Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The best PCC I could come up with

I was asked to put together the best PCC I could come up with under $1500. Let me know what you guys think. I wanted to make is super light and also be able to use 9mm pistol loads.

Taccom's 5 in barrel and 11" extension with brake were the perfect combo. I timed the extension and brake, pinned and welded in and polished it up so it would look nice through the port opening in the handguard. 

20180414_153532 (Small).jpg

20180414_165914 (Small).jpg

20180416_095405 (Small).jpg

20180418_174011 (Small).jpg

The whole rifle weighs just under 6lbs with the bulk or the weight to rear (closest to the core body). With a mild 147gr load is shoots super flat with minimal recoil. Its the lightest recoiling PCC I've felt and I've build and shot more that a few. Last round bolt hold works as well.

20180418_180936 (Small).jpg

20180418_180852 (Small).jpg

Edited by blueoval16

That is a beautiful gun. Very nice attention to detail.

I built a similar set-up, but with a 10 inch barrel. It worked fine. The dot was a bit jumpy because of the increase in powder that is required to make PF in the shorter barrels, but nothing I couldn't live with.

Again. Well done.  ?

11 minutes ago, MikieM said:

The dot was a bit jumpy because of the increase in powder that is required to make PF in the shorter barrels, but nothing I couldn't live with.

Interesting. What PF do you load to?

I never softened my loads for my PCC, so they go 133 through a 5” Walther or 140-143ish though a 14” PCC. I tuned the top ports in my comp to run on the amount of gas my Production 125gr ammo produces, so lighter loads mean more dot bounce for me.

Was your gun ported or comped at 5” like this one is... or was it the conventional ULW taccom setup?

Edited by MemphisMechanic
1 hour ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Interesting. What PF do you load to?

I never softened my loads for my PCC, so they go 133 through a 5” Walther or 140-143ish though a 14” PCC. I tuned the top ports in my comp to run on the amount of gas my Production 125gr ammo produces, so lighter loads mean more dot bounce for me.

Was your gun ported or comped at 5” like this one is... or was it the conventional ULW taccom setup?

I load to get 130 (give or take), but all my barrels are 16 inches and that requires the least amount of powder to make it.

The gun had the port at 10 inches. I used a Taccom 6 and 1/2 inch ported extension.

By-the-way. I had forgotten that you were using a CMMG carbine. It would naturally have a softer recoil impulse than a true blow-back (like mine) because of the delay afforded by the bolt.

Therefore I offer half an apology.  ^_^

1 hour ago, MikieM said:

I load to get 130 (give or take), but all my barrels are 16 inches and that requires the least amount of powder to make it.

The gun had the port at 10 inches. I used a Taccom 6 and 1/2 inch ported extension.

Thanks. Helpful info!

1 hour ago, MikieM said:

By-the-way. I had forgotten that you were using a CMMG carbine. It would naturally have a softer recoil impulse than a true blow-back (like mine) because of the delay afforded by the bolt.

Therefore I offer half an apology.  ^_^

Yes, that’s why I was saying our guns logically should prefer very different things. My locals running hydro buffers and the same spring as I have similar bolt travel and much more felt recoil.

For reference, if all 3 are bone stock, the Guard is halfway between the conventional AR9 and an MPX. An odd mix.

Now let’s give this man with the sexy new gun his thread back. 

I wonder how much that 11" extension weighs compared to a 14" barrel

I don't have any data to back it up or anything laying around to compare it to but the feel in the hands is noticeable. Swinging from target to target without over-travel is effortless, Kinda like an SBR but having a full size handguard to drive it. 

Never put your hand on the gas port, yet? ?

If your an experienced shooter with consistent grip the port is far enough back that it doesn't pose enough of a danger for it not to be there. It really does a good job of keeping things flat. Transitions and weak hand shooting its never posed a problem either.  With that being said, I wouldn't hand it off to a new shooter without telling them about the finger tip removal device this PCC has! ;)  I've been told its been affectionately named the  the cho cho train by other shooters, the way the gas ports out the top....And no its doesn't interfere with the optic.

How does the barrel shroud feel? Rigid enough? Not too slippery?

The shroud is super light but very rigid. You can run without the CF hand guard but the tube is only 1" in diameter and feels pretty weird to grab onto. Taccom sells a foam grip for the shroud to run it like that but the CF tube feels much better.

1760400682_20180418_180936(Small).jpg.6e90308f7e0302b1829f4c12aac52e78.jpg

I see one potential issue down the road due to the Taccom barrel nut. If you ever remove it for any reason, the single hole for the handguard screw will no longer line up properly to time the hole in the handguard with the barrel port. If Taccom would take the extra time to put holes all the way around the nut like other handguard makers, this wouldn’t be an issue. Sure, you can drill and tap your own holes later, but why should you have to?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I see one potential issue down the road due to the Taccom barrel nut. If you ever remove it for any reason, the single hole for the handguard screw will no longer line up properly to time the hole in the handguard with the barrel port. If Taccom would take the extra time to put holes all the way around the nut like other handguard makers, this wouldn’t be an issue. Sure, you can drill and tap your own holes later, but why should you have to?

Good point and observation. I'm not too wild about the design of the barrel nut/ handguard interface myself but I see why it is the way it is.  A side issue was when I originally torqued  the barrel nut to spec the screw was in the 10 O'clock position, Kinda bugged me. This gave me a good reason to lap the face of the receiver to square the barrel up, It also luckily bought me a couple degrees on the threads to end up top dead center for the screw. I would have liked it to be at the 6 O'clock position but didn't want to use any barrel nut shims. Its was only after I got the handguard on and port cut that I realized what you pointed out. Not a huge deal but a new hole in the CF would need to be drilled If things didn't torque back to the same position after removal (which they rarely do). 

On ‎8‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 4:02 PM, blueoval16 said:

I added a Taccom extreme bolt and adjustable buffer system, Opened up and polished the magwell, dropped in a nice trigger and finished off with a C-more

I wanted to thank you for a great idea! I saw the pic of the beautiful gun you built and it got me to thinking, I have the same lower on my gun as you used and it forced me to look closely at the magwell.  I knew it was decently flared but I never noticed the step between the flaring and the outside of the magwell !

Time to go to work on that, which I did today.

Again, thank you for the pioneer effort!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PCC 1.jpg

PCC 2.jpg

Edited by SJMPCC022
fix pictures