Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Time to hit the "Reset Button"...

Broncman

Started USPSA a little over a year ago. Started in CO with and XDM 5.25. Instantly hooked! Coming from a history of competing in F Class long range, I love the fast pace action of USPSA. I am also a gear junkie...

So a year and a half into this I have a CO, PCC and even built my own Open pistol.

Made B class in CO the first year and decided to shoot Open and PCC this year. Hit B class straight up in PCC. Struggled in Open. Took awhile to get the gun reliable. Now that it has ran flawless for the past 2 months, I am ready to go!

Placed pretty well in local matches for the past couple months, decide to try an attend matches with good competition. To be pushed!

Seems like I have hit a wall... Lot of personal issues with job and grown kids kind of derailed my focus.

2 state matches in 1 month, stuck in C Class open. Been placing in the 60-70 percentage at matches with a GM, but tanking classifiers. Last match I placed well but was dissatisfied with my self.

So, time to hit the Reset button! Basics, basics, basics,.  For the next month until the NC and TN state matches, my plan is to dry fire every day, focusing on draw, sight picture and explosive movement.

Live fire twice a week. Day 1 each week will be draw and fire 2 shots at 10 yards A zone, draw and fire 2 shots 10 yards head shot.  Dot torture at 10 yards and Bill drill 10 yards.

Day 2 will be the Blake drill , classifier 09-02 and 09-04. These all require focus, accuracy, and speed. The basics of a good run.

Day 1 today. 10 yard A zone times ,2 shots averaged 1.2 to 1.35.

Draw shot at end of day was in the high 1.05 to 1.10 range, splits consistent .17-.18

Head shots at 10 yards was 1.5-1.65.

Draw shot on head was 1.25-1.35, splits .25-.3  A's and few second shot C's 

Bill Drill times at 10 yards was 2.18-2.24 pretty consistent (3 times) all A's though!!

The dot torture was not as good. 5.5 to 6 to keep all in the 2 inch circle.

Tried to continually focus on repeatability, grip, sight picture and accuracy.  My comfortable draw to A at 10 yards is about a 1.25. really have to focus and push to stay in the 1.0's...

6 hours ago, Broncman said:

stuck in C Class open.  in the 60-70 percentage at matches with a GM, but tanking classifiers.

Wow, you are shooting Very Well, very quickly     :cheers:

Shooting 60 - 70% is high B and approaching A.    :)

There's only two ways to shoot classifiers :

1.  shoot it just like you shoot the other stages - make sure you hit the targets as quickly as you currently know how,

or

2.  shoot as fast as you can and hope you hit the target.

From your other stages, I'd say that shooting just like other stages will mean you will no longer "tank the classifier"

and you will become an instant B shooter on your way to an A shooter    :) 

agreed with Jack. I started shooting uspsa in January and Just made A class last two weeks ago. I did it because i shot my classifiers the same way i would shoot my stages. I didn't hero or zero them. instead shot as fast as i could and still call my shots. 

• 2 weeks later...

Dry fire every day but Wednesday ( have my grandson that day), live fire 3 times last week up till now.

20 yard double time are consistent 1.3-1.4. draw times at 20 are consistent 1.teens with some 1.08 occasionally. Dry fire paying off here.

09-04 first try last range day was an A class. Several Master class score in practice. Fastest time was 3.26 but had a Mike. Had to slow down to 3.5-3.6 to get all hits.

Practiced table starts. 2 seconds best and unloaded but holstered. Average 2 with some 1.75-1.8

Practiced some 5 yard Sprint with a reload. 3 seconds to 3.5.....

Dry fire pays off on sight pick up from draw!