Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CO

mcattack

in my opinion, go with the sig X5. it's lighter leading to faster transitions with it and the single action trigger is better than that first shot double action pull. Check out the Walther PPQ m2 match as well

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

in my opinion, go with the sig X5. it's lighter leading to faster transitions with it and the single action trigger is better than that first shot double action pull. Check out the Walther PPQ m2 match as well

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I really wouldn’t use the DA is not as good first shot. If you’re practicing enough it won’t make a big difference, and the SA is going to be better than a striker SA.

If you want to go CZ you’ll have to mill the slide. Plenty of used options here though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definitely want to run something that has the optic recessed as deeply into the slide as possible. 

I own a Walther Q5 match, but have a standard PPQ off for surgery right now: you can get the dot down much closer to where you’re used to looking for irons if you mill it directly into the slide without adapter plates.

i got a lightened slide for my shadow 2 and have used it in a couple of matches now.

with the 11# hammer spring in there my DA pull has really lightened up to the point where I don't consider my first shot

a "token" shot anymore , it's right on with my SA shots now.

Went by my gun shop and he has an X5 and it feels pretty good. is the recoil the same as xdm. $889 without optic, I dont know if thats a good price but feels ok. He di not have any CZ's to look at. 

I have a Glock 19 with a comp and a RMR, but I’m also waiting on a spare slide for my Shadow 2 that I plan on using for CO. The trigger is just so much better on the CZ and it feels better in the hand. 

My 320 has an X5 grip, but it’s not milled for an RMR yet. 

I've got a SIG, XDm and a Tanfo (obviously the closest to a CZ) I like the Tanfo a lot 

BUT

Doing on the timer drills, I can't shoot the difference.

Usually the SIg x-5 with a DPP on it is slightly faster if you count a 100 round avg of .01 enough to count.

Yeah, I know in a 100 round match that's a second.

Buy the one you like and fits your hand the best.

Nice thing about the Sigs and XDm's are the slides are already set up for optics, no additional milling required

I shoot steel SV grips on my SV full length dust cover in limited and short DC in my 3G SV. Heavy is an issue because I prefer it, significantly.  The impulse/recoil/flip are all consistent as far as I am concerned.  My XD was done by Scott Springer so it was a performer but I prefer a steel gun.

I can give you some of my experience as I started with a 320RX with the X5 frame and I now use a S2 in CO. The S2 is a better performing gun, hands down. Better accuracy, shoots flatter, feels better in my hand. The RX is much simpler and easier to maintain. But once you get it, you'll see the aftermarket scene is basically "you can have anything you want as long as it's GrayGuns". 

Now, I'm a tinkerer and I like to fine tune things, so being very simple and having few parts gets boring to me. If you're the type that just wants to the go to the range and sling lead and not do a bunch of upkeep and install upgrades, the X5 is gonna be for you. If you like to tune your guns, try different stuff out, put on colorful grips (aka play Gun Barbie), then a CZ or Glock is a better option.

If I were to do it all again, I would have done my CO milling using my AccuShadow rather than my Shadow 2 as the S1 starts out at 42oz and the S2 is 47oz so you have to make compromises to make weight such as a polymer guide rod and lightweight grips whereas with the S1 I would be able to put more weight on in the grips and keep other heavy non moving parts. Also the S1 has a slightly thinner profile which I can grip just slightly more authoritatively but that's just my stumpy hands. 

That said I love my S2 with optic. You will probably be fine with either gun, comes down to personal preference. 

4 minutes ago, Wrecks said:

I can give you some of my experience as I started with a 320RX with the X5 frame and I now use a S2 in CO. The S2 is a better performing gun, hands down. Better accuracy, shoots flatter, feels better in my hand. The RX is much simpler and easier to maintain. But once you get it, you'll see the aftermarket scene is basically "you can have anything you want as long as it's GrayGuns". 

Now, I'm a tinkerer and I like to fine tune things, so being very simple and having few parts gets boring to me. If you're the type that just wants to the go to the range and sling lead and not do a bunch of upkeep and install upgrades, the X5 is gonna be for you. If you like to tune your guns, try different stuff out, put on colorful grips (aka play Gun Barbie), then a CZ or Glock is a better option.

If I were to do it all again, I would have done my CO milling using my AccuShadow rather than my Shadow 2 as the S1 starts out at 42oz and the S2 is 47oz so you have to make compromises to make weight such as a polymer guide rod and lightweight grips whereas with the S1 I would be able to put more weight on in the grips and keep other heavy non moving parts. Also the S1 has a slightly thinner profile which I can grip just slightly more authoritatively but that's just my stumpy hands. 

