Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Seasoned shooter advice needed: the best way to clean the frame and the slide ?

Frogshooter

Will brake cleaner harm a Cerakote finish?  Ive always used Simple Green and super hot water to clean my stuff but it takes a lot of scrubbing - especially when I'm using Slide Glide.  Brake cleaner sounds a lot easier.......

Clean it with brake cleaner then lube it with Advance Weapons Technology's Extreme Force Lube. It is the best on the market. It is made by a shooter and a smith with true been there done that experience.  Plus it is very reasonably priced.

2 hours ago, troupe said:

Clean it with brake cleaner then lube it with Advance Weapons Technology's Extreme Force Lube. It is the best on the market. It is made by a shooter and a smith with true been there done that experience.  Plus it is very reasonably priced.

I tend to listen with this guy^^^^^^^^^says something.....

I use Remington shotgun cleaner on all my firearms to blast away the junk. I will than use a cotton patch soaked in slip 2000 and give the gun a quick wipe down and then wipe off any extra oil. Gives the gun a protective coat and keeps things looking good.

I use gasoline with 5% (about) oil (transmision or any thin oil) on my TSO.I use an airbrush to spray the mix to the parts, after disassemble in three parts , then blow dry with compressed air. I repeat two or three times ,it depents of the dirt, and in the end wipe the extra oil.

If you use something that strips the lubricant/rust preventive oils off the metal then you need to use something else to put them back, or you'll get rust sooner or later.

I use carb or brake cleaner, it really doesn't take much, a can will do several frames (not sure how long anyone else goes before blowing out the frame, but I clean mine often enough I don't use much - then again, I use enough lube the crud stays mostly soft and blows out easily).

Afterwards I let it dry, inspect it, and use something like rem-oil - just to put lube/rust preventive oils back on the metal surfaces.  I wipe off the excess, then lube with Mobil 1 for the real lubrication job.

I do remove the grips first.  Carb/brake cleaners can harm wood finishes, some rubber/plastic parts.  I've used brake cleaner on Glock, M&P and my P07/P09 frames and not had any issues.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/24/2018 at 8:44 AM, Husker95 said:

Will brake cleaner harm a Cerakote finish?  Ive always used Simple Green and super hot water to clean my stuff but it takes a lot of scrubbing - especially when I'm using Slide Glide.  Brake cleaner sounds a lot easier.......

It won’t harm  cerakote at all