Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

should I replace my M&P with a M&P 2.0 ?

Derek45

If you go to the 2.0, you'll lose the auto slide forwarding when you insert a new full mag.  

I've heard that the new one has a better trigger and is a little more grippy.  I put a talon grip on my Pro Core 9L, no grip issues there.  If you have apex stuff inside, you're probably better off keeping the one you have.  But, you can always go to a range, rent a 2.0, and play with them both and compare them head to head.

8 hours ago, Derek45 said:

My original shoots well, and is very reliable.

APEX stuff inside.

what do I gain by getting a new 2.0 ?

I think you already answered your own question.  I have the Apex FSS flat faced trigger in my M&P.  I also like the fact that I can insert a mag and know the slide with go into battery.  Stick with what you have.

I have a Performance Center 9L with all Apex internals and a KKM  non ported barrel, talon grips.

I ran into a guy at the range that has a 2.0 and I let him shoot mine. the Flat faced forward set sear trigger package in mine

smokes his trigger, and he cannot auto slide forward when inserting a mag.

I love that ability (my CZ Shadow 2 does that as well) I'd just stick with what you have,

you'd have to redo the 2.0 trigger to get it as good as an Apex

I have both the 1.0 and the 2.0 in 5". I'm glad I got the 2.0. It just feels better. Only problem I've got is the color. If I drop it in the dirt I'll never find it. Checked with the guys at S&W at the NRA show.They said it's scheduled for a change in 2 years.

I currently have the M&P 2.0 in the 5" and 4" model.  I have owned the 1.0 version.  I like the 2.0 a little better because feels better in my hands and with the metal strip in the slide it gives the gun solid feel to me.

If you already have a 1.0 that you're happy with, the only thing you'll gain with the 2.0 is less felt recoil.

I have both. 1.0 has Apex trigger parts, and Apex gunsmith fit barrel. 2.0 only has Apex trigger parts, and is set up for carry optics, partly because it doesn't auto-forward on a reload, and partly because it's not nearly as accurate as 1.0 with Apex, gunsmith-fit barrel. I've been thinking of having an Apex, gunsmith-fit barrel installed, but, I also have 2, Sig X-fives set up for carry optics, and they are almost as accurate as the 1.0 with the Apex barrel, but they don't fit my little paws as well as an M&P, with the small backstrap, and have SLIGHTLY more recoil, than the 2.0.?

On 8/24/2018 at 4:07 PM, S&W686 said:

I currently have the M&P 2.0 in the 5" and 4" model.  I have owned the 1.0 version.  I like the 2.0 a little better because feels better in my hands and with the metal strip in the slide it gives the gun solid feel to me.

My M2.0 handles recoil better.. The steel they put in the frame really helps.

I have had both.  I prefer the 2.0 I have now for a few reasons.  First I like the stipples grip.  I know I could have stipples the 1.0 grip, but I didn’t when I owned it.  2nd I have found the 2.0 to be more accurate.  3rd I like the med-large grip insert and that one didn’t come with the 1.0. And finally the 2.0 recoils noticeably less.......

On 8/23/2018 at 10:23 AM, Ray_Z said:

I have both the 1.0 and the 2.0 in 5". I'm glad I got the 2.0. It just feels better. Only problem I've got is the color. If I drop it in the dirt I'll never find it. Checked with the guys at S&W at the NRA show.They said it's scheduled for a change in 2 years.

Are you saying 2 more years before we can get a black 5" 2.0?

I prefer the M2.0 because:

1) It has the best grip texture made right now, in my opinion. YMMV. 

2) The trigger action is MUCH better than the 1.0  That is key to me because I shoot SSP and cannot Apex my pistol in SSP. 

More explanation so you have an idea of my credibility. I bought a M2.0 Compact for EDC.  The trigger action out of the box was bad, really gritty. I was not happy. Troubleshooting the situation I determined that a majority of that grit was in the actuation of the firing pin block plunger. So I stripped it down and started repairs. I gently irked the ID of the firing pin block bore with very fine Emory paper. I did it by hand. Left it in that deburred condition. Then I mirror polished the FPB plunger and the surfaces of the trigger bar that contacted other parts. I also dusted DC he sides of the trigger shoe itself. By dusted I mean I just barely smoothed it. Jon re-assembly it is as smooth as Fe and the trigger pull force was down to 4 lbs..  That was too light fo my EDC so I installed the Increased power Apex Trigger Return Spring and now it is great. Fo competition I put the OEM TRS in and fo to town. 

I also have a M2.0 FDE 5" in .40 caliber. It came completely Apexed with the Flatty kit already installed. Smoothness of the action is the same as my stock polished M2.0C.  Total trigger travel and reset is much less than my stock M2.0C and actually mimics the SA of my DA SA hammer fired pistols. That is wonderful, but I am used to my DA SA pistols so the normal, stock travel of the M2.0C is just fine for me. I actually have to re-orient myself when I shoot my M2.0 5" because the trigger stroke and reset are so short. 

I am somewhat unique because cause I have gone full circle - hammer fired DA SA only, then added striker fired to the hammer fired quiver, found that stock striker fired actions messed up my DA SA shooting so I sold all my striker fired pistols. 2 years later I saw the incredible trigger action possible with the M2.0 Full Flatty kit from Apex so I gave striker fired a chance again. I have discovered the key for me is making a striker fired action act as close to my hammer fired pistol SA action as possible. So now I am working the Apexed M2.0 5" and a fully Gray Gunned action in my P320 X5 and my Vastly improved stock M2.0C into my practice rotation to see if I can fire them equally as well as my CZ SP-01.  No conclusions, as yet, but it sure is enjoyable doing the "work" shooting them to find out ?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My 1.0 with the DCAEK apex kit, feels almost identical to my 2.0 trigger, with the slight exception that since the 1.0 has the USB as part of the kit, pushing past the striker block is a little grittier on the 2.0. But not enough for me to swap it out. 

• 2 weeks later...

If you already have an Apex trigger, the only benefit is the new grip texture. You would probably be better off just getting a stipple job. That is unless you just want a new gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 10/20/2018 at 3:51 AM, MetricPound said:

The 45 is black and the threaded barrel is 5"

I'm talking about the 2.0 in 9mm. I bought the 2.0 in 9mm. I like my 1.0 better. If you want it, I'll sell it for $450 and I'll pay the shipping to your favorite FFL.

You don't have to buy a 2.0 to have a 2.0 grip. 

Back in July I received an email from Smith and Wesson offering the 2.0 grip panels to put on my 1.0.  I purchased a Black M2.0 Small Palmswell SKU: 3005811 and a Black M2.0 Frame Tool SKU: 3005817. I really didn't need the frame tool ... that is the twist in thing at the bottom of the grip but the new one twists in much easier so it was a win win.

Besides ... both of these together cost me $7 ... with shipping and tax the whole deal was $13 ... AND ... I will admit that the new "Palmswell" is grippier than the super duper stippled one I was using. ?

Edited by pete627
edit: What??