That said I love my S2 with optic. You will probably be fine with either gun, comes down to personal preference. 

Thanks good information, I was kinda leaning toward CZ. Who did the work on your S2, looking at Cajun web site right now.

Edited by mcattack

1 minute ago, mcattack said:

Thanks good information, I was kinda leaning toward CZ. Who did the work on your S2, looking at Cajun web site right now.

I did it through CGW, fantastic service. We spoke on the phone a few times about the milling and they were incredibly helpful and really fast - the slide was gone for about 7 days from day I shipped to day it came back.

Their other parts are fantastic quality and I think at this point my gun is Cajun enough to cook gumbo.

I shoot polymer and steel guns in CO, and I've always found that I have a flat shooter it's easier to keep on the dot. Lighter guns really exaggerate door bounce, but only when I don't grip the gun correctly. I could loose grip my Tanfoglio and not even know it. Just like any other gun, it comes down to what feels good to you.

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/25/2018 at 10:34 PM, Wrecks said:

I did it through CGW, fantastic service. We spoke on the phone a few times about the milling and they were incredibly helpful and really fast - the slide was gone for about 7 days from day I shipped to day it came back.

Their other parts are fantastic quality and I think at this point my gun is Cajun enough to cook gumbo.

Sorry to necro this thread, but how much did it cost for CGW to machine your slide? And did you need to refinish it?

I started with a Glock 34 MOS, but I never got used to the grip. Added a new trigger system which helped alot, but it still felt weird. I kept seeing CZ's dominate a lot of larger matches, and noted how many shooters use them in Production.

Liking steel guns far more then plastic, I called Stuart at CZ Custom and he took the time to explain what CZC would do for me and the options he really recommended. I went with a new CZ SP-01, had the slide milled for the plate to hold the dot, had the short disconnector added, plus the full trigger job. Best purchase ever made. You cannot get the dot any lower, although I question the need to do so. If you look at open dots they sit quite a bit higher on the frame.

Anyway, in my personal opinion, the CZ is the platform, whether you choose the SP-01 or any of the new Shadows, they all can be made to make weight and perform at an incredibly high level. I have had one failure to fire this year, and it was a primer. I have had no jams, mis feeds, stovepipes, nada, all with my oddball reloads. Just a fantastic firearm from a superb custom shop.

With CZ you're going to have to roll your own, nothign comes from the factory to the USA ready to go. In CO I have shot a G34 with a dovetail adapter and a RMR. Then I shot a SP01 Shadow with a dovetail mount and a RMR and a FF3. Then I got a milled slide for that gun and the FF3. Now I shoot a Shadow 2 with a milled in Venom. For all of the same reasons the Shadow 2 is an awesome Production gun for me it is a great CO gun. The only negative is the extra work it takes to make it under 45 ounces. But whoever you pay to do the work is doing it, so no sweat off your brow.

Since you want to test the CO water, I suggest starting with something simple, something you may already have that could be easily adapted to work.  This way if you decide CO is not for you, you are not out a lot of money.  When I started in CO, I had a CZ Phantom in the safe not doing anything so I started in CO with this by putting a Springer plate on with a Burris FF3.  Had a blast and jumped in with both feet.  The Phantom is now my backup and my primary is a CZC Shadow with SP01 milled slide and DPP. Works great. 

I had an awesome Stock 2 with a Primary Machine dovetail mount and Delta Point. With Scales grips & a CZ polymer guide rod, it weighed 44.9oz.  Before that it was all on a Limited Pro. Just superb guns, but it was a pain & expensive to get the triggers that good.  I now have the X5 with Romeo 1 6moa dot, Gray Guns full trigger, steel guide rod. 2.75# trigger, never malfunctions, and comes with all the mags you'll need. Plus it isn't picky on primers. 

If you have medium to large hands, the Shadow/SP01 may be too small for you. I felt cramped with my Shadow. Just crowded into the controls. 

5 minutes ago, eerw said:

I'm pretty happy with my SP01 Shadow set up as a CO pistol.

Making the SHadow 2 has been pretty popular also.

but I am kind of CZ centric...

58899606_ShadowCOcarryopticIMG_4297.thumb.jpg.a3605aea41c502963587b24466e3d0b6.jpg

Do you notice a big difference when you switch back and forth between your Shadow 2 and the Shadow? I'm debating on whether to get a Shadow to set up for CO or whether to modify my Shadow 2. 

I’ve been thinking of diving into the carry optics division and would build an SP01 for it. I would be tempted to get a shadow 2 but living in California the gun is not on the roster which would mean I’d have to pay a premium to get the gun and then spend a bunch more to get it ready to compete.