Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tips for fitting a STI 2011 trigger gunsmith blank

abigger04

I'm getting ready to tackle this job tomorrow.  Would anyone have any tips they could share on fitting this trigger?  Mainly I need some advice on how to cut and shape the trigger itself.  What tools should I be using if I just would like to shorten the trigger?

Hello from NW AR.  Maybe a model razor saw and a dremel?

also, make sure you refit or at least check the grip safety clearance. The little tab on the safety can bind the action if it rubs the back of the bow.  Just had that issue with my Trojan.  Folks here on the forum helped me out.. 

5 minutes ago, GIO said:

Hello from NW AR.  Maybe a model razor saw and a dremel?

also, make sure you refit or at least check the grip safety clearance. The little tab on the safety can bind the action if it rubs the back of the bow.  Just had that issue with my Trojan.  Folks here on the forum helped me out.. 

Thanks!  I have a dremel and so that should be no problem.  Could I use regular sandpaper to remove the trigger material?  And should I use a particular grain to smooth out the face of the trigger.

if you are wanting a curve then you can use a sanding drum on a dremel, as im sure you know just be careful and dont go to far. if you want it flat then just use a file or sand paper until you get the length you are looking for. i finished mine with 800 grit and it came out pretty nice. 

Depending how much you're taking off I would go with a flat file. If you have a lot to take of do it in two step process, first use an aggressive one for the bulk of the removal, then a fine one or sand paper for the final finish. Whichever way you go, just sandpaper or file or combination of both put them on the bench and work the trigger in your hand, That way you it will be easier to keep a flat profile. To finish it off 600-800 should be fine, but you can always polish it up to be super smooth. Your preference. 

Go slow and 'walk it in' to the size you want. You can always take more off, but putting it back on would a little tough! ?

As for the type of sandpaper of file to use; you can use just about any type. The plastic is relatively soft. nothing special is really needed. 

If you're going to use a Dremel be super careful. You can get into trouble real quick! The best way to ensure you don't is to clamp the trigger into a vise with only what you want to remove exposed. that was you have a safe guard from going too deep. One caveat to that is if the actual trigger doesn't come off the shoe you will most likely have to make some sort of jig for it to be able to clamp it. A couple of pieces of wood would do the trick.

2 hours ago, schaet said:

One caveat to that is if the actual trigger doesn't come off the shoe you will most likely have to make some sort of jig for it to be able to clamp it. A couple of pieces of wood would do the trick.

^ lot of good advice in this post, especially the tip about clamping the trigger itself.

Go slow. Test often. As with all things, you can keep removing but you can't easily add back on.

I fit a blank for the first time and learned some things about what I like in a trigger along the way. Experimented with curves, radius, etc because I would remove it all anyway to get to the length I wanted. 

On 8/28/2018 at 11:11 PM, abigger04 said:

Thanks all. I’ll give this a shot over the Labor Day weekend! 

Good luck.

I just received another one yesterday and I am pretty excited to fit it to my newest project. Enjoy the process and the end result is icing on the cake.