Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which red dot for CO on Stock 2, and why

Dazhi

Which red dot for CO on Stock 2, and why  

113 members have voted

1. 1. Which red dot do you prefer on your Stock 2 for CO? Why?

• DPP
    • Romeo 1
    • Romeo 3
    • Burris FF3
    • Vortex Venom
    • Vortex Viper
    • RMR Type 2
    • Other
  2. 2. What's the most important factor when choosing a red dot for CO?

• Reliability and durability
    • Window size and optics clarity
    • Brightness
    • Weight and compatibility on Stock 2
    • Height of dot
    • Cost
    • Other

Not if you don’t have a practice / backup gun. :D 

I don’t compete seriously enough to have gone there yet. 99.999997% of my shooting is at locals.

“Oops. Gun went down. I guess I’ll go home and cut the grass.”

(I’ve never actually had a gun break and take me out of a match in 10 years of this sport. I replace parts religiously.)

Edited by MemphisMechanic

41 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Not if you don’t have a practice / backup gun. :D 

I don’t compete seriously enough to have gone there yet. 99.999997% of my shooting is at locals.

“Oops. Gun went down. I guess I’ll go home and cut the grass.”

(I’ve never actually had a gun break and take me out of a match in 10 years of this sport. I replace parts religiously.)

I have been shooting for only 3 years but I already had 2 occasions I need to use the backup gun.  Once I forgot to bring my main to the match, but I religiously bring my backup all the time :)  The other time the main had a loose front sight.  

Edited by Dazhi

On 10/21/2018 at 2:44 PM, jripper said:

I’ve been running a rts2.  So far this one is running good (after being returned 3times). I have a dpp but I like the rts2 better.  I’m to the point where I don’t think any of them last forever.  

Had a RTS2 go down on me yesterday, the dot suddenly went to the top of the glass and all shots hitting below the target, then all over the place. This one was just back from Cmore for a very dim dot. Have two DPP's back for repair, who knows when I will see them back. So yeah three guns is beginning to sound about right for CO.

44 minutes ago, xdnok said:

Had a RTS2 go down on me yesterday, the dot suddenly went to the top of the glass and all shots hitting below the target, then all over the place. This one was just back from Cmore for a very dim dot. Have two DPP's back for repair, who knows when I will see them back. So yeah three guns is beginning to sound about right for CO.

I have 2 guns and an extra slide.

My spare spare broke during my last match.  the screws pulled out of the dove tail.   the optic naturally hit me in the face.  after realizing i was fubar, i actually hit 2A and 2 steel with no sights and no optic. Then went home.

On 10/20/2018 at 10:13 PM, johnbu said:

Good luck. At 2.7 oz for the optic you will have to really find places to pull metal out.  there are ways, but it takes a bit of work

Good point, I honestly didn't look that far ahead. 

1 hour ago, B21 said:

Good point, I honestly didn't look that far ahead. 

I run a (1.9oz) DeltaPoint Pro. Wanted the slide lighter than stock *with* the weight of the optic, to see if the gun shoots a little flatter.

It does. But getting that much weight out of a shorty (4” PPQ) slide meant some serious carving, and Mark at L&M Precision Gunworks did a phenomenal job on it:

615AE91D-07D6-4A8E-B639-A7B37E801C89.thumb.jpeg.3b72aafe6a981f8f536c9fe196e0ad8e.jpegFD0C3F8D-EDE1-4666-B4A4-D3C7274D6A49.thumb.jpeg.778b88e69a67fa3aafaf5caad39e1019.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Hey folks - got my S2 milled for a DPP by J & L Gunsmithing - they did a great job and it was a quick turnaround.  I actually also tried a Sig R1 - holes line up, required minor adjustments - and there are pros and cons.

Sig R1 is wider and significantly lighter - lighter than the iron sights it replaces lol.  But reliability is WAY too low - went down for me at Area 8 last year - buttons broke, got a new one from Sig, that broke, called it a day.

DPP is the best option for pretty much anything red dot wise - only better is a Holosun for PCC and  Slideride for open or PCC if applicable - for microdots, get a DPP and call it a day.

On 11/3/2018 at 6:22 PM, BritinUSA said:

Are you going to run an Apex trigger on there? 

Nope. Factory trigger with a sprinco trigger return spring is 3.75lbs and it shoots great as is.

On 11/11/2018 at 6:53 AM, Zmaniac said:

Slide cuts look great!  Undercut trigger guard, did you have beavertail undercut also?

I did all the work myself. Trigger guard is undercut. Didn’t do anything to the beavertail area.

On 11/11/2018 at 9:11 PM, rpm8300 said:

Hey folks - got my S2 milled for a DPP by J & L Gunsmithing - they did a great job and it was a quick turnaround.  I actually also tried a Sig R1 - holes line up, required minor adjustments - and there are pros and cons.

Sig R1 is wider and significantly lighter - lighter than the iron sights it replaces lol.  But reliability is WAY too low - went down for me at Area 8 last year - buttons broke, got a new one from Sig, that broke, called it a day.

DPP is the best option for pretty much anything red dot wise - only better is a Holosun for PCC and  Slideride for open or PCC if applicable - for microdots, get a DPP and call it a day.

Jim does a phenomenal job milling slides! I've been in his shop.

• 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...