Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My new 2011.... Is this grip safety fitment acceptable / normal?

Lockean

I've been a long time lurker and have a learned a lot from this community. I typically don't post (because I don't really have anything of value to add). However, I was hoping to get your thoughts on the fitment of the grip safety on my new 2011. The right side sticks out quite a bit more than the left. It appears that when it was fit material was removed from the left only; making it uneven. This is my first and only 2011 and I'm not sure if fitment as seen below is normal or acceptable (I know on a $3k 1911 it wouldn't be). I am kind of OCD and I'm trying to figure out if this is something I should be justifiably bothered by. haha

Thanks guys,

-L

TXDYZKJ.jpgH7xdrrd.jpg

Edited by Lockean

It looks like the right side wasn't blended as smooth as the left side. If you can't feel it in your grip it is cosmetic. 

But if it bothers I would go talk with the gunsmith and let him know u are not happy with his work and give him a chance to correct it . Ultimately u are the client and it's up to u . If you are not happy and it bothers you have it taken care . Good luck .

Looks to me that the grip safety was improperly made. That's not a part that the builder would normally blend into the grip. I would think that any attempt to blend it into fitting the grip would result in a goofy looking safety.

15 minutes ago, RangerTrace said:

I can't see what your talking about......

It is much higher on the right. Pretty far out of whack to my eye. 

Email the pic to the builder. I’ll bet he takes care of it.

If it fits your hand without any "hot spots" then I'd say it's an acceptable fit. But if you want them to be even, that can be done too. Arguably the best job is one that is symmetrical and fits your hand well.

I intentionally shape my polymer grips a little differently on either side to fit my hand as it wraps around the grip. Even my undercuts usually have a little bias towards matching the angle of my fingers as they wrap around. Looks a little weird, but feels perfect for me.

8 hours ago, scooterj said:

That pistol carries a lifetime warranty. Guve the builder a chance to remedy the imperfection before putting him on blast. 

My intention isn't to put the builder on blast. I haven't even mentioned their name. The builder has provided exceptional service in the past, and my intent was to determine if I would be unreasonable in requesting this to be fixed. I'll reach out to them.

• 4 weeks later...

Unfortunately, things did not go well when attempting to work this out with the builder. CK arms is now essentially “K” arms. Both “C” & “K” said the same thing: they split due to disagreements over the level of workmanship going into the CK line. I’ve worked with Cheely in the past and he’s always been a pleasure to deal with. I was hoping to have a similar experience with his former partner, but didn't.

When I called "K" Arms, I was told the issue was due to the “crap Ed Brown cast grip safety” they stopped using, and that CK guns shouldn’t be expected to have the same workmanship as Freedom guns. However, he offered to fit a new grip safety that would resolve the issue. I thanked him and apologized for the added expense it caused. After sending it in, I was then asked to pay $270. I wasn't too happy about this; there was zero mention of price before I spent $50 sending him the gun. I was literally told I should have purchased a $6k gun if I wanted something cosmetically correct.... I honestly just expected something with the fit and finish of a $1,300 Dan Wesson… or a grip safety with the fit and finish of a $700 Remington R1 (that doesn't have a high spot I could feel holding the gun). 

This post may rub some members the wrong way, that's not my intention. I care more that people (like the poster above) know what they’re getting for their $3k (and what sort of service they can expect). Had I known what I know now, I would have saved and spent a little more money on something else.  

Edited by Lockean

On 8/24/2018 at 5:59 AM, scooterj said:

That pistol carries a lifetime warranty. Guve the builder a chance to remedy the imperfection before putting him on blast. 

Whose lifetime? Yours, or his?

We always called gunsmiths who put out work like that, Hacks. I don't know what they call them now.

It simply astounds me that any builder would use MIM parts in a $3000 gun.  Equally astounding is the assertion (paraphrased) that, yes I used a crap part.  If you wanted better you should have spent $6k.

16 minutes ago, zzt said:

It simply astounds me that any builder would use MIM parts in a $3000 gun.  Equally astounding is the assertion (paraphrased) that, yes I used a crap part.  If you wanted better you should have spent $6k.

I’m glad I’m not alone. He also said my complaint is like buying a car then going back to the dealer because its fuel economy doesn’t match what I read online...

My response: “You can test drive a car at a dealership, there are no CK dealerships. An average hand gun is $600, this gun is 5x that. The average sales price of a new car is $35,000. Would you buy a $175,000 car with an uneven hood?”.  

I’ll post the gun up for sale whenever he sends it back (with a disclaimer). There are zero rounds through it.

Edited by Lockean

31 minutes ago, echotango said:

He gave you a hard time and it was new!?!?! I'd be pissed. 

Correct, though I did purchase it back in March. However 3 months was spent going back and forth until I finally got a slide stop that locked the mag back and matched the finish (I asked and was told it would lock back prior to purchase). 

I never shot it during that time period because I wanted the option to sell it for as much as I could if I got screwed. 

Edited by Lockean