Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mag falling out of XDm after 2nd shot

jcc7x7

No I'm not hitting the mag release!

I've shot the gun lt hand rt handed and with a two hand grip making sure I;m not on the mag release

It only happens when I have it loaded with the mag extension and 20+ rounds in it.

Changed the mag tube and everything works fine

Measured the mag release cut and it appears to be the same as the other mags.

runs fine after 6-8 rounds are fired out of it.

Using round nose bullets and wondered it one of the bullets is hitting the release?

Anyone else having this problem

Disassemble the magazine.

Remove the slide from the frame of the pistol.

Insert the magazine shell and look to see if the slide release goes completely into the shell or if it's hanging up part of the way in.

My cousin had a double stack 1911 that was doing this with a couple of magazines.  We had to slightly open up the mag. catch hole/slot on the top to allow the mag. catch to fully engage into the magazine shell.

If that's the problem it won't take much metal removal to make a difference.

Then again, with no rounds in it and no slide on it, you won't get any resistance to fully inserting the mag. shell either, so it might go completely into place.

Good luck with it.

One thing to look at on the tube, see if the tube is flat in the catch hole area. I've seen where the tube gets pushed in at the catch hole and doesn't make full contact. Is it the factory mag release in the gun?  Is it a factory tube? Is the base pad making contact with the frame when seated?  Which follower are you using with the extended base pad?

Rich

9 or 40?

I run an XDm 40 with extended basepads that will allow me to load to 20, possibly 21.  However, when I do load to 20, I find that I can have a couple of issues:

* wrecks my mag spring

* mag doesn't fully seat if slide is closed (due to spring compression issues)

So -- what happens if you only load to 18 or 19?  Any issues?  Or even 10 rounds?  Any issues?

I suspect that the mag may be too full, which isn't allowing the mag catch to be fully engaged.  Recoil then kicks the mag out.

1 hour ago, dsu96 said:

9 or 40?

I run an XDm 40 with extended basepads that will allow me to load to 20, possibly 21.  However, when I do load to 20, I find that I can have a couple of issues:

* wrecks my mag spring

* mag doesn't fully seat if slide is closed (due to spring compression issues)

So -- what happens if you only load to 18 or 19?  Any issues?  Or even 10 rounds?  Any issues?

I suspect that the mag may be too full, which isn't allowing the mag catch to be fully engaged.  Recoil then kicks the mag out.

I run the Dawson extensions in my XDm .40 and have never gotten more than 18 in a mag. Never any issues so maybe because I'm not forcing it.

It runs from about 13-14 down

I'm thinking a bullet is bouncing against the interior mag release under the higher round count spring load and then the mag pops out. 

No interference with the mag bases.

I'm going to check the tube interface with slide off tonight

3 hours ago, mont1120 said:

I suspect the tube is actually bent, thus causing the mag release to not fully go into the tube body. You will probably have to square the tube back up. Is it possible it got stepped on?

Stepped on is always a possibility

3 hours ago, Mcfoto said:

I run the Dawson extensions in my XDm .40 and have never gotten more than 18 in a mag. Never any issues so maybe because I'm not forcing it.

I run the Dawson extensions as well.  While I can load to 20, I typically only load 18.  At 20, it compresses my mag springs to the point where I get FTF on the last round or 2 due to a weakened/compressed spring.  Swap in a new spring and I'm good to go.

My wife's Production gun has this problem with a couple of brand new, never used mags. She has 8 that work and those 2 just won't stay latched in. I haven't fully fixed it, but I suspect it's the cutout in the mag.

I don't have that problem in my XDM 5.25 40S Limited gun. As far as extensions, I use Springers with Grams guts on mine and get 20rnds reloadable, no issues with staying locked in the gun fully loaded, can be easily inserted with the slide forward, no issues with feeding last round, etc.