Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
Sign in to follow this  
sergeantbernie

Front sight fiber optic or black?

Fiber optics for sure. If the dot distracts you, just make it smaller. But when you get better, the dot helps you to see faster and shoot faster.

I prefer fibers. I always seem to lose a black one, or standard dot for that matter. Fiber optics have been the only things that work well for me thus far.

I can't use the blacked out  front sight...just doesn't work for me.  I started with red FO but tried the green and i like the green so much more...i can pick it up much quicker than red (unless in really low light).  

Red fiber optics for me. It just helps me pick up the front sight easier. If it's too bright or distracting just sharpie the top of the fiber to tone it down. 

I use Green FO as it's easier to find, but even with a FO in I still sight using the black edges of the FS.  The FO is there just for up close (makes it a bit easier to track) or dim environmental conditions where the FS is hard to find.

honestly, another option would be to get a very very small FO maybe in a green color.  and/or sharpie out the major top to dim it considerably.  

On ‎1‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 4:56 PM, pskys2 said:

I use Green FO as it's easier to find, but even with a FO in I still sight using the black edges of the FS.  The FO is there just for up close (makes it a bit easier to track) or dim environmental conditions where the FS is hard to find.

This....for me the benefit of the fiber optic is being able to use it like a dot for easier targets. As the difficulty of the shot increases I'll start to refine things and use the front and rear sights in a more traditional manner. I have to admit this is something I had to work on as I was brought up shooting bullseyes utilizing textbook sight alignment and sight picture. I started to experiment with this after taking a Stoeger class. What I've found, along with a lot of other really good guys on here, is if my trigger manipulation is on point the refinement of my sights doesn't need to be so sharp. Having worked this for a while now, I can use a target focus while using the fiber optic like a dot, out to 15 to 20-ish yards and get "A" hits. Past 20 yds, I can't guarantee A hits as well using this method, though I think the distances could be stretched out with more work.

Edited by BillGarlandJr
Additional information included in the post

With out a doubt you want a fiber optic, what Bill G Jr said is true, you don't have to have perfect sight alignment to shoot this sport especially on mid range and in targets, with some practice you will learn what you have to have to get the hits you need.  Perhaps the biggest thing for me is what color, if I use red then it is way too much like open and I tend to pull the trigger when the red dot in on the target creating a miss.  So I use green.  I also have several guns that have dawson rear fiber sights and have found I much prefer the solid black rear and only fiber in the front sight.  Best of Luck!

I recently installed a set of Dawson sights (competition black back, F/O front) and absolutely love it.  For the first time, I am punching out round holes at 7-10 yards.

I have tried it with and without a fiber. Found it was much faster with the green fiber. Just easier to track the sight.  On my 2nd shot on a target, seeing the fiber drop back into the notch is much easier with a fiber. 

I use green FO front, black rears. I zero'd at 20 using the FO as the Point of Impact if the tops of the sights are lined up.

On 8/20/2018 at 6:52 PM, cjsmith223 said:

I swap back and forth between red and green. I usually change it about every month and a half. by changing it back and forth it seems to help me with sight focus, Draws my attention into the front sight. I struggle focusing on my front sight when i need to so this helps. 

This was taught to me from a guy that’s been in the game for a couple of decades and has trained with some of the best in the sport.

Went red to green fiber, switched back and forth finally settled on green.

Each sight has it advantages  all black you focus on the edge of the sight easier, where the fiber optic you will pick up the signs slightly faster but won't be as accurate . i have had several fiber optic rods break in match and since i use the same gun overseas as for matches i won't go back to fiber optics.  Reliable equipment is a big factor  for me. With that being said everyone is different try them all and actually make a honest assessment with a set course of fire and time , But remember giver yourself the same amount of time of practice for each.

When I was younger and awesome vision, I preferred the black. Now struggling with up close vision, the fiber optics work best for me.