Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1.5lb trigger for limited

yigal

I was running a sub 2 lb trigger for a while. It came that way from a reputable company.  I started having issues. I talked with a couple other shooters who knew their stuff. Both told me to adjust the sear leg for more weight. I did. Problem went away. 

Now I'm around 2.5 lb now. IMO it's not worth going under that. 

1 minute ago, Maximis228 said:

I run a 1.5 LB trigger in all my open guns. Some have over 50K without issues. Same with my limited guns.

I know SV will run their team open guns sub 1.

yes i know about this . and i know that their gunsmiths sweat a lot to do  this.

mine  limited with 12lb recoil spring  worked with 1lb 2oz  trigger  .but i changed it to 1.5lb.

4 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Might depend on the type gun - STI's maybe, Glocks probably no    :) 

mine is glock dvc ?

i can make 1lb trigger for glock but trigger will be longer than the grip.?

Edited by yigal

First, the quality of the hammer and sear take center stage.  MIM parts v. Bar Stock?  Who does the trigger job?  I know SV triggers that have over 80,000 rounds are still sub 2 lb.  MIM not so great.  A general question like yours needs more data.

I have seen some shade tree gunsmiths do <2lb triggers but they eventually crap out.  Kodiak Precision, ECG, Brazos, Bedell, McLearn, seem to last the longest.  Add Tripp to the list when he was building guns.  

Garbage in = garbage out.  It is cheaper to go first class in the long run.

24 minutes ago, pjb45 said:

First, the quality of the hammer and sear take center stage.  MIM parts v. Bar Stock?  Who does the trigger job?  I know SV triggers that have over 80,000 rounds are still sub 2 lb.  MIM not so great.  A general question like yours needs more data.

I have seen some shade tree gunsmiths do <2lb triggers but they eventually crap out.  Kodiak Precision, ECG, Brazos, Bedell, McLearn, seem to last the longest.  Add Tripp to the list when he was building guns.  

Garbage in = garbage out.  It is cheaper to go first class in the long run.

it's high quality parts and not need gunsmith  for this .it is a drop in set.

Edited by yigal

29 minutes ago, TRPOperator said:

1.5# should be no problem, when I have seen problems is when you start getting below that, around 1#...I run all my 1991/2011 around 2.25# and never had an issue

regular leaf spring under 1.5lb can make problems. i know that  for good low trigger  i need  high quality  leaf spring  or something else.

23 hours ago, yigal said:

do 1.5lb ~700 gr.  or less  trigger can be reliable in 2011   limited gun for long time ?

Both of my Limited guns have a 1.3 lbs trigger pull. 100% reliable, SVI triggers and EGW leaf springs.

Why though? 

Set up a nice crisp 2-2.5lb trigger, and go shoot the gun. 

Sub two pound triggers in USPSA guns are just something to brag to your buddies about IMO.  Not necessary. 9 times out of 10, the guys I see having doubles, ADs, hammer follow, etc.. are the guys that were bragging about their 1lb trivet at the last match. 

Qualified yes.  The lighter you go the more chances of failure, everything must be square.

For instance if you drop the slide on an empty chamber several times with a 2.5 lb trigger you may get a hitch in the trigger, feels like a slight click or may feel creepy.  But with a 1 lb trigger it could very well start following.

At one point the titanium hammers were all the rage, they worked great and you could get a lighter pull.  But after 10, 000 rounds they could also start following, even a 2.5 lbs, due to the titanium wearing.  It could be dressed up every few thousand rounds and last better but at least for me it wasn't worth the constant attention.

Edited by pskys2

I’ve done hundreds of triggers in 1911’s and 2011’s ranging from 1.2# to 4#, what ever the customer requests. The weight is not as important as how they feel, especially for the bigger guys that I do work for. As for your question, a 1.5# trigger done correctly with match grade parts will last a long time, 70-80,000 rounds no problem.

Tim