Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Efficiency vs accuracy

TimBoettcher

I just built my 9mm Open gun and have noticed a couple things, especially from coming back into the sport after 10 years and shooting.38 Super. I have decided on two loads that I like, both having pf of 171. The first is HS-6 with 124 MG HP and second is WAC and 124 MG HP. I love the accuracy of the WAC (1.75” @ 50 yards) but the HS-6 (2.75” @ 50 yards) is less accurate... The gun tracks better and comp is more effective with the HS-6 and feels softer. It’s not too much of an accuracy issue (sandbagged for group testing) but it kind bothers me... What is your opinion, what would you do?

35E4E0A9-9D96-4397-8BC2-A573603B7341.jpeg

I would use the hs6 load.  It seems to be more in line with what is needed in USPSA.  50 yard targets are a rarity,  but lots of targets where a flat shooting gun helps happens pretty much every stage. My thoughts would be different if the hs6 load was shooting 8" group at 50

I think should go with the load that makes YOU most comfortable. Now whether that be knowing without a doubt that you can hit that 15yd head box only partial or having a gun that is soft shooting and doesn't feel too harsh in the hands. This ultimately comes down to which one makes you less worried so that you can focus on shooting a good stage.

28 minutes ago, lacivilian said:

I think should go with the load that makes YOU most comfortable

Agree. I have to favorite loads for my 38 super. 11 gr of AA7 and 9 gr of HS6 both with a 115 gr PD JHP at 168PF. The AA7 load is a bit more accurate but dot movement is less consistent. The HS6 load hits my hand a little harder but dot never leaves the glass. Love shooting both loads but when it comes to lowering split times its HS6. Welcome back.

6 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Of the two, I'd go with the one that feels the best   ON THE CLOCK    :)

But, I believe that you can find a better powder for .38 Super than WAC or HS6.

This one is a 9mm... my old was a .38 Super

Tim, I want consistent dot tracking.  2.75" @ 50 isn't horrible, but it is likely you can do better.  You should up your PF for the HS-6.  It is considerably slower that WAC and your SDs and accuracy should improve with a little more powder.

Hello: Try the HS-6 with some 115's and see how you like the feel of it. I like HS-6 better than the other powders I have tried for 9mm open pistols and I have tried lots of them. In the next couple of weeks I am going to try another powder in 9mm to see how that works for me. Thanks, Eric

47 minutes ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: Try the HS-6 with some 115's and see how you like the feel of it. I like HS-6 better than the other powders I have tried for 9mm open pistols and I have tried lots of them. In the next couple of weeks I am going to try another powder in 9mm to see how that works for me. Thanks, Eric

I think I will, I have some XTP's from 10+ years ago, virtually identical to the MG profile too.

Thanks!!

Tim

3 hours ago, zzt said:

Tim, I want consistent dot tracking.  2.75" @ 50 isn't horrible, but it is likely you can do better.  You should up your PF for the HS-6.  It is considerably slower that WAC and your SDs and accuracy should improve with a little more powder.

I loaded some up a few tenths higher to try tomorrow ?

Thanks!

Tim

I wouldn’t worry that much about 50yd group size unless it is drastic. What feels good in the gun when shooting rapid is what you will be doing 90% of the time in open.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use WAC 7.2 grns on a 124jhp PD. I found mine is accurate and flat around a 171-172 pf..HS6 hasd a nice feel, but had a circular dot movement..WAC for me tracked straight up and down and never left the glass. So each gun is different, and as others say, I would shoot what you are confident in.

Edited by TRPOperator

I boosted the HS6 2/10's and the accuracy improve to 2" with the 124 MG JHP, 1.17 OAL .380 on the case mouth. I loaded some 115's for today and see how they feel. Thanks for the opinions guys, I really appreciate it!!

Timmy

• 2 months later...