Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1050 Powder Drop spillage

My 1050 all of the sudden has started spilling powder all over.  Since I am loading 9mm minor with 3.1grs of titegroup I am fairly positive it is coming out of the powder drop.  Does anyone have a good idea on what I should check to make this stop?

Thanks!

Powder Measure issue or powder that gets knocked out of case when shell plate rotates?

Powder measure: call Dillon and discuss.

You can try to disassemble, clean, and reassemble the whole powder measure assembly, but clean the "powder funnel" first. The "powder funnel" (powder-through expander plug) may be dirty.

Powder knocked out of case:

Tighten shell plate until it doesn't rotate easily and back off the bolts until it just moves.

Remove shell plate and apply grease as shown in manual. I use marine propellor grease as it is very thick.

Don/t cycle press so fast.

Place finger over case as it leaves the powder measure die.

I believe this is a powder measure issue.  I will give it a good cleaning this weekend, but I do not believe that is the issue.  I tried cleaning it a while back and it did not appear dirty.

Does the failsafe return rod retract the powder bar fully? If not, snug the blue wing nut at the bottom of the failsafe rod until the coil spring above it is partially compressed at the end of the upstroke. You should still be able to slip a business card between the coils, so don't overtighten it.

Does the powder bar go to full travel with a case under the powder measure and the handle down? The powder bar should completely travel to the far side before the handle bottoms out. A guideline is to measure the case mouth after sizing, and again after flaring. The case mouth should flare to at least .010" larger than the sized, unflared case mouth measures, and up to .020" larger.  Less than .010" means that a shorter case may not fully activate the measure, leaving undropped powder in the bar. This powder can shake out as the bar begins to retract.

If you are using an auto-drive of some sort, you could be operating the machine too fast, and not giving the powder enough time to drop.

Finally, use a cotton swab and alcohol to clean the inside of the powder funnel.

Thanks Dillon.  The powder bar was retracting fully but snugging up the blue wing nut significantly reduced spillage.  Now it appears the only spillage I get is a few flakes when a case gets slightly stuck in the MR bullet feeder expander.  I guess this is a fact of life with using that expander to support the bullet feeder.

Thanks, again.

It’s been a while, but I thought I remembered folks not recommending the MBF expanders on the 1050’s. The Dillon powder funnel was preferred. I don’t remember why... I’m d and it’s been a while - LOL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It could have something to do with how much pressure it takes to retract the Dillon funnel vs the Mr. Bullet Feeder funnel out of the case mouth on the upstroke (none vs a bit).  I'll gladly have a small bit of resistance to overcome on the upstroke if it ensures I get a solid bullet seating at the next station.  It's still less resistance than that felt on the 550 (and I assume the 650) since on those the powder funnel also sizes the ID of the case.

On 8/21/2018 at 9:02 AM, Mike62 said:

I kept trying to use the Dillon funnel but couldn't get bullets to stop tumbling so I am using the mr bullet die.  I think there would be a market for a hybrid between the two.

I forgot to mention if you do have powder spillage between the drop die and the next station (which I assume is your bullet seating station), there's always the zip tie fix.  Do a search on here for a more in depth overview, but basically putting a zip tie between those 2 stations provides a bit more resistance to the piece of brass as it moves between stations and reduces brass movement.  With the amount of powder you and I are putting in the cases this shouldn't be a problem unless you're indexing the press fairly fast.  9mm major powder loads most likely have more of an issue :)

• 3 months later...

Not sure anyone can help but I am still having this problem.  It does not seem to matter how fast I operate the press powder still falls from the powder drop. The funny thing is I have second 1050 now and it doesn't drop a single grain of powder.  I can't figure out what is happening.  Here is a pic of the press after only 100rnds, as you can see the powder spillage is centered around the powder drop.  Any ideas would be appreciated.

1050 Powder Spill.jpg

Ok pull out the mr bullet feeder expander . Look inside I got one that was (lack of better words) or appeared

to be threaded . This caused a mess (not as bad as you are having). DA changed venders .   eather hone it out 

or complain to DA.

I agree with what one of the guys said.  While you've got it apart why not swap the working powder measure from your other press.  And then perhaps also the die and funnel if the other measure behaves the same.

Looks like a sweet setup you have there!  It must be nice to load indoors.  I got banned to the garage.

Edited by V2plus25

Well I found the culprit, I have no one to blame but myself.  Apparently the small plastic block became lodged in the powder drop and was causing all my issues for the last 15K rounds.  Once I took it out and reinstalled it on the powder bar where it goes, everything works fine.  Hopefully my stupidity helps someone in the future.

Powder Culprit.jpg