Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Volquartsen 6" Upper - RFPI

wyliearms

Any of you guys running a 6" Volq upper on a M3 22/45 frame? I am wanting to get in to a little RFPI and am having some issues with my current setup. Is this the way to go? I'd like a Scorpion but I'm being cheap. I figure I could get by with the upper first and then maybe add the lower.

Thoughts?

18 hours ago, wyliearms said:

Thoughts?

LLV uppers are a good way to go. I would suggest to be sure to get one with their "sport" chamber instead of the match chamber. You just request it. The (silver) NP3 finish makes clean up easy  Same with their coated bolts. I have one with their DLC coating and nothing sticks. You literally just wipe it off. I started out shooting a Mk3 22/45 Lite for RFPO and it's slowly morphed into a  "built from parts" Scorpion.

I would stay away from the Scorpion- been there done that.  Lower is not all it is cracked up to be.  I've had two 6" uppers.  One was one hole accurate at 25 yards, the other grouped 1" at 25.  If you want to stay with Ruger or Buckmark lowers, Tacsol is the way to go.  It is lighter than the V upper and transitions faster.  It is also considerably cheaper.  Plus you can put any comp on them.  With the V, you have to use their comp.  It is not as effective and you have to be careful not to lose the three locating pins when you take it off.

Having used all of the above, plus two more for steel and steel challenge, I went a different route.  I bought conversion kits for my 1911s.  One was a Marvel Unit One.  The other was a custom CWA upper.  Both, plus the mags that go with have been 100% reliable over two seasons.  The only problems I've had are FTFs.  About one in every 300-400 AR Tactical rounds faill to fire.  None of the other guns were as reliable.

1 hour ago, zzt said:

... .With the V, you have to use their comp.  It is not as effective and you have to be careful not to lose the three locating pins when you take it off....

??? I have the same Maddmacs' 2245L013 comp on my LLV upper that I ran on my 22/45 Lite uppers.

http://maddmacsprecisiontactical.com/lite-comp-2245l013.html

3 hours ago, Tom E said:

??? I have the same Maddmacs' 2245L013 comp on my LLV upper that I ran on my 22/45 Lite uppers.

http://maddmacsprecisiontactical.com/lite-comp-2245l013.html

Maybe they changed the design.  The two I had about four years ago were set up in such a way that you had to put a lot of washers between the slide and comp to get it tight, plus you had to thin one of the washers to get the comp to clock.  Ugly.  I gave up and bought Vs comp.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/13/2018 at 4:19 PM, wyliearms said:

Any of you guys running a 6" Volq upper on a M3 22/45 frame? I am wanting to get in to a little RFPI and am having some issues with my current setup. Is this the way to go? I'd like a Scorpion but I'm being cheap. I figure I could get by with the upper first and then maybe add the lower.

Thoughts?

My 2 cents - go with the 4.5" and put a comp on it.  The 6" were popular before the comp changes in rfpi.  The 6" stayed flatter.

steve