Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

25 Yard Groups????

iflyskyhigh

• 3 weeks later...

I shoot a stock 2 with CO, rested on the bench slow fire to verify the dot is still good. Distance is 35 to 38 yards depending on target placement.  When the ammo is all made well, the gun and weather good and I am really really careful on the trigger,  it holds 3-4" groups. There may be a "flier" in there with my spaz finger on the trigger.    I try to do that EVERY range session with 3-5 rounds to verify the dot is still good.  Slide ride dots fail ... often.  At least for me.  If it doesn't hold that 3-4" group,  it's either the operator, ammo, or equipment and I do try to find out why and fix it.  I've found variation in crimp has a big impact as well as the obvious OAL, powder drop, etc. But about every so often (normally just before a section match) the dot will FUBAR.  I'd rather find it at home than at the match.

But I've never seen anyone actually shoot a freestyle unsupported 1" group at 25 yards. 

I shoot a stock 2 with CO, rested on the bench slow fire to verify the dot is still good. Distance is 35 to 38 yards depending on target placement.  When the ammo is all made well, the gun and weather good and I am really really careful on the trigger,  it holds 3-4" groups. There may be a "flier" in there with my spaz finger on the trigger.    I try to do that EVERY range session with 3-5 rounds to verify the dot is still good.  Slide ride dots fail ... often.  At least for me.  If it doesn't hold that 3-4" group,  it's either the operator, ammo, or equipment and I do try to find out why and fix it.  I've found variation in crimp has a big impact as well as the obvious OAL, powder drop, etc. But about every so often (normally just before a section match) the dot will FUBAR.  I'd rather find it at home than at the match.

But I've never seen anyone actually shoot a freestyle unsupported 1" group at 25 yards. 

[emoji1303]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On 8/23/2018 at 6:50 PM, iflyskyhigh said:

No. I’m not a 100% sure he was talking about an open gun, but the conversation was centered around loading for an open gun.

I just went back to check, because maybe I was wrong, and it looks like the posts in question have been deleted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is still with us...

I watched a 62 year old former Olympic champion shoot a .45 he rebuilt for me - 3/4 inch one handed, still have the target somewhere, he was unbelievable but I have never come close to it and I have tried and never seen anyone else do it. I am sure there are a few but not many. Wish I could shoot like that.

On 8/23/2018 at 8:46 AM, iflyskyhigh said:

Jack,

The post I was referring to was from a day or so ago on this forum and said:

“I have shot over 1000 rounds of coated lead through this comp and cleaned it once. All you need is a butane torch and a carbon scrapper. Takes 15 minutes. And I shoot 1" groups at 25 yards free standing. I'll keep shooting my coated lead. “

I took free standing to mean off hand / unsupported.

I can’t specifically point to other posts right this second without an exhaustive search (and I’m too lazy to do that), but I know for a fact I’ve seen this claim before. It may have been this forum, or may have been others. I can’t say for sure.

I can say for sure that I’ve seen the claim enough to know that it irks me.

Not sure why it gets my goat emoji238.png? I know it’s silly and petty. After all, who cares what some one claims they can or can’t do?

I’ll let it go now...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The shooter/poster is full crap. He's a high C/mid B shooter at locals and nobody that we shoot with has ever witnessed this feat. Hyperbole is his game...