Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

So I'm going to my first non-level 1 match. Any tips?

random_guy7531

So I'm going to my first "large" match in a couple of weeks , and I wanted to just real quickly pick some folk's brains with regards to what may be different at a level 2 match as opposed to the more typical club matches.

Off the top of my head, my main questions are:

1. Any gear or items that I should bring in addition to my normal stuff?
  2. Are there any rules that are usually lax in clubs but become strictly enforced at a level 2 match that may bite me?
  3. Any mental tips w.r.t. maintaining composure and focus over a longer match?

Really, any general notes on stuff you may have wished you did/brought/etc. to your first (or any) higher level match is certainly appreciated.

Thanks!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Read the rule book about your division and make sure your gun and rig meet all the rules.

Double check mag length

Make sure your ammo Chrono's (most L2's have a chrono stage, ammo and equipment will be checked.

Mentally prepare NOW to shoot like you shoot L1 matches.  you don't get better just cause your at a big match.

Shoot your strengths and mitigate your weaknesses.

HAVE FUN, enjoy the moment! 

Get an idea of the range turf. (Sand, gravel, grass,......)

I shot my first major at a very sandy range.  That sand gets everywhere.  Cost me a few malfunctions.   

Bring snacks. There should be water thanks to Matt Hopkins ?

Bring a few more snacks, try to be well rested. It's probably gonna be more stages than your used to. There'll be food, but you might not like it.

Don't show up with new shoes, or an untested anything. Definitely don't go changing spring rates the night before.

Double check any gear position limits on the belt. Gun distance from inner belt has bit some people this year.

Make sure you make your declared PF with the ammo you will use.

Ease up on the practice a week out or so if you've been pushing hard, don't risk an injury.

2 hours ago, random_guy7531 said:

So I'm going to my first "large" match in a couple of weeks , and I wanted to just real quickly pick some folk's brains with regards to what may be different at a level 2 match as opposed to the more typical club matches.

Off the top of my head, my main questions are:

1. Any gear or items that I should bring in addition to my normal stuff?
  2. Are there any rules that are usually lax in clubs but become strictly enforced at a level 2 match that may bite me?

Really, any general notes on stuff you may have wished you did/brought/etc. to your first (or any) higher level match is certainly appreciated.

Thanks!

1.  What is your normal stuff?  You should make sure your mag springs are in good shape.  Have stuff to take them apart and clean them.  Bring your cleaning kit, squib rod.  Extra batteries for muffs and/or red dot.   Sweat rag, glass cleaner. Rain gear just in case. Lots of water & snacks.  

2.  Jumping the buzzer, equipment position for your division,  etc.  Read your division rules as stated above.

3.  Shoot within your skill level, relax, shoot clean(you can win your class/division with consistency)  make sure belt, mag pouches, holster are all secured with no loose or missing screws etc., thourouly clean gun (I tear mine down 100% once a month to clean firing pin  extractor,  etc.  All that stuff that a normal cleaning doesn't get)  remember that what can go wrong sometimes will go wrong, on the bigger match.  Have FUN !!  BE SAFE!!!

Go as fast as you can and take all unnecessary chances.

Your competitors will love you for it.

===========================================================

Good luck trying to treat it like just another local level 1 match.

You'll be hyped. You'll see it not just as shooting match but a shooting carnival. All the vendors with cool stuff!

And the shirts! OMG . . . the shirts! I'd shoot better with one of those, I bet! Those folks must be GOOD! They're gonna kick my ass! If only I had one.

Now that the hype is expended let's take a deep breath get down to business...

As has already been said, make sure your gear works and your ammo makes power factor. That means, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Don't change springs or anydamnthing else just because you're going to this match. If you do change anything, test the piss out of it before you go. NO UNKNOWNS. 

Be on time. When your squad is due to be at a stage, be there. This affords you the opportunity to listen to the advice of the one person who has the most influence over your performance on that particular stage . . . the CRO. He/She will read you the WSB (Written Stage Briefing) and give all those cool details of what is expected and required. They'll even ask if you have any questions. You probably will have some questions in your head. Feel free to speak up! They will be more than happy you did.

Hell, it proves you were that one person who was actually listening to the WSB. 

Make a plan and stick to it. You will see some hard cases make runs on a stage that will blow your mind. You're not going to do that. No. You won't. Go with your plan of attack, and don't make last minute changes based on what someone else does. *A properly executed lesser plan is always better than a poorly executed better plan. 

Shoot within yourself. Which means, dial your best bad-ass-in-your-mind run back by 5 -10% and make an attainable attempt at the course of fire. 

Have a lot of fun. Meet new people. Ask questions when appropriate . . . not at the moment when someone is working out their plan of attack.

Did I mention, Have Fun?

