Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What's the go to shell holders for 3 gun shotgun shells?

minnesota1

I'd like to know what the go to shell holders are now for 3 gun shoots.  Not the unlimited ones, but the standard ones that you have to grab from a caddie type object with the shells in it.  Which ones and why do you like it?

Thanks.

13 minutes ago, AustinWolv said:

Invictus Practical - excellent build quality and material choice, highly versatile, top-notch durability, good value for the cost.  Good retention. Very good shell release on the grab.  

Yes. Great customer service also.

I have several.  I started out with a Carbon Arms Backbone 24.  This was good when I had a large round count and needed the extra ammo.  I used the deuces method when I first started and the Backbone was good for that loading technique.  I have since switched to quad loading and I have the Backbone on a Tactical vest for shotgun only matches or again large round count stages.  I then got the Taccom Quad loading sport series caddies when I first started with Quad loading.  The Taccom caddies aligned the shells in such a way that the rims overlapped making it easy to grab four for quad loading.  My last set was the Invictus Practical that I got as a prize.  The design and easy of use made them my go to caddies for normal stages.  I currently carry the backbone and invictus practical to matches since it affords me the luxury to change my configuration.  I use the Taccom and IP's on my Safariland belt with ELS clips.

Conventional wisdom is that Invictus Practical and Carbon Arms are the gold standard. Invictus caddies release a tad more smoothly, and the Carbon Arms have slightly better retention. I've used both, and while I've found that to be true, it's not quite enough to be decisive in forming a preference - the Invictus has plenty of retention, and the Carbon Arms release just fine. Both offer decent modularity and configurability - you could probably flip a coin and do fine. If you really want to grasp for a reason to pick one over the other, decide whether you value retention or smooth shell release more.

If you want to spend less, Taccom caddies are perfectly serviceable, and won't hold you back by any means... though it's a tad harder to yank 4 shells out of them while maintaining good alignment for a quad load. They're also a bit more limited in terms of configuration options.

Lots of people also swear by the Safariland caddies, but I have very limited firsthand experience with those.

On 8/23/2018 at 6:35 PM, AustinWolv said:

Invictus Practical - excellent build quality and material choice, highly versatile, top-notch durability, good value for the cost.  Good retention. Very good shell release on the grab.  

yep

I use the Safariland quad loads. They were expensive, but came highly recommended. There are several great things about them. You can adjust the angles and hieght to fit you, plus with the als belt system you can remove between stages. I’m a big guy and have went prime numerous times on them and they have held up great. I’m not easy on my equipment and expect it to hold up. When I go prone, I do it with authority lol. I have a different holder before that had medal wings to hold the shells. They bent the first time I went prone and didn’t work right afterwards. Love all of my safariland gear. Holsters included 

I've been running the Taccom 12S4. It is a great caddy for the price. You can certainly spend more and possibly get a better product, but I don't see the point in spending 2x the money when the Taccoms work for me, but your mileage may vary. 

King Competition.  Foreign owned company, so prices are in euros but far surpieor to magnetic caddies by the more familiar manufacturers.  Holds firm and releases smooth.  Look them up on the internet.  Good s**t.

22 hours ago, sbaker5 said:

King Competition.  Foreign owned company, so prices are in euros but far surpieor to magnetic caddies by the more familiar manufacturers.  Holds firm and releases smooth.  Look them up on the internet.  Good s**t.

I have no personal experience with these, so I can't really speak to whether or not they're recommended. But I have noticed that Hayes Custom Guns sells them now, so if you were inclined to try them out, you wouldn't have to fool with importing them or anything:

http://hayescustomguns.com/king-competition/