Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hundo 40 question

rchaas

I case gauge every round after a loading session.

To make things easier, i purchased a hundred round gauge for 9mm that works great. It is comparable to my single Dillon 9mm case gauge.

Liking it so well, I purchased a hundred round gauge for 40mm.  I find that about 10-20% of the rounds are a very very tight fit and have to be pushed very firmly into the gauge.  However, those same rounds all fit nicely and freely into the barrel and/or the Dillon gauge.  It becomes so cumbersome that i have gone back to using the single Dillon gauge to look for that rare round that is truly out of spec. 

Anyone else have this experience?  Solutions?

Thanks

Robbie H

My .40 Hundo that came last week had a few that were tight also. I ran a nylon bore brush through all of them and the rounds drop in and out freely now. Probably some residual gunk from manufacturing the gauge. Easy fix for my issue, hope yours is as easy.

Edited by augman

So this brings up a question.  If you case garage every completed round, how many failures to you get?  I used to case gauge every round in 9mm and .40 but had less than one round/100 that failed but it would still chamber.

Because the failure rate was so low and I am lazy, I have resigned the case gauges to use on the first 2-3 rounds to make sure the dies are setup and working right.  I might check a few out of each batch but certainly not every round.  

I get very few failures but in .40, every now and then a bulged case gets through loading and is found during gauging (maybe 1 in 200 or so).  Those might lead to a mid-match malfunction....hate that, so I check them all.  

thanks, that FAQ was very useful.  I'll work on those suggestions and see what's what!

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, rchaas said:

So does mine, but not my .40

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would probably call shockbottle. Coated bullets are way to popular to have a gauge that won’t take them

Is your resizing die going down far enough?

I shoot lots of “once fired” 40 brass, which is probably coming from police ranges full of Glocks (complete with their bulges). 

None the less, it runs almost 100% thru my hundo XL and Titan. 

the hundo gauge is designed to be at the lower spec limit(LSL) of the SAAMI spec

so if it fits the hundo, it should fit every barrel/chamber. 
if it doesn't fit the hundo, double check with your barrel.
If it fits the hundo, and is too large for your barrel/chamber
- either your chamber is dirty or out of spec

I quit case gauging all together. The rounds that failed the hundo, even the failures that failed case rim down, worked fine in both my infinity and edge. I check the rounds for flipped primer or shaved Bullets as I’m loading mags. Thousands and thousands of rounds later, no malfunctions. Dillon size die, MBF powder funnel, Redding comp seat die, Lee FCD. Mark 7, 650. Even police range glocked brass. Case gauging really sucks. Try to eliminate it, IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the Hundo in 9 and 40. 9 always passes and 40 mostly does. My guns swallow the ones that do not pass without issue. What I like best about this gauge is it makes it quick and easy to spot flipped or high primers, or to see any obvious malfunction - albeit extremely rare. Then I set my 100 round MTM on top of the gauge for a quick transfer. One quick inspection and flip into another MTM case and I'm good to go.

just reloaded a bunch of .40 with once fired, prepped range brass

initially had about 20% not pass the houndo, then close to 50%

rechecked the sizing and crimp die
crimp die was slightly out, readjusted that.
recrimped everything.

About 3-5% would not pass.

Ran them through the Lee budge buster, and they pass with ease.

4 hours ago, CodyAxon said:

Has no one mentioned the .40 XL hundo gauge? Designed for long ammo and coated bullets, any round that gauges chambers in my 2011.

Just realized there’s two different versions.

double checked mine, it’s the .40XL

OP, any chance you have the normal .40 gauge?

10 hours ago, CodyAxon said:

Has no one mentioned the .40 XL hundo gauge? Designed for long ammo and coated bullets, any round that gauges chambers in my 2011.

Good call. I think this could be most of the problems. I had a gauge that didn’t like 40 long, gauging the ammo upside down helped. The 40XL is the ticket though!!

It sounds dumb but are you seating your bullets crooked? I flipped the seating stem so I could use the alternate profile and boom no more failures. Hundo XL with coated bullets at .401.

I have an embarrassing thread explaining my problem and then the simple solution.

Once fired brass, stainless media

galant, black and blue bullets (and now mg jhp), all 180gn

OAL 1.182”

Dillon seat die, Lee factory crimp die.

No additional brass prep.

No, bullets are seated straight and true.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It sounds dumb but are you seating your bullets crooked? I flipped the seating stem so I could use the alternate profile and boom no more failures. Hundo XL with coated bullets at .401.

I have an embarrassing thread explaining my problem and then the simple solution.

I’ll have a look at this, interesting question. Thanks.

2 hours ago, rchaas said:

Once fired brass, stainless media

galant, black and blue bullets (and now mg jhp), all 180gn

OAL 1.182”

Dillon seat die, Lee factory crimp die.

No additional brass prep.

No, bullets are seated straight and true.

with a Lee FCD(assuming its setup correctly),
the front half of the cartridge should be in spec

it's likely the back half thats slightly out of spec(glock bulge).

Try a Lee bulge buster kit with a single stage press.
https://leeprecision.com/case-conditioning-tools/lee-bulge-buster-kit/
- don't forget to order an extra FCD if you don't want to touch your current setup
- or with plated/coated bullets, I would highly suggest a taper crimp die for loading, then use the FCD in the bugle buster.
  - this is to avoid breaking the coating/plating in the situation you have a slightly oversized bullet OD

Edited by mmlook