**All of the above is hard-earned wisdom from my own experiences. Do as I say . . . not as I did.

On ‎8‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 9:23 PM, random_guy7531 said:

1. Any gear I should bring in addition to my normal stuff?
  2. Are there any rules that  become strictly enforced at a level 2 match ?

1.  Bring:   a backup gun, twice as much ammo as you need, more mags, bandaids, water and food, weather related gear, chair

2.  Yes, ALL of them.   If you have any bad habits, you will get BITTEN.

3.  Take it one step at a time, and ENJOY the ride.

Good luck.    :) 

Just curious where at??

Some of the RO's can be a stuck up, and a little picky?
Way more then your local matchs.

What division?

Bring backup ammo, preferred something different.

I usually bring factory ammo as my back up.

It is really no different just bigger.

I am heading to one a couple weeks, 2 day event, it is a long two days , but fun.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

On ‎8‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 11:13 PM, Beef15 said:

Don't show up with new shoes, or an untested anything. Definitely don't go changing spring rates the night before.

This ^^.  Learned that as a marathoner - don't eat anything, drink anything, or wear anything you haven't used in training.  No new thumb rests, springs, mag holders, or other gear.  Any modifications to your gear should be done enough ahead of time that you've tested them.

And all the other stuff too.  Especially getting there ahead of time to walk the stages.  You may get to see staff shoot as well and see some approaches to the stages.  Diagrams can be misleading, and sometimes the stages get changed.

And shoot like you know how to shoot.  You're more likely to have a good time and less likely to make mistakes if you don't act like you have to shoot like the cool kids.

One more thing - drop your mag before you rack the slide on unload and show clear.  That error got me to  Dairy Queen early on in my first major.  

On 8/19/2018 at 8:30 PM, Hi-Power Jack said:

1.  Bring:   a backup gun, twice as much ammo as you need, more mags, bandaids, water and food, weather related gear, chair

2.  Yes, ALL of them.   If you have any bad habits, you will get BITTEN.

3.  Take it one step at a time, and ENJOY the ride.

Good luck.    :) 

I get ALL of the rules are enforced but what are some that will likely get you bitten in a level 2? i know sometimes things get a little lax in level 1 matches and want to make sure i don't get a dq on my first stage ?

What others have said.  

1) read the rules for your division.

2) Bring a back up gun

3) chrono your rounds (some powders perform differently under hot/cold conditions)

4) arrive early and walk the stages maybe even video staff shooting.

5) Bring enough ammo for double the round count

6) hydrate before, during and after the match

7) DON'T bring anything untested or new to the match.

Have fun and be safe! Shoot within your comfort level

More stages - more time on the range - more time on your feet. Eat and drink when you can.

Level 1 matches sometimes skimp on walls and props, and therefore mandate shooting locations. When you go to higher levels/bigger matches, it is more strictly shoot'em when you see'em.

5 hours ago, cjsmith223 said:

I get ALL of the rules are enforced but what are some that will likely get you bitten in a level 2? 

The 180,  no ammo at safety station,  and finger in trigger guard while moving.

My only visit to The Nationals, a M level shooter was DQ'd on the first stage

reloading while moving backwards when he pointed the gun over his head

further than 180 degrees.   He argued, but they had VideoTaped him - after he

saw the tape, he conceded the DQ.

On 8/18/2018 at 9:54 PM, obsessiveshooter said:

Shoot it like you normally shoot

+1 

Sooner or later you will spend all day standing in the pouring rain.

When everyone else is eating lunch go to the safety table and verify that your barrel is clean and your gun is properly lubed, then check the condition of your mags away from the table, then eat what you brought, then go and walk any remaining stages you have concern about, then just relax. 

biggest things to watch for are 180 and finger on the trigger while reloading.  The finger thing usually becomes apparent on the "BANG", but some ROs will call you if the finger is not straight along the frame when doing anything other than shooting.

Sort of how it is supposed to be.

7 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

The 180,  no ammo at safety station,  and finger in trigger guard while moving.

My only visit to The Nationals, a M level shooter was DQ'd on the first stage

reloading while moving backwards when he pointed the gun over his head

further than 180 degrees.   He argued, but they had VideoTaped him - after he

saw the tape, he conceded the DQ.

are videos allowed for arbitrating a DQ? In 3 gun they are not is why i ask. Ok i think i can handle those. Thanks

IPSC has:

11.1.5 Retain Evidence – An appellant is required to inform the Range Master of his wish to present his appeal to the Arbitration Committee and may request that the officials retain any and all relevant documentary or other evidence pending the hearing. Audio and/or video recordings will not be accepted as evidence.

I suspect USPSA has something similar.

Discussions with some samples have convinced me that video evidence isn't necessarily all that conclusive.

Edited by perttime