Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

So I'm going to my first non-level 1 match. Any tips?

random_guy7531

On 8/18/2018 at 8:23 PM, random_guy7531 said:

So I'm going to my first "large" match in a couple of weeks , and I wanted to just real quickly pick some folk's brains with regards to what may be different at a level 2 match as opposed to the more typical club matches.

Off the top of my head, my main questions are:

1. Any gear or items that I should bring in addition to my normal stuff?
  2. Are there any rules that are usually lax in clubs but become strictly enforced at a level 2 match that may bite me?
  3. Any mental tips w.r.t. maintaining composure and focus over a longer match?

Really, any general notes on stuff you may have wished you did/brought/etc. to your first (or any) higher level match is certainly appreciated.

Thanks!

1.  Sun screen, bug spray, extra or different hats, a towel for cleaning you and or gun, water and even some lemonade type powders to mix and help keep you hydrated.  Think of what you normally bring and then say what do I need for an all day match where I might shoot 8 to 10 stages.

2.  The rules will not change but the level of difficulty will.  Plan on more stages with backwards movement, L to R or R to L movement with mag changes.   More walls and more difficult shots around them along with more props because they will have the time to set up several days in advance.  This means a greater chance of sweeping yourself as you open doors or pull levers.  So take your time and think about possible problems before you do it live.

3.  DO NOT LET THE LAST STAGE RUIN YOUR DAY!!!  Once the stage is done forget about it and move on to the next one.  Many people have tanked a match because they dwell on what went wrong during a prior stage.  It is done, you cannot change it, so concentrate on the stage you are getting ready to shoot.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lvl 2 matches generally have more stages and inevitably you will have a bad stage.  The biggest improvement for me was leaving that bad stage behind and approaching the next stage as a brand new match.  If you blow by a target or have a few mikes or whatever, leave it at the stage and treat each stage as a New Match where you are shooting within your skill set.  Don’t be afraid to push it a bit but don’t try to keep up with the GM’s if you are a C shooter.  Do watch how the GM stage plan and if you have time incorporate any efficiencies you can.  Don’t change your plan right before you shoot though.  Someone has said a properly executed bad plan is better than a poorly executed great plan was spot on.  

When you are called in the hole make sure that you walk the stage and solidify your plan in your head.  Stop resetting the stage and make sure your magazines are ready and you are mentally ready.  After you have shot follow the RO and make sure you agree with the scoring call. (Someone will grab your magazines). No RO/CRO should get offended if you ask for an overlay and don’t be afraid to call for the RM to make a final call.  I am a CRO and encourage shooters to call for the RM.  I get calls wrong and have been overruled. I don’t take it personally and love learning from an experienced Range Master.  Be curtious, but the rules are in place of you disagree.  It’s simple to pull a target and make sure the call is correct.

Be a a good squad mate.  Help with reset.  Most L2/3 matches are lost brass so grab a paint can or roll of tape and pitch in.  It’s so much easier if the whole squad helps out and you will probably make a few new friends in the process.

RO’s - they will be watching all safety matters, start conditions, foot faults, extra shots no shoots ect.  Know the rule book.

Edited by sbo76

Organize! As a recovering consultant/project manager, I make lists; mental and ink on paper long before the match. Nail down your travel arrangements-no surprises are a good thing.

Pre-match:  Ensure your gear is in shape.  If you clean your gun make sure it works before you get to the match.  All your gear: shoes, socks, belts, mags, holster etc....Lay it all out days before the match and inventory it.

Match Day: Nutrition is critical.  Fluids are more important-it has been said a 10% decrease in hydration can lead to a 40% reduction in performance.  Sometimes the hardest thing to do is introducing yourself to your squad mates.

Stage: READ the briefing, then read it again.  Locate and count all targets.  Make a plan, visualize it, Do NOT change it while on deck. Shoot within your abilities.

I use to travel with some GMs.  You would not believe how anal/detailed oriented these guys were--nothing was assumed to be ok with them checking and rechecking.  They were the same way in walking the stage.  When they got to line, they knew what, when and where; all they did was shoot one shot at a time.

On 8/22/2018 at 3:14 PM, ChuckS said:

UMC ammo has been specifically named as going sub-minor. Chrono or maybe shoot for no score...

So good news! I managed to get a hold of our club's chrono today and do some testing. Got an average velocity of 1205 fps with a low of 1143 and a high of 1246. I think that should give me a fair bit of buffer in case the particular chrono setup at the match is slightly different than the one I used.

