Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ Open Build Theory

kneelingatlas

I'm thinking of getting a Shadow 2 to use as a platform to build an Open gun off of. But I'm having a hard time finding out where to get a compensator and threaded barrel. For those more knowledgeable than me, would this even be possible?

I'm also wondering if people have had the same 9 major cracking issues that the 2011 folks have faced. Specifically, the slide.

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, StandardError said:

I'm thinking of getting a Shadow 2 to use as a platform to build an Open gun off of. But I'm having a hard time finding out where to get a compensator and threaded barrel. For those more knowledgeable than me, would this even be possible?

I'm also wondering if people have had the same 9 major cracking issues that the 2011 folks have faced. Specifically, the slide.

I have a long history of taking the path less traveled, but converting a Tactical Sports is much simplier than a Shadow 2.

Ok. That's what I've been reading so far. And thank you for the clarification.

Previously you've said that a TSO conversion to 9 major requires cutting the dust cover back (and the ATF variance that comes along with it). But is there a way to avoid this? I.e. can the compensator be contained in the dust cover?

7 minutes ago, StandardError said:

Ok. That's what I've been reading so far. And thank you for the clarification.

Previously you've said that a TSO conversion to 9 major requires cutting the dust cover back (and the ATF variance that comes along with it). But is there a way to avoid this? I.e. can the compensator be contained in the dust cover?

Yes, like this:

IMG_20181028_135329-3564x1843.thumb.jpg.1bb73c71f3205a965487a6c04c92f6c5.jpg

1 minute ago, kneelingatlas said:

Yes, like this:

IMG_20181028_135329-3564x1843.thumb.jpg.1bb73c71f3205a965487a6c04c92f6c5.jpg

That's awesome.

Without going to a smith, is there a way to convert a TSO to that in 9 major? I realize the biggest issue is that the comped barrel requires a shortened slide. Is there a readily available solution? I feel so hesitant to chop a TSO slide when CZ slides and barrels are so difficult to come by.

5 minutes ago, StandardError said:

That's awesome.

Without going to a smith, is there a way to convert a TSO to that in 9 major? I realize the biggest issue is that the comped barrel requires a shortened slide. Is there a readily available solution? I feel so hesitant to chop a TSO slide when CZ slides and barrels are so difficult to come by.

Is there a reason you don't buy a Czechmate?

1 hour ago, StandardError said:

I'm just wondering if I start with a TSO whether there is a way to retain the ability to shoot it as a limited gun while also shooting 9 major in open.

I've found the "two guns in one" idea is a costly proposition, you'll shoot the configuration you prefer and never change back.

Once you shoot Open, you won't want to shoot Limited, but if you still want to you can shoot Limited minor with the sights included with the Czechmate or buy a 40 top end for it.

You can trust me on this one, my first USPSA gun was a TS 40, which I immediately started turning into a 9 major Open gun:

21056113_1803628006318790_8240167560450930387_o.thumb.jpg.7a157b4e4490127d392a44075fb50512.jpg

I was too intimidated to start in Open, now six years and dozens of guns later, I may have the largest collection of CZ Open guns in the world ?

I have a long history of taking the path less traveled, but converting a Tactical Sports is much simplier than a Shadow 2.

Robin Sebo built a couple of sweet open guns based on Shadow 2’s. There’s currently only two in existence (he shoots one).

It is so awesome that the factory apparently got a little upset cause it’s “better” than the Czechmate....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Matt1 said:

Robin Sebo built a couple of sweet open guns based on Shadow 2’s. There’s currently only two in existence (he shoots one).

It is so awesome that the factory apparently got a little upset cause it’s “better” than the Czechmate....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1frankenstein-open-660x660.jpg.5e0431e6eb14724582e9fa3e9fdc01b0.jpg

Yes, but did you notice the profile of the slide?

I could be wrong, but if that's a Czechmate slide, there's definitely nothing simple about duplicating this build.

