Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fitting 1911 slide stop

MJinPA

New slide stop does not reliably lock open on last round. When it does it just barely catches. I’m confident it’s not the mag springs as I’ve tried several including new. Any ideas? Does a slide stop requiring fitting?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What caliber is the gun?

If a 9mm, 38 Super or, possibly, a 40, if you are using a 45 slide stop, it is not going to work well.  The 45 slide stop does not reach as far into the frame as the others.

If you have not already, take the slide off, put the slide stop in place and insert a magazine to see how the slide stop and magazine are matching up.

1 hour ago, Guy Neill said:

What caliber is the gun?

If a 9mm, 38 Super or, possibly, a 40, if you are using a 45 slide stop, it is not going to work well.  The 45 slide stop does not reach as far into the frame as the others.

If you have not already, take the slide off, put the slide stop in place and insert a magazine to see how the slide stop and magazine are matching up.

yep

Anything 1911 requires fitting ? .

Does the slide stop rotate freely without a mag?  No, find where it's dragging.

Does the ledge inside the frame fully contact the mag follower?  No, check that it's the correct slide stop for that caliber and that the slide stop is resting against the frame.

Is there a detente impression drilled into the slide stop?  No may need to make a gradual relief on the bottom of the detente hole to allow it to pop up.

Usually the issue with the slide stop is it pops up too quickly though.

Thanks guys. It’s a 45 and is the correct slide stop. There definitely is some drag against the frame. I’ll break out my files and smooth it out a bit.

Anything 1911 requires fitting ? .
Does the slide stop rotate freely without a mag?  No, find where it's dragging.
Does the ledge inside the frame fully contact the mag follower?  No, check that it's the correct slide stop for that caliber and that the slide stop is resting against the frame.
Is there a detente impression drilled into the slide stop?  No may need to make a gradual relief on the bottom of the detente hole to allow it to pop up.
Usually the issue with the slide stop is it pops up too quickly though.

There isn’t a detent on the stop but the factory part doesn’t have one either. Is there supposed to be or am I missing something?

It could also be the follower or the mag spring not strong enough to lift the stop. Did the old one lock it back reliably? What was the reason for replacing? There could be something else going on too. 

You can also do a "stare and compare" against the old one. Look at the profile of the stop where it contacts the follower. You may have to take an edge of the new one. Also is the stop dragging on the frame? 

Surfaces to looks at: 

The notch where it fits into the frame

The leading edge that makes contact with the follower

The inside surface of the stop against the frame

The pin that goes through the frame and barrel link

What you don't want is any of these to excessively drag preventing it to engage. 

Got it! Thanks for all the help. It took about an hour of file test file test! I’m glad this isn’t my day job [emoji16]had to remove material from the top half that the plunger pushes against.

On 8/12/2018 at 2:49 PM, MJinPA said:

There isn’t a detent on the stop but the factory part doesn’t have one either. Is there supposed to be or am I missing something?

No the usual issue with a slide stop is it activates with rounds still in the magazine.  The fix is to put a small depression on the face of the slide stop so it takes a bit more force to activate.  Brownells even sells a special long drill bit to do it.  If done too deeply then the slide stop won't activate correctly.  

So the proper way to do it is to drill the depression and taper it a little to ease the transition.