Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rachet for ELS Belt?

minnesota1

One of my buddies just ordered us up some. I got 2 sets but haven’t installed them yet but 1st impressions are great. Going to be so much easier to put on my els belt and tighten it up. 

I think we paid around $15 (with shipping) for each set. I’ll post where he got them tomorrow 

The Carbon Arms ratchet is a pretty great upgrade to any belt. One guy at my club got one early last year, now it seems like every one of us is running one, on ELS belts and others. I really like the ability to adjust the tension between stages. If I'm running a stage with a heavy belt load out, tighten it down; if I'm just shooting PCC, it can run looser. Its nice having the small adjustment capability without wrangling around with the belt all that much. 

My wife runs one of each but with all the gear that ends up on the belt in 3 gun the ratchet is really nice when you want to synch it up that extra bit.  The ELS has to line up with the holes so sometimes you can end up between them and have to pull harder or let it be a little loose.

I bought the Carbon Arms kit and it’s the best accessory for the belt you can get, it doesn’t matter what ratchet system you get. I use it on my ELS belt set up for 3 gun, I miss it when I shoot USPSA, where I use just a standard comp belt.

18 hours ago, mveto said:

I bought the Carbon Arms kit and it’s the best accessory for the belt you can get, it doesn’t matter what ratchet system you get. I use it on my ELS belt set up for 3 gun, I miss it when I shoot USPSA, where I use just a standard comp belt.

Are these belts not allowed in USPSA?

20 minutes ago, JWil said:

Are these belts not allowed in USPSA?

They are allowed I just haven’t bought the ratchet for that belt yet. I don’t personally see the need for it, in USPSA I shoot limited mostly and during the course of fire there is only the weight of the mags on the belt and between stages I always bag my pistol and remove the mags from the pouches. In multigun I like to be able to crank down the belt during the stage since there is so much weight in the belt and loosen it up between stages.

• 4 weeks later...

I have an ELS belt and ordered a ratcheting buckle from ratchetingbuckles.com after reading this thread. I bought the buckle mounted on the 5.5" extension and a 13" ladder strap with the tab. Got it put together and shot a match with it last Weekend. Honest to God it's the single best addition to my equipment ever, save for the two piece belt. 

I'd recommend getting the extension with the pre feed and retainer. It's so simple to get the belt on and off compared to the original twin studs. Just a matter of getting the holster spotted on my hip and feeding the ladder strap into the pre feed. Push it through until the slack is gone then crank it tight. Absolutely love the thing. The tabbed ladder strap is large enough the use two of the holes on the belt to mount it. I punched a hole in the center of the belt to mount the buckle extension. 

I bought the flush buckle because I thought the extended one might catch on something and release it. After seeing how it works, there's no chance of that. If I  had to do it again I'd get the extended release. 

On 9/27/2018 at 10:11 PM, Pardini said:

I have an ELS belt and ordered a ratcheting buckle from ratchetingbuckles.com after reading this thread. I bought the buckle mounted on the 5.5" extension and a 13" ladder strap with the tab. Got it put together and shot a match with it last Weekend. Honest to God it's the single best addition to my equipment ever, save for the two piece belt. 

I'd recommend getting the extension with the pre feed and retainer. It's so simple to get the belt on and off compared to the original twin studs. Just a matter of getting the holster spotted on my hip and feeding the ladder strap into the pre feed. Push it through until the slack is gone then crank it tight. Absolutely love the thing. The tabbed ladder strap is large enough the use two of the holes on the belt to mount it. I punched a hole in the center of the belt to mount the buckle extension. 

I bought the flush buckle because I thought the extended one might catch on something and release it. After seeing how it works, there's no chance of that. If I  had to do it again I'd get the extended release. 

I bought 1" extended release buckle and tab, really love it the bigger buckle is a lot easier to tighten and release over the smaller one Carbon Arms sells.

I bought a pack of 8-32 'Chicago Nuts' and button head socket head cap screws. For belts other than ELS, just drill a small hole, then push a soldering iron through the hole.

For Velcro it pulls the outer nice and tight to the inner belt, I know guys that still have their belts lap over. I trim mine off so the have a 3-4" gap at about 4:30.