Edited by kneelingatlas

12 minutes ago, kneelingatlas said:

1frankenstein-open-660x660.jpg.5e0431e6eb14724582e9fa3e9fdc01b0.jpg

Yes, but did you notice the profile of the slide?

I could be wrong, but if that's a Czechmate slide, there's definitely nothing simple about duplicating this build.

ts  or cm  slide  with  copy of tanfoglio limited custom  cuts.?

I'll bite.

Here's my CZ75 based open gun, I got started reading kneelingatlas's build threads and bought one of his SP-1 slides and slapped it onto my CZ75 SA lower. Had to file the barrel lug slightly to get it to lock up tightly but that's honestly all it took to make a working open CZ75. After a match or two I got tired of the Cmore being so high off the bore that I fired up my 3d printer and hacksaw and went to work. Converted my C-More serendipity into a slide ride and modeled up a 90 degree mount, forward set slide racker, and grippy grips and printed them on my 3d printer.

The optic mount works much better than I expected, holds zero well, and actually is more accurate than the original serendipity mount. I  printed out several future iterations that are stronger because I really thought that prototype #1 would self destruct during the first range session but it's been holding on strong so it'll stay until it falls apart.

20181022_190052.jpg

20181028_171833.jpg

8 hours ago, TerryYu said:

I'll bite.

Here's my CZ75 based open gun, I got started reading kneelingatlas's build threads and bought one of his SP-1 slides and slapped it onto my CZ75 SA lower. Had to file the barrel lug slightly to get it to lock up tightly but that's honestly all it took to make a working open CZ75. After a match or two I got tired of the Cmore being so high off the bore that I fired up my 3d printer and hacksaw and went to work. Converted my C-More serendipity into a slide ride and modeled up a 90 degree mount, forward set slide racker, and grippy grips and printed them on my 3d printer.

The optic mount works much better than I expected, holds zero well, and actually is more accurate than the original serendipity mount. I  printed out several future iterations that are stronger because I really thought that prototype #1 would self destruct during the first range session but it's been holding on strong so it'll stay until it falls apart.

20181022_190052.jpg

20181028_171833.jpg

Awesome! I like the 3D printed parts.  I wonder how long a 3D printed comp prototype would last?

2 hours ago, StandardError said:

Thanks for all the info, friends. I think I'll just start with a Czechmate. I'm worried, though, that the gun is going to be too long and front-heavy. I've only shot production with a Shadow 2 so I admit I know next to nothing.

I've developed an aluminum comp which takes two ounces off the muzzle, I'm also working on aluminum guide rods.

IMG_20180702_211530.thumb.jpg.83dacdba7d94f2587fad1bfdcc72db12.jpg

IMG_20180702_211853-1503x1838.thumb.jpg.6731a65ace8f6edbe41136c7f10592ae.jpg

Edited by kneelingatlas

21 hours ago, kneelingatlas said:

I've developed an aluminum comp which takes two ounces off the muzzle, I'm also working on aluminum guide rods.

IMG_20180702_211530.thumb.jpg.83dacdba7d94f2587fad1bfdcc72db12.jpg

IMG_20180702_211853-1503x1838.thumb.jpg.6731a65ace8f6edbe41136c7f10592ae.jpg

Now that is beautiful machining. 

A question I have, though, is whether you can use 2011 optics mounts on the Czechmate. I'm thinking of running a Holosun 510C on it but I think there's only a 2011 optics mount made for it. 

On 10/31/2018 at 2:52 AM, kneelingatlas said:

Awesome! I like the 3D printed parts.  I wonder how long a 3D printed comp prototype would last?

Probably about 5 consecutive shots before it melts. The plastics that are used for 3d printing are stable up to about 70C before they start softening and losing strength. I think you could probably get enough shots to verify a design out of a plastic comp if you took breaks for cooling.

@muncie21

I'm using a Creality Ender3 and Tinkercad.

Edited by TerryYu