Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cleaning my compensator.

AzShooter

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

Thought I'd bring this topic back up and see if anyone has an update on cleaning their comp or keeping it clean and lead build-up free. I have a two port on a custom 22 that is a bear to keep clean/lead free.

Any updates?

• 3 months later...
On 8/24/2018 at 5:32 AM, Darthrader18 said:

I have read a lot of guys spray the comp with Dillon case lube between stages. I haven't seen anyone do this but ive tried rem oil and either I'm not consistent enough with it or it just doesn't help, cause I still get carbon build up in the comp. 

I use the Dillon case lube on an open class 38 Super and it works, I spray mine before every match (192 rounds in a match)

• 3 months later...
On 8/23/2018 at 3:37 AM, AzShooter said:

I've been amiss at cleaning the compensator on my Ruger Mark IV 22/45 with a Volquartsen LLV 6 barrel and the VQ new compensator.  I've put thousands of rounds through the gun and never thought of cleaning the comp.  With my old guns it seemed that all I needed to do was fire a few rounds of jacketed ammo and that helped get rid of the lead but never seemed to cake up.

I tried using The Dip, a combination of Ammonia and Peroxide but it didn't work after sitting for five hours.  I didn't want the comp to sit overnight in the solution so I pulled it out and was very disappointed in the results.

l cleaned it up and then decided to try a different method.  I dropped the comp in a jar with MPro-7 and let it sit for another 5 hours.  This time I could see that the solution helped loosen up the carbon deposits.  I then used a brass screwdriver to pick away at the lead.  I finally got the comp to look like new and after reading a few posts I learned to spray the comp with Pam before shooting it again and after every 300 rounds. 

Today I shot 300 rounds of CCI-SV through the gun and after the session I had no buildup of lead.  I guess I now have a new procedure to do when cleaning.

Have you tried CLR? The famous cleaning product for like grime and stuff in showers? I saw a YouTube video about an ELR comp shooter that uses it to clean his muzzle brake and sometimes barrel( barrel cleaned heavily afterward to prevent rust). 

apparently it does a great job on compensators if you soak them overnight