Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Front sight fiber optic or black?

sergeantbernie

I did some drills yesterday and finished up with a dozen El Prez runs with my CZ Shadow 2. During one of the runs, the front sight fiber flipped out and was lost. It was momentarily distracting but I finished the run with a 76% score, well above my C class classification (but not out of line running the same drill over and over).

The next two runs I scored 85%, then 87% using the now black front sight. The black sight with the pinhole of light through it seemed sharp and less....distracting, leading to two of my better runs of the day. I only completed a few runs with no fiber as it was time to wrap up.

Made me wonder, do I leave the front fiber out for a match and see how I do or do I replace it and maybe sharpie dim it? I have excellent vision (certainly a superior attribute to my marginal athletic skill...), So not sure if that helps. I've read that as eyes age, the fiber contrast becomes more useful.

Any thoughts from the A and above shooters that I hope to join the ranks of in the next year?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I started with red, but then settled on green. I pick it up easier.

I did the same. Wanted to try something new. It was either that or go with a black sight. The green is easier to pick up compared to the red.

I swap back and forth between red and green. I usually change it about every month and a half. by changing it back and forth it seems to help me with sight focus, Draws my attention into the front sight. I struggle focusing on my front sight when i need to so this helps. 

On 8/18/2018 at 10:59 AM, GOF said:

When it comes to front sights, much depends upon the shooter's level of vision. Experimenting is good. The targets & timer don't lie. Whatever works for you.

agree with this. everyone is different. I found that red (or even green, if too bright) washes out the edges of the sight, making accurate shooting more difficult. I personally prefer green, as small as I can get it, and dulled slightly with a sharpie or a few months of gunpowder and oil, but you may find something different works for you. whatever you settle on, try it in all conditions.... hoser 3-5 yard targets with wide transitions, 30 yard mini-poppers, and everything in between.

2 hours ago, cjsmith223 said:

I swap back and forth between red and green. I usually change it about every month and a half. by changing it back and forth it seems to help me with sight focus, Draws my attention into the front sight. I struggle focusing on my front sight when i need to so this helps. 

piqued my interest. I have many leftover red pieces. perhaps I'll try one in practice to see if I notice it drawing more attention... i too get easily sucked into target focus at the worst times (like on swingers or long-distance steel).

3 minutes ago, motosapiens said:

piqued my interest. I have many leftover red pieces. perhaps I'll try one in practice to see if I notice it drawing more attention... i too get easily sucked into target focus at the worst times (like on swingers or long-distance steel).

Its worth a shot. Its just what i have found works for me. I came from 3 gun and was really bad at focusing on the target instead of my front sight. it has been the hardest habit to get rid of for me. 

whenever my fiber optic breaks it doesnt really bother me as i am busy lining up my sights as fast as i can see them towards the target...

when i shot open in nationals i always adjust my red dot to the the lowest acceptable setting i can possibly shoot fast..

The fiber isn’t used to shoot with. It’s used to get your attention on the sights faster and then line them up. It’s just a speed thing. That’s why it doesn’t bother a lot of people when it somes out. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I wound up putting a green fiber in for the front sight giving it a shot during my all classifier match here last weekend.

It seemed to work out fairly well for me, but unfortunately I didn't make B class like I was hoping to.

In low-light indoor conditions the pure black site seemed to require a little bit of hunting to find it, so that's why I just went with the green fiber.

I had a good buddy of mine who is a much better shooter tell me that the reason my scores may have picked up in the last practice session with the missing fiber was potentially just due to it being a different set up causing increased focus.

This is certainly possible. I think the takeaway for me is that whether it's a red fiber, green fiber or no fiber - the most important aspects of performance are going to be practice and skill!

Edited by sergeantbernie