Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Who makes the softest .40 sw off the shelf?

Ozy

just finished shooting Area 8 today and got to try the Federal Syntech 205 grain .40 factory ammo through my Para's. It was very soft shooting, no smoking and put it through chrono for curiosity. It made 167 out my 5 inch barrel

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

13 hours ago, RangerTrace said:

Atlanta Arms

I am at the tail end of 500 rounds of Atlanta Arms 180gr and I did not find it to be soft shooting at all.  Loud too.   Syntech is the softest for me so far, but unfortunately I am seeing some tumbling with it out of my CK 5".

Edited by LMS

On 8/27/2018 at 5:54 PM, Ssanders224 said:

http://www.precisiondelta.com/products/40-s-w-180gr-fmj-long-remanufactured-ammunition/

PD developed this ammo specifically for  2011s in USPSA Limited. 

Shoots great, runs clean, makes about 171 PF, and you get a true jacketed bullet. 

This would be my choice too. You get a round that is specifically made for the 2011 platform. You can get it in long loaded or saami length. Because you're getting a jacketed bullet you also won't have to worry about the often thicker bullet diameter of a plated or coated round. 

My SV won't run .401 bullets reliably. Yours may be different but it's easier to just not worry about it and if you buy in quantities to get a price break from Precision Delta the cost per box ends up being pretty reasonable.

• 3 weeks later...

Your SV, if it came from Infinity, probably as the SV barrel.  It is an evolution of the Schuemann barrels.  Schuemann barrels tend to run a little slower.  

I run 1.175 in my reloads.  What does Brandon suggest for your gun?  Factory ammo specs turn my SV into a Jam-O-Matic.  Not fun.

I have a 1000 rounds of Precision Delta sitting on my living room floor waiting to fired. (my 1050 is still packed in a box since I moved)   I will know how it shoots next week.  I need long loaded ammo.  PD was significantly cheaper than Atlanta Arms.  Ginger, at PD, followed up my order with an email(s).  I talked with her about drop shipping my Nationals ammo.  Great Customer Service.

I will take my Chrono out to ensure I make Major PF.  My SV Limited has a Nowlin barrel, it is faster than my SS Schuemann barrel.

• 8 months later...

I found the Syntech 205gr to be the softest on recoil. But I am getting many keyholes (tumbling) at all distances with my CZ TSO. Some reviews led me to believe it was a combination of the CZ barrel and the low velocity Syntech. After reading the comment from LMS in this thread about the same problem with a CK 5, I am now thinking it is more a velocity problem related to the ammo. I tried several other brands of 180gr and 165gr, including Federal products, with no problems.

1 hour ago, CZ-Cliff said:

FWIW, I no longer have this issue.   When an RO saw it he was asking if I was crimping too tight, but I told him it was factory ammo.  I've shoot a couple thousand rounds since then with no issues, so I am wondering if it was just that batch?