Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&P40 CORE Optic suggestions

idleclamp

Let me start out by recognizing that this wasn't the smartest thing to do:

I got a smokin' good deal on a M&P40 CORE last year.  I've been busy with other projects and basically parked in the safe until earlier this month.  Then I decided to get an optic for it because, hey, it has a spot for one, right?  I did some quick research and all threads I could find were a couple of years old.  Long story short, basically because a lot of people seemed to like the Deltapoint, I ended up getting going with that....except I bought the Deltapoint Pro.  Because I thought it would be the same, but better.  Well, the damn thing didn't fit any of the mounts.  So, I ordered the mount that Leupold makes.  The problem I have is that it sits too high for my liking.  So I decided to modify the Deltapoint mount (type 2) so I could use it.  Except the optic sits about 1/16" too far forward to make it work.  So I'm stuck.  Take a dremel to my brand new optic, find a place to mill my slide, or get another new optic.  I'm leaning towards getting a new optic, but wanted to get some current opinions.  If I decide to leave the irons on the gun, I want the sight tall enough to 1/3 co-witness.  With the Deltapoint Pro, the irons are useless.

Leupold mount 2.jpg

co-witness sounds good in theory, but, for me, after shooting open guns for 14 years, it confuses me to see more than just the dot, in the window.

I currently have Fastfire3, Romeo1, Romeo3, and Vortex Viper..

I'm a little color blind, so I really need as bright a dot as possible, I looked through a Venom, and it wasn't bright enough for me, but, guys that aren't color blind seem to like them.

The glass is smaller than I like on the Fastfire. The other 3, are all about the same. Vortex has the best warranty, which is why I'm considering switching every one to Vortex.

I'm starting to get away from back up irons on competition guns for that same reason.  On my AR's, if they have BUIS, they're flip-ups.  Evidently, the Viper won't fit on the CORE either.  I watched a video where a guy took a file to remove the .020" needed to make it fit.  I couldn't find another optic that I was super-excited about, not to mention I already spent a bunch on this one.  Soooo, who' not afraid to take a dremel to a brand new gun and optic?  Apparently, this guy.?   Well, it fits now.  It still sits a little higher than I want it too (regardless of the irons).  I haven't been able to shoot it yet, because now it doesn't have screws that are the right length.  Those are enroute.  But, how does it look?

DeltapointProMounted.jpg

jpoint/shield mini sight. Mine 9L performance center came with one on there , sits very low, easy to find the dot,

I have the 4 and 8moa versions and the 8 works really well for competition shooting (steel/USPSA). I have a Venom on my Shadow 2 and honestly 

between the JPoint 8moa and the Venom 6moa, I could go with either, the Jpoint sits a little lower than the 

venom and it definitely drops right on to a M&P.

I had the 4moa on my shadow and did not love it so I found a 6moa Venom and that's on there now.

the 8 stays on my 9L as I still use that gun for Steel matches

If your not afraid to take a dremel to your slide here’s what I did

I used the mounting plate for old delta pro 

cut off the polymer part then dremeled the slide in a curved fashion rite behind the barrel hood to accept the curve of the DPP went to hardware store got some slightly longer screws and BAM !!!

worked great 

leaves a little gap behind sight but doesn’t bother me one bit 

no lie I hit the raw stailess with a sharpie looks great and the sight sits as low as posible