Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm dies for 38 super?

UpYoursPal

Hey all.  I've been reloading 9mm for just a few months, and I just picked up an open gun in 38 super.  Now, I get that super and 9mm have the same diameter bullets, so I thought "Can I use the dies I already have?"  The internet gives me a few different answers, and it seems like most of them say you just need a new sizer/decapper.  Does that sound right?  I haven't been going at this for very long so I don't have  strong handle on what works and what doesn't.

Thanks in advance.

I know longer shoot 38 super, check the classifieds for my die set and case guage.

Hey all.  I've been reloading 9mm for just a few months, and I just picked up an open gun in 38 super.  Now, I get that super and 9mm have the same diameter bullets, so I thought "Can I use the dies I already have?"  The internet gives me a few different answers, and it seems like most of them say you just need a new sizer/decapper.  Does that sound right?  I haven't been going at this for very long so I don't have  strong handle on what works and what doesn't.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

The 9mm is a taper case where the 38 super is straight wall. If I have to switch one die  back and forth, I’d rather just set up two tool heads, depending on what you are loading with .

You don’t have to re adjust each time 

• 2 weeks later...

When I first started shooting open I loaded 38SC with 9mm dies. Sized all brass on a single stage and then used an old SDB I had to load. Just had to ditch the sizer and back out the powder, seat and crimp dies to SC length. No issues at all. 

• 1 month later...