Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

any concerns with a used super 1050?

Hey everybody! This is my first post, I'm a little nervous ?. I have a SDB and I'm planning to upgrade to a super 1050. Besides bearings and lower shaft, are there other areas I should pay attention to when determining the condition of the press? Has anyone encountered excessive wear in the casefeed plunger track, resulting in a new frame? Seems like everything else is replaceable. I turned a wrench for awhile, so replacing parts shouldn't be a problem. Thanks for the help!

-Roy

24 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Unlike the SDB (love them), and all the other Dillon presses, the 1050 is

NOT covered by an unlimited warranty.

yeah, I heard about that. I don't want to be stuck buying a big ticket part if I could discover it during the pre-purchase inspection

I have three RL1050s that were purchased used and completely rebuilt.  They all function perfectly.  The only way I can see the frame being worn is if it was used commercially with a drive setup.  With a manual operation, you'd be hard pressed to load enough to wear the thing out.  Main concerns are primer slide, plastic parts, springs and misc. small stuff.  Basically, I would do a complete tear-down and inspection, replace anything that's worn or questionable, reassemble and adjust.  End result should be good as new and last you many years.

I bought mine used from a guy that was processing 223 to 300 blackout. I made sure the press functioned before buying it. I would see if the seller would knock the price down to cover the cost of a parts kit. I'd then go through and replace any part that looks worn or might need replacing.

Other option is, depending on how much you are buying it for it might be better to buy a new one for piece of mind and the one year warranty. Unless you are getting a steal on it.

Just my two cents, good luck!

For a couple hundred bucks difference I would go with new as well.  You’ll probably spend that much in replacement parts anyway.  For those who prefer the old style machines used/rebuilt is the only option. 

As a worst case example, we received a heavily used Super 1050 in our repair department today.  It had been modified to use an auto drive.The frame and shaft were worn over .010" past dimensional limits. The cost of a new frame and shaft is well over $1000. This is not covered under warranty.

On the other side, I have bought 3 used 1050's over the years. Each one was priced right and the extras I received were well  worth the price.  I did receive pictures and was fortunate enough to deal with great people.  INSPECTION PERIOD WAS ALWAYS IN THE DEAL.  I would be patient and go used.  

Jim 

Whether you go new or used on the 1050 (or any press) the spare parts kit, which someone already mentioned, is a really good idea.  Waiting for parts to show up in the mail is not fun.  Swapping parts out from the parts kit and then ordering replacements helps keep you reloading while the parts come in the mail.