Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 won't extract brass

Skillet_1911

Is the extractor slipping by the brass or is it not pulling it all the way? 

Even though you changed the extractor, it may need to be adjusted/tuned. the tension may not be enough to hold onto it. Are you using reloads or factory ammo? 

9 hours ago, Steve RA said:

Check the chamber for parallel walls and texture of surface.

3 minutes ago, schaet said:

Is the extractor slipping by the brass or is it not pulling it all the way? 

Even though you changed the extractor, it may need to be adjusted/tuned. the tension may not be enough to hold onto it. Are you using reloads or factory ammo? 

What they said, then polish chamber and feed ramp.

• 2 weeks later...

Check inside the chamber for brass shavings and check the cases for scratches, dings or other damage - make sure the cases aren't hitting or dragging on something they shouldn't be on the way out of the barrel.

Disassemble gun but leave the extractor, firing pin and firing pin stop installed. Slide an empty case into firing position on the bolt face and make sure the extractor is holding it firmly in place. Adjust tension as necessary.

(this one is a rare cause of failure to extract) Check the timing on the barrel, make sure it's not unlocking early.

These are all easy checks that I would look at first. Next are the fiddly bits. Since the case is starting out of the chamber before the extractor fails, I doubt it's a chamber issue but it's worth a look. I would next check the magazine feed lips and also make sure the top round isn't sneaking forward too far during recoil and interfering with extraction. Then I'd check the height of the magazine in the chamber. Next I'd have a look at the relationship between the extractor claw angle and the case rim - this one is out there but twice in my experience the extractor tunnel was bored off-kilter.

Holler with what you find and we'll see what else comes to mind that might help.