Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

"Indexing" your shooting belt

Hey guys.  I'm an experienced shooter but brand new to the idea of USPSA and double layer competition belts.

I just got a complete rig including a DAA premium belt.

My question is how do you put on your belt so it's in the same position every time?  Do you index the first end of belt with the center-line of your crotch?  Do you try to divide the overlap equally on both sides of your abdomen... and if so... how??

I was setting it up for the first time last night and.. unsure of the proper setup... I decided to split the overlap between the two sides, and made a small white "center" mark on top of the belt to align with the center of my crotch.

Is this stupid?  Correct? 

Help a newbie out :)

PS.  How do you prevent the inner-belt from coming apart when you remove the outer belt?  Do you put the inner belt on backwards so the velcro is going in opposite directions?

Edited by MaineGunner

What class are you shooting?

I’ll assume you are shooting production and need to keep everything behind your hips.

I put my inner belt on backwards. And line up my holster with my hip and then secure my outer belt with the ends in front

For the other classes where you can mount in front then I’d reverse it and put my outer belt on backwards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For SS, CO, and PCC, I put the inner belt on normally, then shift the overlaped section over the right hip. This provides a little more offset for the holster.  I have a piece of elect tape wrapped around the outer belt about 3" from the end.  I line this tape up with my zipper (if I could see it).    

Production shooter:

Personally I overlap both belts in front where no weight is applied. I put the inner belt on normally and then index the holster into the correct position to put on the outer belt.

If you don’t put on your belt and then know if you’re centered from a dry grip on #1 magazine and the gun... you definitely need to dryfire more. ;) :D 

Revolver guy here.  Because I carry all my moonclips in front, I put the inner belt on normally, then position the holster on my hip and wrap the outer belt around with the overlap in back.

Side note, for me, in the morning I put the inner belt on a bit more snuggly because it seems as I run around, sweat, etc, things settle in and the whole rig starts to feel looser than I'd like.  Take out that slack up front and it saves you having to bag up and retighten with all your stuff already on the outer belt. 

I overlap the inner belt to the right and the outer belt to the left. Both in the front. My holster (when not shooting PCC) and magazine pouches are locked in place so they stay put. 

My primary magazine pouch is oriented just to the left of my belly button (I'm right handed).  As long as that lines up, I know exactly where the holster and other pouches are located.

I also use a belt keeper on the outer belt to make sure it stays in place.

2 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Production shooter:

Personally I overlap both belts in front where no weight is applied. I put the inner belt on normally and then index the holster into the correct position to put on the outer belt.

Yup. I know where my holster should land +/- 1" so it gets stuck first then everything else sticks on.  If I need to adjust, simply jiggle the belt around.

5 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Production shooter:

If you don’t put on your belt and then know if you’re centered from a dry grip on #1 magazine and the gun... you definitely need to dryfire more. ;) :D 

This right here.

Once you set up your belt, putting that outer belt with the holster right on my hip where I want it is all I do.   I know my mags are good if my holster is where it should be.

I'm similar to others.

Inner belt goes on normally.

Production belt goes on forwards, holster indexed to proper position first, then wrap the rest of the belt around.

Limited belt goes on backwards, front mag holder indexed on the button of my pants/shorts.

For SS, CO, and PCC, I put the inner belt on normally, then shift the overlaped section over the right hip. This provides a little more offset for the holster.  I have a piece of elect tape wrapped around the outer belt about 3" from the end.  I line this tape up with my zipper (if I could see it).    
After seeing this, I tried this yesterday at my match. That extra bit of offset made a nice little difference.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/14/2018 at 3:07 PM, SCTaylor said:

Yup. I know where my holster should land +/- 1" so it gets stuck first then everything else sticks on.  If I need to adjust, simply jiggle the belt around.

On 8/14/2018 at 6:33 PM, CTJer said:

This right here.

Once you set up your belt, putting that outer belt with the holster right on my hip where I want it is all I do.   I know my mags are good if my holster is where it should be.

Exactly how I do it.  Simple and easily repeatable 

I try to keep the same holster position and magazine position by picking spots on me that never move.

For example, my holster is finger tip length in front of my hip bone, and my magnet is a finger tip length away from my belly button.  

Also, whenever traveling and I need to take things off, I put a line of tape on it.  

Hope this helps

Try and index off a certain spot on your body, either your hips, or something. 

Get used to adapting, you don't always have to have it in the exact same spot, go do some draws when you get to the match in the morning, 15-20, start getting used to where it is right then.

• 4 weeks later...

I shoot carry ops and its the same as production, i index the holster and my first mag carrier on the 3 and 9 position on my body and overlap the velcro in the back. I find thats the easiest way for me to get consistent placement. As far as the inner belt coming off, that just happens when you take the top layer off. But never seems to be a problem because when the top layers coming off that means im done shooting for the day.

My inner belt goes on and then I spin it around until the overlap is in the back. My outer belt then has the overlap in the front. I like my holster up so the hole in the bottom of the holster covers my pocket knife. This puts the holster in the same position each time. 

• 2 weeks later...

Put inner belt on normally. Index outer belt on left hip using mag pouch or right hip using holster (holster indexed against Velcro on belt). I'll index using the first mag pouch for my single stack/L10/Limited/producion rigs and with the holster with my 3gun rig. I could default to the holster for everything, because I put my holster in the same place regardless of what I'm shooting, but I don't because the holster is prone to sliding on my SS/L10/L/P stuff and my mag pouches are pretty securely attached.

I align both inner and outer in the front center like yourself. Then I get a dry grip on the gun to make sure everything is set. I make sure the holster is directly on my hip. When I started I brought it as far forward as possible until it was pointed out that it caused me to draw the gun at an angle instead of straight out. Also, if you don’t have one you might consider getting a belt keeper.

On 10/25/2018 at 7:30 PM, tdp88 said:

I align both inner and outer in the front center like yourself. Then I get a dry grip on the gun to make sure everything is set. I make sure the holster is directly on my hip. When I started I brought it as far forward as possible until it was pointed out that it caused me to draw the gun at an angle instead of straight out. Also, if you don’t have one you might consider getting a belt keeper.

I had never really felt the need for a belt keeper until a friend of mine (right handed shooter, shoots limited and has outer belt set up to close in the back, right side over left) had an incident.

He was stepping forward out of a shooting area, sliding left and then stepping back into a shooting area. There was a wall that was being stepped around. His intention was to take a step forward, take a step to the left, take a step back into the shooting area, then shoot. As he side-stepped to the left the tip of his outer belt (at his back) caught on the wall and came almost half-way unhooked from the inner such that his holster was swinging in the breeze. Needless to say this was not his best stage of the day.