Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

D650 primer system problems: replacing indexing arm and spring constantly

Seems like every 800-1000 rounds since I got the machine (15,00 rounds maybe so far? of 9mm only, back and forth between major and minor PF) I’ve had to replace either the spring or the indexing arm...

The arm has broken twice and the springs get really bent out of shape and fail to provide enough pressure onto the disk to get the primers to line up in the primer punch assembly. It’s like the disk is short stroking, only spinning about half of what it should to cycle the next primer.

The quick fix is for me to take my hand off the handle and manually half cycle the disk/index arm.

I’ve called Dillon a couple of times and got some replacement parts, as well as have ordered multiple times from their site, both individual parts and full spare parts kits just to have extra...

I recently ordered 2 springs and index arms from Dillon on July 4th and have gone through both...

Anyone have any ideas?
Everything gets lubed after about 1k rounds or so and I try and clean the shell plate area every time I spill powder, etc... the disc detent ball and springs are new and basically so is everything else in the system that’s replaceable.

I thought maybe it might be a worn primer cam causing these problems, so I replaced it a while back... both look to have about the same wear as each other now and I can’t tell the difference. I even tried adding spacers/washers to the primer cam bolts to maybe put more tension on the primer bar/spring but I felt that it was putting unnecessary stress on the parts with little to no benefit.

For what it’s worth, the failsafe bracket gets bent sometimes and maybe provides some extra space for the index spring to wobble around, but I do my best to flatten it back down...

TL;dr I go through primer index springs like crazy and to a lesser extent, primer indexing arms, any ideas why? I might as well buy a new primer system as they’re only $80 and I’ve probably spent close to that on spare parts by now.

Thanks.

I wish I could help.  I've had to replace them more than any other part but not nearly as often as you.

Roughly once a year. I'm producing roughly 15,000/year.

I've always replace them as a pair but wonder if the problem is mainly the spring tension.

I've had one spring break.

I had one Dillon tech tell me that the orientation of the "bowed washer" that provides hold down tension to the index arm was important but I've tried it both ways and didn't see any difference.

Edited by ddc