Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pick me a non-comp gun

This might sound a bit silly, but you did mention that it might be used for carry, so I'd actually suggest the VP9 SK or the PPQ Subcompact ?.

I have a VP9 SK that I use in a local outlaw BUG match (which really just allows anything with a <3.5" barrel). I've found that shooting short barreled/short sight radius/small grip guns to be and enjoyable break from my normal USPSA stuff. Additionally, both the VP9 and PPQ subcompact versions *should* be legal in either IDPA BUG or CCP divisions (no promises there though, I haven't verified).

3 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

S&W M&P - got one two years ago - LOVE it.    :wub:

I do have a 2.0 full size and it’s a great gun. 

1 hour ago, random_guy7531 said:

This might sound a bit silly, but you did mention that it might be used for carry, so I'd actually suggest the VP9 SK or the PPQ Subcompact ?.

I have a VP9 SK that I use in a local outlaw BUG match (which really just allows anything with a <3.5" barrel). I've found that shooting short barreled/short sight radius/small grip guns to be and enjoyable break from my normal USPSA stuff. Additionally, both the VP9 and PPQ subcompact versions *should* be legal in either IDPA BUG or CCP divisions (no promises there though, I haven't verified).

Good options. I’ve shot both actually. I think I preferred the PPQ SC slightly. However, I hear that they changed a lot of the internals and it’s vastly different from the PPQ. I don’t know if that’s good or bad but people seem mad that it uses the PPQ name and likeness. 

1 hour ago, OPENB said:

How about an Officers sized 1911 in 9mm? I thought they would be fun to play with, cheap to shoot, and easily concealed. Could be a BUG competition gun.

Not a big 1911 guy. I’d like a 2011 at some point though. 

1 hour ago, BLUEPSTU said:

CZ p10c

I went to the store ready to buy one. Then I dry fired it and was like really? The trigger was awful. Gritty and tons of creep. Like a mile of creep. Couldn’t even call it a rolling break. It was like a double action trigger. 

On 8/19/2018 at 5:35 PM, Honeybooboo said:

Not a big 1911 guy. I’d like a 2011 at some point though. 

I went to the store ready to buy one. Then I dry fired it and was like really? The trigger was awful. Gritty and tons of creep. Like a mile of creep. Couldn’t even call it a rolling break. It was like a double action trigger. 

Very strange. That wasn't my experience with several that I have fired. Many magazines have reviews have raved at how good of a striker fired trigger it has.

11 hours ago, BLUEPSTU said:

Very strange. That wasn't my experience with several that I have fired. Many magazines have reviews have raved at how good of a striker fired trigger it has.

I know. That’s why I was confused. Maybe it was a bad one. 

The ordinary fullsize PPQ is basically a Glock 19 with a bit more barrel. The ”fullsize” PPQ and Q5 have a relatively short grip.

Cannot recommend highly enough. Even better ergonomics and trigger than a 19 in the same package, offen with a lower price tag.

I have a PPS for the times when I’d otherwise want a PPQ SC for the shorter grip. That’s a *fantastic* gun. I hated my shield for its ergonomics, whereas when I shot the PPS in Limited Minor I actually had a stage win in Limited with it! Really shootable.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

• 3 months later...

Totally forgot about this thread. I’ve picked up a couple Glocks since then as well as a Ruger EC9 that I actually really like. Also loving the Glock G45. 

Now that the VP9B is out I wouldn’t mind one of those. I was shooting yesterday and handled a PPQ Q4 tac at the shop and that’s nice too. But the high bore throws me off. I want something to put a red dot on and I’m like eh the dot would be like a mile above my hands. 

Interested to see what comes out at SHOT this year.