I would be interested to see what my gun does with other ammo now though....

On 8/22/2018 at 10:56 AM, Acer2428 said:

I'm in the same boat as OP and on top of that, only been shooting PCC division for a few weeks now. Appreciate all the tips and advice. 

I’d practice moving around walls and tighter spaces if you’ve only been shooting PCC for a short time.  Seen plenty of DQs because guys aren’t aware of that muzzle on lateral movement.    Kinda hard to notice on your own. 

Also, practice that unloaded start and such.  I always see a few PCC guys fall apart on that.  Those mags don’t seat well in some builds. 

18 minutes ago, CTJer said:

I’d practice moving around walls and tighter spaces if you’ve only been shooting PCC for a short time.  Seen plenty of DQs because guys aren’t aware of that muzzle on lateral movement.    Kinda hard to notice on your own. 

Also moving away from the backstop, if you haven't done that before.

If possible, I like to plan retreats so that I can just leave the pistol pointing downrange, with the strong hand arm roughly straight, while I move towards my weak hand side. Others like to point the pistol over the weak hand side shoulder, or around weak side arm, but I get a very cramped feeling if I need to do that.

10 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

That's very wide variation for factory ammo. 

So this is the first time that I've used a chrono, so its possible I messed up. However, the fact that I got as much consistency between strings led me to believe that things were generally okay.

My notes from the session looked like this:

String 1 4 shots 1223 high 1184 low 1207 average

String 2 4 shots 1236 high 1143 low 1204 average

String 3 5 shots 1224 high 1171 low 1205 average

String 4 5 shots 1246 high 1146 low 1202 average

Also FWIW, these weren't taken with the UMC green box I typically buy. My LGS didn't have much green box in stock, so I got a case of the Remington military/LE training rounds instead (like this https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1019417668/remington-military-law-enforcement-training-ammunition-9mm-luger-115-grain-full-metal-jacket). I naively assumed that UMC and the training ammo were identical, but I am often an idiot and could certainly be wrong.

In either case, is there a factory brand that is generally available that most folks trust to make minor out of a 5" barrel? I'm certainly willing to go get a case of something else to ensure I won't go sub-minor during a big match. At the end of the day, its not like the stuff I have won't go to waste.

• 2 months later...
On 8/22/2018 at 2:08 PM, random_guy7531 said:

This is all really great advice. Thanks a bunch!

In particular, I needed this one:

I was rather explicitly planning on changing out my striker spring due to known problems with the stock one breaking strikers (Canik TP9SFX). I will instead *not* be doing that, and it will have to wait until after the match.

So I have a few follow up questions:

1. I always shoot factory ammo - I lack the apartment space for a reloading setup so I'm stuck with what I can buy. Because of this, I never put my gun on a chrono before. Is that worth doing? Or am I safe in assuming that factory ammo should make the chrono? I typically use Remington UMC 115 grain FWIW.
  2. A bunch of people have mentioned to bring a chair. Is there one that most people like? I only have a shoulder bag so Ill have to tote a chair around the old fashioned way -  I didn't know if there was a compact style of chair people like in particular.

I tried several folding chairs and ended up with this one and i really like it.  I'm not a young gun and if there is a chance to sit down and rest for a minute I take it.  This chair is light, folds up in a second and fits very easily into the rifle holder on my cart.  The bottom is just a triangle, but its comfortable. I got it on amazon for about $20.

TravelChair Ultimate Slacker 2.0 Chair, Red

On 8/22/2018 at 2:13 PM, Hi-Power Jack said:

On 8/25/2018 at 2:36 PM, random_guy7531 said:

.is there a factory brand that is generally available that most folks trust to make minor out of a 5" barrel? I'm certainly willing to go get a case of something else to ensure I won't go sub-minor during a big match. At the end of the day, its not like the stuff I have won't go to waste.

UMC 115gr often barely makes PF out of a 5” gun. Sometimes it doesn’t. On the other hand there’s Winchester white box. It always chronos 135-141 in 4 to 5 inch barrels. WWB is readily avaialable and a safe bet. I’d be confident buying it from the store and taking it directly to Nationals if my ammo got stolen.

CCI Blazer isn’t quite so hot but is still 130+ from what I recall, but I would wait for someone to back me up on that one.

American Eagle 124 is pretty easy to find, shoots a bit softer, and has also always made PF very comfortably.

Edited by MemphisMechanic