Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

X-5 LARGE grip module

jcc7x7

Been searching the web for x-5 LARGE grip module!!!

Some where I found one a while ago and can't relocate it!

Think it was an Military/LE supplier who had them with the weight and mag funnel.

Any help would be appreciated, I can find the med. size but not the large

Thanks 

Correct. I talked to a senior Sig CS manager very recently, and asked him when they'd have the grip in large. He said there's not much demand for large grips, so small would be first. But no time frames given.

• 2 weeks later...

I've grown tired of waiting around for Sig to ever release a large grip module. I'm 6'-9" with hands to match, every time I've picked up my X5 I love the feel of the grip but just wish it was a bit larger so I wasn't so crowded. With an entire weekend of rain swamping my area and all the kids sporting events cancelled, I decided to give my own modification a go.

I looked around online and found a product called apoxie which is a two-part modeling epoxy that has the consistency of modeling clay once mixed. After fully mixing the two parts and letting it sit for 5 minutes you can then start slapping it on your grip and sculpting. You have at least 30 minutes to an hour to work with it.

I had grip tape on it already that was bonded nice and good. To retain the ability to perhaps someday remove this if the fancy strikes me, I decided I would just put the epoxy sculpt right over top of this grip. Here is the grip with the epoxy molded onto it to provide the additional girth needed.

2w2lgfd.jpg

I gave it about 6 hours and it was already hard so I went ahead and sanded it to get a uniform width and surface finish. Fully wiped it down and cleaned it with alcohol as well to make sure I had a good surface for the next stage. Wanted to make sure that I didn't exceed the 1.5" USPSA box width. It is under that. I focused on putting additional material on the front with a finger groove, on the back to provide a hump and on the left and right sides as well.

Next step was masking tape, then some 15-minute epoxy brushed on. The application of 60/90 silicon carbide grit finished the process. I think it turned out pretty good. I felt like Alma Cole, just without any of the shooting ability.?

2qjvtog.jpg

I'm going to let it fully harden overnight and do a clean and reassemble tomorrow. Just based on the girth from the apoxie alone it provided a significant increase in size that allowed my enormous left palm to actually come into contact with the grip! the silicon carbide grit application will provide a tiny additional increase in size.

PS. I uploaded the pictures through tinypic, which I've never used before. I hope they don't crap out.

Nice work, since Sig won't step up to the plate on large X grips.

I have large hands also, I wear XL to XXL gloves. I put the med X-Grip under my full size 320RX, but didn't like the small feel. I ended up with the Large standard grip module for that gun. I was worried about that when I got my X-Five, but the magwell is a great place for my support hand to rest, and makes the grip comfortable for me.

• 2 months later...

I was told by a SIG CS Manager that I have worked with at SIG for over 5 years that the small X5 grip module would be the first run and right now they anticipate the tooling to be complete and assembled grip modules to be shipping in late Feb or early March 2019....I guess time will tell if this info is accurate....I asked if he felt confident this information was accurate and he said he would give this release timeline a 75% chance of being accurate......Mark