Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hooded holster vs locking race holster

Shooter212

1 hour ago, usmc1974 said:

I don't see the problem, seems like much to do about nothing, IPSC/USPSA is not telling you. You (got) to by this are that holster!!! Buy the holster you want and feel safe with.

The issue as I see it isn’t the ability to choose different holsters with varying types of locking mechanisms it’s that one is required to be engaged (causing a potentially slower disadvantageous draw) while another that performs the same or similar function which is not required to be engaged (faster more advantageous draw) as I’ve said before it’s arbitrary in its intention to application depending on how a retention system looks rather than its purpose. 

3 minutes ago, Akkid17 said:

The issue as I see it isn’t the ability to choose different holsters with varying types of locking mechanisms it’s that one is required to be engaged (causing a potentially slower disadvantageous draw) while another that performs the same or similar function which is not required to be engaged (faster more advantageous draw) as I’ve said before it’s arbitrary in its intention to application depending on how a retention system looks rather than its purpose. 

In my mind, unless you are LEO running duty gear, you are doing it wrong if shooting USPSA with a retention rig. All this hubbub over something we rarely see and there is an effective rule to address it.

6 minutes ago, Sarge said:

In my mind, unless you are LEO running duty gear, you are doing it wrong if shooting USPSA with a retention rig. All this hubbub over something we rarely see and there is an effective rule to address it.

I disagree, one specific reason why a person would run retention gear is, Someone that runs a hooded holster for multigun and wants to shoot USPSA handgun with that gear. Why should they be penalized by adding an additional step to their draw because the retention device is a ‘strap’ as opposed to a lever? 

3 hours ago, Akkid17 said:

. Why should they be penalized by adding an additional step to their draw because the retention device is a ‘strap’ as opposed to a lever? 

Because as it currently stands it’s a rule in our book.

I would buy another holster and swap it out for USPSA. Or, close the hood and embrace the suck.

Just because rules are set doesn't mean they shouldn't be discussed for further change. If you're really trying to encourage people to try out the sport, it includes making it accessible to others. While holsters are cheap comparatively to the rest of the sport, it's still a good chunk of change, especially if someone is unsure about USPSA. I still have yet to hear a good argument why people should be forced to use the hood other than, "It's in the rule book." Rather, there's been more discussion of realizing it's an outdated rule. 

3 minutes ago, SlvrDragon50 said:

Just because rules are set doesn't mean they shouldn't be discussed for further change. If you're really trying to encourage people to try out the sport, it includes making it accessible to others. While holsters are cheap comparatively to the rest of the sport, it's still a good chunk of change, especially if someone is unsure about USPSA. I still have yet to hear a good argument why people should be forced to use the hood other than, "It's in the rule book." Rather, there's been more discussion of realizing it's an outdated rule. 

I am fine with a rule change in almost any case. But as long as the rules prohibit/permit something then we should follow them until if/when they change.

I am fine with a rule change in almost any case. But as long as the rules prohibit/permit something then we should follow them until if/when they change.

Oh I completely agree. I don’t think the OP was suggesting that (I hope not anyways?). I think realistically drawing with the hood is not going to affect your scores unless it’s a classifier and you’re above an A class.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, Brooke said:

The rules are the rules. If you find them unacceptable don't shoot USPSA. Why so much energy complaining? get a new holster

That’s a lazy argument, ‘buy more stuff’ that’s in the same vein as saying you can always quit, you could just move, you don’t have to buy from that store, you could just leave. All of those choices, yes I understand they are choices and that you are indeed free to make them, come with varying levels of consequences in cost or other hardship, saying someone should ‘just buy another holster’ isn’t addressing the actual root of the issue. It shouldn’t matter if you’re a GM or unclassified the rules are set forth so that everyone should be able to shoot the same match and have the same opportunity to compete on a level playing field and a rule that is applicable only to one type of gear because of its appearance while serving the same function as another device is just subjective and since the letter of the rule says it’s how it should be done doesn’t make it acceptable. 

Side note: I see this sort of discussion as beneficial to the sport because it shows the active engagement of its membership who care to help make it better rather than let it stagnate. 

These days I draw my handgun from a retention holster more often than not. It's not because it is faster (obviously), but because my primary interest in USPSA is as practice for 3-Gun. I just accept that I am going to be a little slower getting the handgun into action (no hood, just a retention lever). Fortunately, in most non-classifier stages the latency is insignificant, at least at my level.

To the OP: If you are like me and 3-Gun practice is why you are shooting USPSA, I would suggest you continue to shoot with the hood closed so that releasing it becomes second nature. You fight as you train :D

4 hours ago, Akkid17 said:

That’s a lazy argument, ‘buy more stuff’ that’s in the same vein as saying you can always quit, you could just move, you don’t have to buy from that store, you could just leave. All of those choices, yes I understand they are choices and that you are indeed free to make them, come with varying levels of consequences in cost or other hardship, saying someone should ‘just buy another holster’ isn’t addressing the actual root of the issue. It shouldn’t matter if you’re a GM or unclassified the rules are set forth so that everyone should be able to shoot the same match and have the same opportunity to compete on a level playing field and a rule that is applicable only to one type of gear because of its appearance while serving the same function as another device is just subjective and since the letter of the rule says it’s how it should be done doesn’t make it acceptable. 

Side note: I see this sort of discussion as beneficial to the sport because it shows the active engagement of its membership who care to help make it better rather than let it stagnate. 

Agree 100%. If everyone's response was just "well, those are rules, and if you don't like them, you can get out", then we'd all still be shooting pimped-out single-stack 1911s in leather holsters and having to do somersaults in equipment check. To be fair, I don't approve of pointless complaining either, but I think that a civil and constructive discussion about the rules and the rationale behind them (which is what I'd say is happening here) is necessary to keep the sport from stagnating to the point of irrelevance.