Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rolling 1911s into Production.

p7fl

i think production should be exactly that. a gun right out of the box. no mods, if i choose to shoot a canik so i can get more rounds then that just has to get balanced against the lower capacity pistols with better triggers and lower recoil. 

i think this would make it so people could choose to play to the strengths of the gun they choose

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, AverageJoeShooting said:

i think production should be exactly that. a gun right out of the box. no mods, if i choose to shoot a canik so i can get more rounds then that just has to get balanced against the lower capacity pistols with better triggers and lower recoil. 

i think this would make it so people could choose to play to the strengths of the gun they choose

We tried that 2014 through 2019. It's too much trouble for RO's to keep track of compliance. IPSC also tried this strategy which is why the SP-01 with 18+1 was the dominating gun for it until 2010 they limited mag capacity to 15 rounds. Finally, people like modifying their guns and resent being told they bought the wrong thing for the sport. I think one of the reasons CO is popular, besides 140mm and a dot for tired eyes, is that it's much more free with permissible modifications. I wish the D7 13 rule was removed so we could use CO as a home for full capacity iron sighted pistols too, but that's far afield from the discussion in this topic.

8M/10m is an interesting trade off and it's not obvious which is favored. Guys with SAO skinny guns shooting under SS rules happen to perform indistinguishably from Production shooters. I'd like them to compete against each other on a more formally recognized basis and extend the interesting 8M/10m choice to Production. I think @Gary Stevens great insight was the equality, or at least ambiguous advantage, of 8M/10 when he introduced SS division. We could use that lesson to improve the degree of competition in two divisions by consolidating them while being reasonably sure nobody's favored pistol would become obsolete.

13 hours ago, belus said:

We tried that 2014 through 2019. It's too much trouble for RO's to keep track of compliance. IPSC also tried this strategy which is why the SP-01 with 18+1 was the dominating gun for it until 2010 they limited mag capacity to 15 rounds. Finally, people like modifying their guns and resent being told they bought the wrong thing for the sport. I think one of the reasons CO is popular, besides 140mm and a dot for tired eyes, is that it's much more free with permissible modifications. I wish the D7 13 rule was removed so we could use CO as a home for full capacity iron sighted pistols too, but that's far afield from the discussion in this topic.

8M/10m is an interesting trade off and it's not obvious which is favored. Guys with SAO skinny guns shooting under SS rules happen to perform indistinguishably from Production shooters. I'd like them to compete against each other on a more formally recognized basis and extend the interesting 8M/10m choice to Production. I think @Gary Stevens great insight was the equality, or at least ambiguous advantage, of 8M/10 when he introduced SS division. We could use that lesson to improve the degree of competition in two divisions by consolidating them while being reasonably sure nobody's favored pistol would become obsolete.

i dont think ive ever been at a match where the RO even tried to keep track of the guns being used. 

15 minutes ago, SGT_Schultz said:

I have noticed two things in local matches in my area:

1. Shooters shoot whatever division they like and they don't care if there's a deep field 

This is spot on. I’m one of those guys we simply call “an Open shooter”. I don’t care nor pay much attention to what other people shoot.

1 hour ago, SGT_Schultz said:

1. Shooters shoot whatever division they like and they don't care if there's a deep field or not.

2. Practiscore makes managing all the divisions we have a non-issue.

This man is a genius! 

19 hours ago, belus said:

We tried that 2014 through 2019. It's too much trouble for RO's to keep track of compliance.

Do it like a horse race.  Win, place, and show get tested.  Who cares about the also-rans?

The PPC Nationals have a neat event.  Guns and ammo issued on the firing line.  

10 hours ago, AverageJoeShooting said:

i dont think ive ever been at a match where the RO even tried to keep track of the guns being used. 

Then you never shot a Production nationals prior to like 2010.

On 10/8/2020 at 10:21 AM, Intheshaw1 said:

I think we should roll revolver in with the muzzleloader division, create a pocket pistol division, combine open, carry optics, and PCC, drop L10, create a shotgun division specifically for the Judge, and finish off with a wrist rocket division.....

I like this but with a few suggestions / questions. 

Muzzleloader div is required to have all reloading apparatus on belt behind the hip bone correct?

I can run my derringer in the shotgun division with the judges as long as I shoot ratshot and adhere to the Derringer-2 minor / D-1 major rule correct? 

Wrist rocket - Irons and optics right, eyes aren't where they used to be. Also can I load my Barney round in WRO ( wrist rocket optics ) from a magnet after MR? 

Finally, back to MIS ( muzzleloader iron sights ), are magmells legal? Size limitations on magwell? Box? Reason asking is I have a very nice blundurbuss I enjoy shooting but suffer from a lack of competitors at the local level to compare myself to. Perhaps one day the powers that be will implement some sort of system where competitors from different areas can compare themselves against one another. Maybe classify said competitors with some sort of ranking. Perhaps call it a classification system! Maybe one day. 

-PTR

future muzzleloader optics / derringer minor shooter 

You joke, but if it weren't illegal under USPSA rules*, I'd totally shoot a match with six or eight black powder revolvers strapped on in various ways.

* Not just in the 'multiple guns' sense, but also in that you'd need a bunch of shoulder holsters, and also also that the only way to reload is handling ammo and a gun at the same time, unless you have a bunch of extra cylinders and a gun that swaps 'em easily.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/10/2020 at 10:00 AM, SGT_Schultz said:

1. Shooters shoot whatever division they like and they don't care if there's a deep field or not.

Agreed. I go into a match to test my skills against myself and to use the match pressure to build my ability to shoot while stressed. I shoot for me, not for anyone else.