Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cleaning my compensator.

AzShooter

I've been amiss at cleaning the compensator on my Ruger Mark IV 22/45 with a Volquartsen LLV 6 barrel and the VQ new compensator.  I've put thousands of rounds through the gun and never thought of cleaning the comp.  With my old guns it seemed that all I needed to do was fire a few rounds of jacketed ammo and that helped get rid of the lead but never seemed to cake up.

I tried using The Dip, a combination of Ammonia and Peroxide but it didn't work after sitting for five hours.  I didn't want the comp to sit overnight in the solution so I pulled it out and was very disappointed in the results.

l cleaned it up and then decided to try a different method.  I dropped the comp in a jar with MPro-7 and let it sit for another 5 hours.  This time I could see that the solution helped loosen up the carbon deposits.  I then used a brass screwdriver to pick away at the lead.  I finally got the comp to look like new and after reading a few posts I learned to spray the comp with Pam before shooting it again and after every 300 rounds. 

Today I shot 300 rounds of CCI-SV through the gun and after the session I had no buildup of lead.  I guess I now have a new procedure to do when cleaning.

I clean my 22LR comps by chipping away the big chunks with a pin punch and hammer. Then soak it in Break-Free cpl and run a couple of rounds through the gun. I have never tried pre-coating with Pam but I think I'll give it a try. 

I have read a lot of guys spray the comp with Dillon case lube between stages. I haven't seen anyone do this but ive tried rem oil and either I'm not consistent enough with it or it just doesn't help, cause I still get carbon build up in the comp. 

I have the dillon case lube, but at my home club I am so busy with running the match I never have time to actually spray it. I have some brass brushes that I chuck into the dremel after letting it soak though. Works pretty well. 

I tried the Pam this week and could tell a difference.  It last about 200 rounds and then needs another spray or accuracy diminishes.  Cleaning the comp  with MPro-7 is much easier after using Pam.  I also have some Dillon Case Lube and got an atomizer bottle to try to spray that into the comp.

Question for those using The Dip, how do you dispose of it when you are done?   It's hazardous waist.

Volquartsen recommends The Dip so I may give it another try, now that I know it peroxide and vinegar instead of ammonia. LOL>

I check the internet on disposing of the peroxide/vinegar solution and found out that it is o.k. to simply flush it  down the toilet or pour it into the sink.  It's not of a heavy enough concentration to do any harm.

• 5 months later...
1 hour ago, 191138sc said:

Sarge, do you shoot coated bullets in your open gun? How often do you spray during a match? Thanks

I stopped shooting them. I like Chandler and his BBI's and tried them for about 6-8 matches and found they smoked way too much for me and the comp was full of crud. 

I have some case lube in a tiny spray bottle in my range bag. I shoot one good pump into the top of the comp at the beginning of every match. Comp still gets dirty but it doesn't seem to "harden" as much and takes less time to clean out.

On 8/23/2018 at 3:37 AM, AzShooter said:

I've been amiss at cleaning the compensator on my Ruger Mark IV 22/45 with a Volquartsen LLV 6 barrel and the VQ new compensator.  I've put thousands of rounds through the gun and never thought of cleaning the comp.  With my old guns it seemed that all I needed to do was fire a few rounds of jacketed ammo and that helped get rid of the lead but never seemed to cake up.

I tried using The Dip, a combination of Ammonia and Peroxide but it didn't work after sitting for five hours.  I didn't want the comp to sit overnight in the solution so I pulled it out and was very disappointed in the results.

l cleaned it up and then decided to try a different method.  I dropped the comp in a jar with MPro-7 and let it sit for another 5 hours.  This time I could see that the solution helped loosen up the carbon deposits.  I then used a brass screwdriver to pick away at the lead.  I finally got the comp to look like new and after reading a few posts I learned to spray the comp with Pam before shooting it again and after every 300 rounds. 

Today I shot 300 rounds of CCI-SV through the gun and after the session I had no buildup of lead.  I guess I now have a new procedure to do when cleaning.

Once you clean your comp or before you shoot a new comp spray it down with weapon shield solvent. Normally when I do get some build up I'll soak it in weapon shield solvent and then "shoot it out" the next day or so.

I feel like this needs to be a sticky for every comp cleaning question ever.

I don’t use the hardened tip, just a longer, softer nail filed into the shape of a chisel. This is absolutely the fastest way I’ve ever been able to chip the crud out of my comps.

No soaking or scrubbing. Shoot any bullet you want and just jackhammer the crud out.

dcab71a9d9dc1b3b39c753b9f90a6165.jpg

On 2/5/2019 at 12:57 PM, rishii said:

I’ve been swabbing my comp with kroil after every shooting session, it get under the crud and the next time I shoot it, the blast blow it out

That sounds like a really great idea. It works with benchrest shooters to clean in between shots and get all copper out when lapping in a barrel so should probably work great for this application also, thanks!

On 2/4/2019 at 9:37 PM, B_Seehawer said:

I feel like this needs to be a sticky for every comp cleaning question ever.

I don’t use the hardened tip, just a longer, softer nail filed into the shape of a chisel. This is absolutely the fastest way I’ve ever been able to chip the crud out of my comps.

No soaking or scrubbing. Shoot any bullet you want and just jackhammer the crud out.

dcab71a9d9dc1b3b39c753b9f90a6165.jpg

I bought one of these after I saw @B_Seehawer post it in an old topic on this same subject. I can vouch for this being the best easiest way to chisel out the comp without damaging anything or any solvents that could cause issues. I did what he recommended with a nail rounded off so it doesn’t have a sharp point too. Best thing ever 

I agree with the dremel tool needing to be stickied to every comp cleaning thread ever. Post the picture above to every comp cleaning thread in the past and future and just lock it up for further discussion. This is THE solution for a dirty comp.

It is also an extremely satisfying way to clean the comp. it makes such light work of it I like cleaning my comps now. 

Edited by Shmella

I agree with the dremel tool needing to be stickied to every comp cleaning thread ever. Post the picture above to every comp cleaning thread in the past and future and just lock it up for further discussion. This is THE solution for a dirty comp.

It is also an extremely satisfying way to clean the comp. it makes such light work of it I like cleaning my comps now. 

Yup, it’s that good.

I can’t tell you how many buddy’s Open guns come across my bench for a quick trip.

Lol, totally satisfying too

2 minutes ago, Furrly said:

Is the rounded off nail bought or made?? 

Lol , what do you think?  Cut the head off a nail so you can fit the shaft of the nail in the tool. . Round off the tip of the nail with a file, bench grinder, a (locally sourced)rock, sand paper, your sidewalk, basement floor or anything decently hard. It’ll round off fairly easily. 

The nail I found in my basement was pretty soft and rounded off the tip of it in like 10 seconds. 

Though I've yet to try it, some guys heat the comp for a few seconds with a butane/propane torch. The heat softens the crud so it's easily picked out.

I'm going to try it in combo with the Dremel trick.

If you don't mind HV rounds, CCI's polymer coated bullets will cut fouling by at least half. They're amazingly clean.