• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haven't tried coated bullets yet. I've got the following load working:

Montana Gold 124gr CMJ 9mm

4.5gr VVN340

1.135 OAL

PF: ~132

N320 might be a better powder for the X5. My load has run perfectly fine in the gun so far. Soft shooting! 

I had less than optimal results with 135 gr bullets but 125’s cut the group in half. 

135gr rn coated:

4 gr cfe pistol

oal: 1.1” 

group: 3.5” at 25 yds

125 gr rn coated:

4.4gr cfe pistol 

oal: 1.1”

group: 2” (outside to outside of holes) at 25 yds

I use xtreme 147 plates on 3.4 n320 1.12 oal and they run great. 

I did not like blue bullets but never tried them in the x5.  I do know a guy who can not get blue bullets 147 to feed in his full size p320 at all. 

Using 124 Gr RN Blue bullets, WSPP,  with 4.1 Gr Win231, OAL @ 1.084-1.088”. 

Ave: 1070 FPS 

HI: 1076 fps

LO: 1064 fps

ES.: 12

SD: 4

i load short because I use the same load on my shadow 2 and TSO.

Really enjoy shooting Ibejiheads 100gr SWC's.  I get them sized .357, they are extremely accurate and loaded to minor PF, pretty soft shooting.  Using up the rest of my SR7625, and when its gone will probably switch to IMR Target, that has worked very well for the one bottle I have tried of it.  Really love the perfectly cut holes they make in cardboard targets.

Both of my Xfives are the most accurate with 124 grain jhp, with 4 grains of Titegroup behind them, in once-fired, same headstamp brass. They average an inch at 25 yards.

That said, Extreme 147 grain hp bullets, with VV310 behind them, using the same brass shoots a lot softer, but, the groups are closer to 2" @ 25 yards, which, for USPSA is accurate enough for most stages.

2 hours ago, RH45 said:

Both of my Xfives are the most accurate with 124 grain jhp, with 4 grains of Titegroup behind them, in once-fired, same headstamp brass. They average an inch at 25 yards.

That said, Extreme 147 grain hp bullets, with VV310 behind them, using the same brass shoots a lot softer, but, the groups are closer to 2" @ 25 yards, which, for USPSA is accurate enough for most stages.

My best results have been with the 124/125gr projectiles as well. I’ve. messed around with some other powders besides Titegroup (N320, Prima V), but with no real difference in performance aside from being a bit cleaner than TG. My regular full-size P320s shoot the 124/125gr bullets better than anything else too. 

1 hour ago, BLUEPSTU said:

Sorry, but I wouldn't know.

I would just about bet my last dollar it doesn’t make minor, but it may function, be accurate, and suit his needs. 

3.3 gr TG over a 147 gr coated lead would most likely make minor in an x5, it did in my XDM 5.25, soft and accurate. I would think 3.7 would be a good place to start with a 124. 

On ‎8‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 6:48 PM, BLUEPSTU said:

I am using 124 gr xtreme with 3.3 grains of titegroup.

I can tell you that 3.4gr of Titegroup with a 125gr Blue Bullet comes in right at 126PF in my X5 Allround.  I'm not sure whether your 320 X5 barrel would be faster or slower, but I'd bump up that load if it's for USPSA.  You are either running right on the edge or are going sub-minor.

147grn fp coated from missouri bullet company, 3.5 gr of zip with 1.145 oal. 

My ppc load with a 125grn fp with the same charge of zip and 1.125 oal would not even pop the slide open when it was new. Now it will cycle the gun but the brass just falls out. Now that its broken in I have springs and a new guide rod on the way to get it to run better with the 125 load.

Edited by JsK

15 hours ago, BillGarlandJr said:

3.6 of Titegroup with a coated 125gr bullet gets me 130-132ish power factor with Blue Bullets, BBI, and Precision. I'll generally go 3.7 to get closer to a 135 power factor since it tightens groups for me a bit.

3.6gr got me to a minimum PF of 132 also (minimum being based on AVG - SD).

25 minutes ago, Dasniper said:

I’m using 4.1gr of titegroup with 124 Xtreme with oal of 1.15 I am also am using a GG guide rod with 14lb ismi recoil spring.  Could I lower to 3.7 and PF still be good for USPSA. Thinking limited division. I’m new to USPSA. 

Probably, but the only way to know for sure would be to chronograph your load.  Velocity is dependent on your gun's barrel and the bullet you are using.  For the same powder charge and OAL, coated bullets are usually close to plated, and both are usually faster than jacketed.

Shooting 9mm in Limited, you will be scored as Minor power factor (PF), which means you have to be above a 125PF using the equation PF = [Velocity (fps)*Bullet Wt (gr)/1000], truncated to a whole number.  Most people like to be somewhere between 130-140 PF to account for differences in weighing scales, temperature, etc, when going to a match with a Chrono stage.  It also helps to knock down steel easier with a low hit.

If you don't have a chrono, ask around at a match to see if the host club might have one that could be setup before or after a match to do a quick chrono check.  Alternately, another competitor may have one and you could meet up at the range sometime.  Due to the possibility of someone shooting their chrono, most people probably won't let you borrow theirs.

• 2 months later...