Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Preparing for my first Major USPSA match

cjsmith223

So i am going to attend my first uspsa major match at the end of September. It is the SNS Indiana sectional. I have shot several 3 gun majors over the years but just started shooting uspsa back in January. What tips and advice would you give me going into this match? How different do you pack your range bag for a major VS a local match? 

Not a lot of difference really.

Mainly just make sure you have ALL your stuff. If overnighting, make sure you have everything you plan to wear for the match, socks, underwear, etc. Shooting glasses, hat, earplugs...

Remember under belt and ammo and gun. If you shoot a platform that has a known failure point, bring a replacement, etc.

Know your mags fit gauge, ammo makes PF and gun is good for equipment check before you get in the car to go.

Same as prepping for a major 3gun match, but only a 1/3 as much crap!

3 minutes ago, wgj3 said:

Not a lot of difference really.

Mainly just make sure you have ALL your stuff. If overnighting, make sure you have everything you plan to wear for the match, socks, underwear, etc. Shooting glasses, hat, earplugs...

Remember under belt and ammo and gun. If you shoot a platform that has a known failure point, bring a replacement, etc.

Know your mags fit gauge, ammo makes PF and gun is good for equipment check before you get in the car to go.

Same as prepping for a major 3gun match, but only a 1/3 as much crap!

Thanks for the input. do you own a gauge for the mags or just measure them? I'm pretty sure mine are in spec (brazos super tuned mags) but I've never actually checked them.  No kidding on 1/3rd the gear! my first several pistol matches i felt like i was forgetting something!

Generally speaking, the bigger the match, the larger percentage of shooters get DQed.  And, the more stage props there are, the more completely forgotten about targets.  If you treat the walkthroughs like it's a 3-gun match, you should be fine.  Know where the targets are, know where the 180 is, know where your reloads are.  

Another thing to look for is if the MD posts the stages online prior to the match.  If he does, look them through and see if you are going to find yourself in a new shooting situation.  

1 hour ago, NWcityguy2 said:

Another thing to look for is if the MD posts the stages online prior to the match.  If he does, look them through and see if you are going to find yourself in a new shooting situation.  

I’ll piggyback on this.  

Maybe look for some video from last last years match to see what the flavor is.  Partials, Props, Distance, non-traditional starts....?  Some stuff you could practice leading up to the match. 

Also, the terrain.  Sandy? Gravel? Grass? Prone to mud?

Could influence your footwear choice.  

On 8/20/2018 at 9:39 PM, cjsmith223 said:

Thanks for the input. do you own a gauge for the mags or just measure them? I'm pretty sure mine are in spec (brazos super tuned mags) but I've never actually checked them.  No kidding on 1/3rd the gear! my first several pistol matches i felt like i was forgetting something!

it's actually less than a third, with all the extra shotgun crap (caddies, shot, slugs, chokes, etc)...

before you start shooting at the match, go find the chrono table and have them check your mags, again before you start shooting.

If you change your approach that you have been using for a local match, something is wrong. You should treat all matches the same that way there is no added stress for a “big match”. Shooting is mostly mental and you can get in your own way. Go have fun, be safe and shoot all alphas!