Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 34/35 Extraction/Ejection Issues

nadurra

Have a fairly heavily modified limited pistol I've been trying to diagnose the issues with.  About every 50ish rounds I'm having a stove pipe like what's show in the picture.  The frame, slide, and barrel probably have 50k+ on them so I don't know if this is just failing because it is getting worn out.  Seems like the extractor claw occasionally is slipping off leaving a spent casing in chamber as well while trying to load another round. 

It's a G34 barrel in a G35 slide.  It's not a conversion barrel and has only begun to act up in the last two thousand rounds.  Prior to that it has run factory and reloads very well.  The slide was further lightened and I've continued to run a 13lb recoil assembly.  Not sure if increasing spring weight would help. 

I've replaced entire extractor assembly.  Tried 9mm and 40 extractor.  I've honed the chamber with a reamer, it didn't remove any material.  I have not messed with spring weight, I have not replaced ejector with a 9mm ejector.

Any ideas what's going on here?  

5u19Um.jpg

Since the barrel and slide have some miles on them now, perhaps the 34 barrel in the 35 slide (and breech face) is moving around just enough to move the hood slightly side to side to the point where even a new extractor will not bite correctly on the case rim (or is biting on it too much). Both the hood dimension and the actual barrel o.d. are smaller on a 34 barrel which could allow movement. Even the tightest fit barrels will develop some slop in lock-up over time and this one started life on the small side for a 35 slide. This could cause extraction and/or feeding issues if the extractor hook is now interfering when feeding a new round or extracting a spent case. It would not have to be much to cause the issues you have described. The hood dimension on the rear of the 34 barrel is much smaller than the hood on a 35 barrel (or a 40-9 conversion barrel), in addition to the actual barrel o.d being less, and even though it worked for a while, with wear it may not work any longer.  Personally, I think you have been fortunate that it worked at all from the get go.

Even some 40-9 conversion barrels can be picky/finicky about the extractor and the ejector, requiring both a 9 extractor and 9 ejector when running 9. You could try a 9 ejector in addition to the 9 extractor and see if that helps. Personally, I would bite the bullet and either get a 34 slide so even the "mature" barrel will fit correctly or a 40-9 conversion barrel meant to fit correctly in the 35 slide. In either case, use both a 9 extractor and 9 ejector. If you know someone with a 40-9 conversion barrel or a 34 slide, sweet talk them into allowing you to try one or both and see if that cures your issues.

Get a conversion barrel. It matters. I’ve run 9mm conversion in my 35 and never had this problem. The extractor should also be 9mm to ensure you don’t have this problem. I have gotten away with it at 3gun matches before when I just forgot to swap it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 8/18/2018 at 9:30 PM, loaded605 said:

Get a conversion barrel. It matters. I’ve run 9mm conversion in my 35 and never had this problem. The extractor should also be 9mm to ensure you don’t have this problem. I have gotten away with it at 3gun matches before when I just forgot to swap it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Which manufacturers are recommended for the conversion barrel?

1 hour ago, loaded605 said:

KKM is probably best balance of quality and value.

I agree that KKM probably strikes the best balance when factoring in price, quality, and availability. I have KKM 40-9 conversion barrels for two Glocks - G24 and G27.

I started with a Lone Wolf in my G35.3, then a Glockstore Double Diamond in my G22.3. Both are more accurate than I am, AND they were less expensive than KKM, Stormlake or certainly Barstow, and all three were drop in, no fitting required. 

I really like BarSto barrels in Glocks, but the expense always makes me think twice. If I can find a prize table certificate available, I almost always take that route and manage to save some $$. If you can get beyond the price, they do perform well. Plus, with the dimension of their semi-drop-in barrels, it is always a crap shoot whether it will drop in or need some fitting.