Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

650 9mm brass processing

I am setting up a 650 for the sole purpose of brass processing, starting with 9mm. I've installed a swage-it in place of priming. I've only ever used dillon dies.

Question: For the sole purpose of brass processing, what dies would you use and why?

Can certainly separate sizing and decapping. Is there any reason to use more than one sizing die? Does different consecutive sizing dies buy me anything?

Honestly, probably not. I run a dillon and a Lee standard sizing die with the decap pins removed, but that's only because I have the spaces available on a 1050 toolhead. Lee universal decap die, and if you're just processing for yourself, you can pre-bell the brass which helps if you're using the MBF powder drop die.

On 8/17/2018 at 12:11 AM, haiedras said:

Honestly, probably not. I run a dillon and a Lee standard sizing die with the decap pins removed, but that's only because I have the spaces available on a 1050 toolhead. Lee universal decap die, and if you're just processing for yourself, you can pre-bell the brass which helps if you're using the MBF powder drop die.

So you resize twice? Does one of the two sizing  dies do anything extra for you?

Honestly don't know. The Dillon is the first resize and I don't set that to go as far as possible, just an initial size. The Lee die is set to go as far as possible for full length resizing.

When I actually load I run a Lee U die without the decapper for one final sizing.

If I was totally OCD and was roll sizing my brass, I'd just run the universal decap die and then the U die when I actually load.

I have never really seen a need to run multiple sizing dies on 9mm cases.  I use Lee dies on my XL650.  

You will also need to occasionally check and tighten the bolts on the swage-it.  They come loose.  I use one on my XL650 for processing 223 brass.

3 hours ago, stick said:

I have never really seen a need to run multiple sizing dies on 9mm cases.  I use Lee dies on my XL650.  

You will also need to occasionally check and tighten the bolts on the swage-it.  They come loose.  I use one on my XL650 for processing 223 brass.

How effective is the Swage-it for 223? I use the dillon super swager but it is slow for processing 100's of rounds. 

z

24 minutes ago, xdr said:

How effective is the Swage-it for 223? I use the dillon super swager but it is slow for processing 100's of rounds. 

z

It's not bad.  It does a decent job other than the screws constantly coming loose.

18 hours ago, stick said:

Thanks for the heads up, might use some blue loctite to hold the swage it in place.

I think I'll move forward with the dillon sizing die and lee U sizing die. Any decapping die that is best? I've run into the issue with primers being pulled back into the case. I'd prefer to just use a stock die and decapping pin rather than modify pins.

Was eyeing the mighty armory decapping die.

8 hours ago, 12glocks said:

I bent more than 10 of the Lee decapping pins.  I wanted to try the hardened pins but bought a Dillon universal decapper instead and no more broken pins.

I bend dillon pins every few thousand rounds. Has anyone regularly bent mighty armory decapping pins?

On 20 August 2018 at 12:55 AM, stick said:

It's not bad.  It does a decent job other than the screws constantly coming loose.

Clean the stainless screws with acetone then use a drop of Loctite 243 on each. Let it cure for 24 hours and the screws will not loosen up. 

To remove just put a butane pencil flame on the head of the screws for about 20 seconds and they will screw right out.

43 minutes ago, Service Desk said:

Clean the stainless screws with acetone then use a drop of Loctite 243 on each. Let it cure for 24 hours and the screws will not loosen up. 

To remove just put a butane pencil flame on the head of the screws for about 20 seconds and they will screw right out.

I don't keep the Swage it in the machine as I use my XL650 to load multiple calibers.  It's just easier to check the screws every 100 rounds or so.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/19/2018 at 10:30 AM, xdr said:

z

I have run the Swage-it for .223 and .300 BO. It worked great for me.  I was able to return the borrowed Dillon Swager to its owner..he'd forgotten I borrowed it; I had it so long!

• 4 weeks later...

I just recently started using a secondary toolhead on my 650 for depriming/resizing. Ive only done 9mm so far. But I like that I can now lube the dirty brass, dump all in the case feeder, pre-process quickly then throw all the brass in the sonic for cleaning. Not only does this allow for me too clean the primer pockets (not absolutely necessary) but also takes care of cleaning the lube off without having to clean completed rounds. I do however keep my normal depriming/resizing die set up the same just in case something gets through that may not have been preprocessed. The already sized brass slides on through as if its still lubed. 

1 hour ago, PhillySoldier said:

I can now lube the dirty brass, dump all in the case feeder, pre-process quickly then throw all the brass in the sonic for cleaning

If I was going to process dirty brass I'd get the Dillon universal decapping die and skip the resizing till I cleaned the brass.  This will increase the life of your size die.