Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shadow 2 Carry Optics

Foxbat

I am considering making such a gun, and have a question - has anyone done that? 

Where did you go for slide cut, and which sight did you end up using?

I know it is commonly done with Shadow, but Shadow 2 slide has different shape, so I am curious if if it can be cut properly.

Edited by Foxbat

In the smae boat.  My research has shown CZ Custom seems to have a slight edge over Cajun Gunworks, but I haven’t seen any objective reason to pick one over the other.

As for the optics, more of the same personal preference over objective rationale to get any particular optic for the CZ. I like how low the RMR and Sig Romeo1 on the slide. The Sig has a rear sight cut into its body, but it has a reputation for being unreliable.  That said my RM01 on my M&P CORE has been fairly unrelable as well...

I believe there was an issue with the gun's weight, in terms of its qualifying for CO?  Have they been resolved?

I am currently using the RTS2's on my open guns, and like them, but I see many people like the Sig.

CZ Custom shop did the work on mine. it's delivery date back to me is tomorrow so I will update with thoughts /pictures etc

later this week. I'm going with the Shield mini sight (JPoint) I have one on my M&P 9L and really like it. It sits low, is 

very easy to pick up, and holds zero quite well.

There are several people here who have made weight with an S2 and cuts for optics

CZC did my slide and I’m well within weight. 43oz with stock mags/basepads, stock rod and extended safety

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Red_Dot said:

It’s absolutely doable. I got mine just under the 45oz limit with empty 140mm mag.

i2neva.jpg

NIce.

Did they do the multi optic cut?   Or specific cut for the DPP ? Do you know size of the screws?  Assume M4.7. 

1 hour ago, GregJ said:

NIce.

Did they do the multi optic cut?   Or specific cut for the DPP ? Do you know size of the screws?  Assume M4.7. 

I actually had the work done locally. I provided them the cut specs and they took care of it. It’s a little different than typical pockets.

its M4 x 0.7 correct

I have one:

tjss316.jpg

-CGW milling (no window cut)

-Romeo 1 

-CGW bushing

-SP01 long polymer guide rod

-Cool Hand carbon fiber grips (41g)

-Extended safety

-Henning +4 and TTI +4 basepads

-A ton of other stuff

Comes in at 44.9oz

I have the new hollowed out Lok grips arriving later this week which brings the grips down from 41g to 36g so I'll have a little more room to work with (and better grips!).

In case anyone's wondering, the weight difference between the Henning and TTI is 2g (Henning is lighter).

The standard Lok palm swells are 55g with the screws, the new lightweight palm swells are 38g with the screws. I can't tell you the weight of the Henning grips but the stock aluminum S2 grips are 60g with the screws. 

If you don't get an additional window cut on the slide, you cannot hope to make weight with the stock aluminum grips. Without a window cut, you have two options: Lok lightweight or Cool Hand carbon fiber. 

1 hour ago, Silverscooby27 said:

Anyone know the weight difference between Lok palm swell shadow 2 grips and the Henning aluminum  shadow 2 grips?

My S2 palm swells come in at 1.87oz (53g) for the pair minus the screws.  I do have extended thin style tops on mine but can't imagine that little material adds much weight.  

Edited by NWfront

12 hours ago, Wrecks said:

The standard Lok palm swells are 55g with the screws, the new lightweight palm swells are 38g with the screws. I can't tell you the weight of the Henning grips but the stock aluminum S2 grips are 60g with the screws. 

If you don't get an additional window cut on the slide, you cannot hope to make weight with the stock aluminum grips. Without a window cut, you have two options: Lok lightweight or Cool Hand carbon fiber. 

Henning grips weigh 53 grams with the included hardware.

Its surely possibly without the window cut. Just have to get creative and look for places to lose the weight easily.

4 hours ago, Red_Dot said:

Henning grips weigh 53 grams with the included hardware.

Its surely possibly without the window cut. Just have to get creative and look for places to lose the weight easily.

I'm sorry but you're wrong. I do not have the window cut and I have gone through the process and crunched the numbers. If you want to have 23rd mags, you have to make concessions elsewhere if you don't have a window cut.

-TTI/Henning basepads (+weight)

-Polymer guide rod (absolutely necessary) (-weight)

-Reduced weight grips (absolutely necessary) (-weight)

There's no additional fat to trim from the gun unless your plan is to remove semi-essential parts like the magazine wall. 

If you don't care about having the extended mags then it's a different story.

My stock slide assembly weighs 18.4 ounces.

My CO complete slide assembly weighs 16.2 ounces. So in my case my CO slide is already much lighter than the stock one....

I also agree that if you wanted to run the 18 round, plastic basepad, SP01 magazines it would also be much easier to make weight. Personally, no way am I giving up the chance to run 5 more rounds.

Edited by rowdyb

1 hour ago, Wrecks said:

I'm sorry but you're wrong. I do not have the window cut and I have gone through the process and crunched the numbers. If you want to have 23rd mags, you have to make concessions elsewhere if you don't have a window cut.

There's no additional fat to trim from the gun unless your plan is to remove semi-essential parts like the magazine wall. 

Which polymer guide rod are you referring to to? SP01 guide rod is too short for an S2

Edited by xdnok

2 hours ago, Wrecks said:

I was able to do it though. I’m at 44.9 oz without a window cut. I did cut the pocket extra deep and I did not utilize the CZC universal plate. I also stripped about a half oz off the DPP.

Plenty of people hog out the recoil spring tunnel. There’s easily 1/4oz there if not more.

Henning grips are lighter than stock grips by 8 grams (.25oz)

If you’re scared of being over weight at a major match, that’s on your conscious. A weight limit is a weight limit. Being 1-2oz lower is only for your comfort level.

22 minutes ago, xdnok said:

Which polymer guide rod are you referring to to? SP01 guide rod is too short for an S2

It is about .100” short but it works fine after cycling it a bunch. It’ll round the end off further but it’s a necessity to squeak ~0.6oz out