Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Base pads for production

alien_pickles

I've been considering investing in some heavier base pads for my mags to add a little bit of extra weight. I can't tell based on the description though if they actually will add more length to it. Has anyone tried them? Will they make the gun too big to fit in the box? I'm running a G17 gen 4 with a large backstrap. I was considering either the Tartan Tactical +0 or the Glockstore. The glockstore ones look big...

Also, if they do fit into the box, any recommendations on one over the other?

The Taran’s zero add a little weight and no capacity.  The +3+4 add capacity but don’t add as much weight.  I have a g34 with his sights and pads and they fit the box.  They both add about a half inch of length over stock.  Very easy to take off and on.

On 8/25/2018 at 12:17 PM, rooster said:

The Taran’s zero add a little weight and no capacity.  The +3+4 add capacity but don’t add as much weight.  I have a g34 with his sights and pads and they fit the box.  They both add about a half inch of length over stock.  Very easy to take off and on.

Are the TT basepads any wider?  I am looking to replace the G5 basepads for a G5 G34.  Did not want any problems with the flared magwell.....

T

Really don’t know.  I think over at Taran’s website he gives the dimensions of his pads.  I don’t know anything about the gen5 pistols, or their mags.  All my glocks are  gen 3’s.  I think I read somewhere that gen 5 mags are not compatible with any other gens, not-sure if Taran’s pads fit gen 5 guns.  I think they only changed the lips because of the ambi mag catch.

6 minutes ago, rooster said:

Really don’t know.  I think over at Taran’s website he gives the dimensions of his pads.  I don’t know anything about the gen5 pistols, or their mags.  All my glocks are  gen 3’s.  I think I read somewhere that gen 5 mags are not compatible with any other gens, not-sure if Taran’s pads fit gen 5 guns.  I think they only changed the lips because of the ambi mag catch.

All of mine are G3 guns too.  First G5 and the mags are all compatible I just can not pinch the sides of the mag to strip a mag out due to the dang magwell on it.  I want a longer basepad and to get rid of the stupid lip on the front of the G5 mags.  Thx

T

On 8/25/2018 at 8:44 AM, alien_pickles said:

I've been considering investing in some heavier base pads for my mags to add a little bit of extra weight. I can't tell based on the description though if they actually will add more length to it. Has anyone tried them? Will they make the gun too big to fit in the box? I'm running a G17 gen 4 with a large backstrap. I was considering either the Tartan Tactical +0 or the Glockstore. The glockstore ones look big...

Also, if they do fit into the box, any recommendations on one over the other?

Springer Precision makes +0 basepads and they are half the crazy price of the Taran Tactical ones.....

T

On 8/27/2018 at 10:11 PM, Tattoo said:

Springer Precision makes +0 basepads and they are half the crazy price of the Taran Tactical ones.....

T

So, it looks like the Tartan Tactical ones are 1.6 ounces, the Glockstore are 1.4 ounces, and the Springer Precision are 1.0 ounces. That has me leaning towards TT for the weight, BUT... the springer ones are half the length at only +0.25 inches compared to the +0.5 inch TT ones, making the Springer ones more likely to fit in the box. Unless I'm interpreting that incorrectly. I don't see any kind of measurement on the glockstore ones. And Springer is half the price, which is a significant savings when buying at least 5 of them...

On 8/27/2018 at 2:41 PM, Tattoo said:

Are the TT basepads any wider?  I am looking to replace the G5 basepads for a G5 G34.  Did not want any problems with the flared magwell.....

T

I run the TTI plus 3 in a gen 5 34 and they work fine.

6 hours ago, Tattoo said:

Thanks.  Just putting my CO Gen5 34 together now

T

I have 2 of the plus 3 and 1 plus 5 and they have been flawless. TTI cost more, but they work. I also run the TTI grandmaster trigger kit in the gen 5 34 and it has been flawless so far, only have three matches with it so far but no problems.

I run the 21 round magpuls for CO. Work great, and got them on sale for $15.00 each a while back. 

Coming from Single Stack I can always find a place to reload on a stage. So the 21 round mags hasn’t seemed like any disadvantage. 

Oops. Sorry OP for getting off track. 

Edited by BASE772

On 9/4/2018 at 4:00 PM, galt11 said:

Most of these pads also say they are easier to remove than the factory ones.  Do you find that to be true and to a significant amount?

Adam

I have only used the Dawson base pad for  2011’s and yes they make disassembly a snap.  You need to disassemble 2011 mags.  I have run the same 5 stock G34 mags for over 20-25k rounds and have yet to disassemble them and they run flawlessly....

T

On 8/31/2018 at 5:31 PM, BASE772 said:

I run the 21 round magpuls for CO. Work great, and got them on sale for $15.00 each a while back. 

Coming from Single Stack I can always find a place to reload on a stage. So the 21 round mags hasn’t seemed like any disadvantage. 

Oops. Sorry OP for getting off track. 

I got the  21rd mags from  Magpul too and they work great.  Less than $15.  Can’t beat it.

T

Magpul 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I recently got a set of the Ghost MOAB nameplates for free:

https://ghostinc.com/moab-mother-of-all-baseplates-for-glocks/

They dont add any weight (maybe a few grams), but seeing as I dont have issues with magazines quickly dropping free, I dont mind. I really like the additional profile/grip they add to the magazine when pulling them from pouches. They're also extremely nice to palm into the grip of the gun vs a stock nameplate. 

• 4 weeks later...

https://www.brownells.com/magazines/handgun-magazines/magazine-parts/magazine-extension/small-black-sku642000001-9519-23531.aspx?sku=642000001

I have used these and really like them. Plus for only $15 you cant go wrong. Just shot an area match and everything was within the guidelines for USPSA production!

https://www.amazon.com/Extended-Brass-Magazine-Plate-glock/dp/B01MCYZAQJ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1542715026&sr=8-2&keywords=brass+base+pad

Get yourself some bling and extra weight! Just be aware that I have no idea if these will fit in the box.

Edited by Xanatos903

for Carry Optics - I've tried 3 different mag bases - TTI, Dawson, and HYVE - TTI gets the nod by a wide margin - they are 23 round capacity and the profile is much more handy to grasp from the belt.  The Dawson and especially the Hyve are just too big and on a 140MM base pad it just makes for a less consistent grab for me.  They all will take a set to the spring pretty quick and the slide will stop locking back on empty - so be aware.

For Production - I'd look at the Dawson Precision probably - depending on sights I'd lean toward the +.100 to keep it pretty handy - I like smaller base pads but this is absolutely a preference thing and you're probably going to want to try grasping a couple of each to see if they're for you. I assume with most glock sights they would fit in the box no problems.

On August 27, 2018 at 3:25 PM, rooster said:

Taran's base pads fit the gen 5's.  At least the +0 for the G19 do.