Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mashing trigger problems

RustedFrog

I have been for three weeks now practicing dry fire drills for 30 minutes to 2 hours 5-6 days a week. I have greatly improved my times, transitions, movements, and ability to find my sight. This is in preparation for ProAm next weekend. However, I discovered during live fire today that I have destroyed my accuracy due to the fact that I am no mashing the trigger with my whole hand instead of a nice pull with just my finger. Anyone have any drills or advice to help this. I can get back to hitting the targets but I have to slow way way down. Thanks in advance!!!

The white wall drill like Ben (and others) discuss can be helpful for the basics. My problem was I had a pretty good trigger press as long as I wasn’t on the clock....then it went to h#ll....so I did the same thing you are doing.  I found that during dry fire making sure pretty much 100% of your concentration goes on into watching your sights/calling your shots helps a lot.

If you are familiar with Steve Anderson, try to get into Match Mode (not Speed Mode) at least 4 days prior to the match.  

As Ben (and many others) elude to, make sure you aren’t cheating during dry fire....correct grip, correct pressure, adequate sight picture, correct size of targets, minimal to no movement of sights during the trigger press.  

Everything I have said in both posts are coming from my own mistakes and experiences.

Steve Anderson’s first book and podcasts have been my focus for the last three weeks. I started match mode yesterday. But today being the first time I got to live fire was when I realized I had a problem. I should be able to live fire and will definitely be dry during every day till the match. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This is one of those things that come and go for me. I will have a series of targets with an A and a low C and it is almost always because I am smashing the gun with my dominant hand. The only mental thing that has helped me is consciously thinking about what my trigger finger is doing. Usually when I focus on that one thing I relax my right hand grip to the point that I’m not moving my whole hand. The drill that I find the most helpful on this is the doubles drill. I usually set it up at 7, 15, and 25 yards. I’ll start with 50 rounds at each distance and then I usually do another 50 at 15. I try and do this the first half of the practice before a match and spend the second half working transitions or movement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think it is more mental when you can do a good press, but then it all falls apart. Last weekend at a match we had a stage with targets with a lot of hard cover and it was Virginia count. I mentally got myself ready with 'sights, press  sights, press' over and over mentally until i could close my eyes and see myself doing it. Got all 'A' zones on the stage and turned a decent time.

Then did a classifer with all head shots, but did not mentally prepare. Was not pretty..

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I had to take a break from dry firing early on because I didn't "confirm it" in live fire and ended up much like you - missing.

After doing just live fire for a period of time, I was able to go back to dry fire and understand much better what I needed to see on each shot. The key is that you have to do *both*, dry fire and live fire. At least until you can fully call the shots in live fire, so you're not cheating in dry fire.