Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

80% frames

steviesterno

Anybody using an 80% frame, ether as a custom build or to replace the existing? I just learned about this process and figured I would give it a go. Got a gen 3 26 but the lump on the frame had me pointing at the sky. 

So so I ordered the frame, spent 2 hours on it (since I know jack about Glocks in general) and then put it together. I have to say it shoots nice, feels great, and is making me want to dabble in this platform now. 

1F9AAC73-0CF9-4AAE-B320-76500B919CAD.jpeg

19 hours ago, NWfront said:

I'm curious about how the revised V2 full size versions are holding up.  I've always wanted a 17L but the gen 3's give me slide bite. 

I heard that was true with the 26s, too. I hadn't shot one in years but comparing this frame to the stock one, there is WAY more beavertail on the 80%. I would get my finger off the trigger before I would end up getting my thumb web high enough up to get bitten. 

What companies are making these 80% frames? Honestly, it's not something that's been on my radar but could be cool to try some different grip angles ect if the frame is of comparable quality polymer.

Not only do you have to drill three holes on each side, but you have to remove some plastic to make the metal rails fit down into the frame where they can be pin in place to the frame. In addition you have to cut plastic out of the dustcover so the recoil spring unit can fit. Unless you already have a slide and or barrel and other parts you're not using it's not worth it. If you are LE or retired LE or a member of GSSF it's for certain not worth it in cost or frustration. 

9 hours ago, Gary1911A1 said:

Not only do you have to drill three holes on each side, but you have to remove some plastic to make the metal rails fit down into the frame where they can be pin in place to the frame. In addition you have to cut plastic out of the dustcover so the recoil spring unit can fit. Unless you already have a slide and or barrel and other parts you're not using it's not worth it. If you are LE or retired LE or a member of GSSF it's for certain not worth it in cost or frustration. 

If anyone plans a Glock purchase why not join GSSF for two years for the discounts?  It's a huge savings compared to stores here in California. Maybe other states aren't so crazy?

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/3/2018 at 8:07 AM, mike4540 said:

Polymer80 seems to be the one I see the most,on sale at the moment on sale at Brownells and Midway ,around $120. I would like to try one as well and this may be a good time to do it.

Polymer80 is who I went with, but ordered from Hinterland arms. under $100 shipped. 

On 9/4/2018 at 1:15 PM, Bsbllrooster said:

How much work do you have to do to an 80%frame? Drill some holes or is it more complicated?

a bit more complicated, see below. 

On 9/4/2018 at 3:31 PM, Gary1911A1 said:

the newer Gen 2 DOES NOT require you to fit rails. You drill holes for the pins, and in a small Glock that's 2, in the bigger it's 3 per side. THey give you the jig and actually advise you do it by hand, not a drill press. worked fine for me. The rails are a drop in unit, so they are steel just like a "real" glock. no fitting. the polymer you need to remove on the top of the frame can be snipped off with cutting pliers easily and sanded flat. the guide rod channel can be milled out, and then include one. But I don't have a mill and the hand drill got crazy with that bit, so I just used an exacto knife and got the rest out. 

On 9/5/2018 at 1:03 AM, Paul49 said:

If anyone plans a Glock purchase why not join GSSF for two years for the discounts?  It's a huge savings compared to stores here in California. Maybe other states aren't so crazy?

no reason not to if you like Glocks. I honestly think if you're building your first 80% you should get a fully working glock and steal all the parts. that way you can fix one thing at a time rather than try and trouble shoot all the random stuff. 

I was a member of GSSF but haven't shot the once a year match in a while. the discount is nice, but there are always people selling the certificates on this page for $425 so that's about what I consider the cost of a new Glock (standard model). the 80% makes sense to me if you don't like the grip angle, want to customize a frame without a risk to your original, you like the idea of tinkering, or you enjoy the idea of shooting a gun with no serial and "sticking it to the man"