Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2019 Multi-gun Nationals

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, tqshooting said:

USA is only an hour or so from Orlando. Super easy to fly in and out of and not hard to find a cheap flight.

Tampa as well. Last time i shot a match at USA I flew in there as the airfares were significantly cheaper than flying into Orlando. 

I shot the last western regional in UT a few years ago. Keep in mind this is before everyone was boycotting 3GN.  There was only 100 shooters or so.  I think that’s when Charles decided that was the last western match for them. I personally live in FL and I love traveling out west to different matches.  It’s nice to get out of you current environment and meet some new folks.  
They did that themselves by turning it into a bay match. I shot that match and was less than enthused. I think there was 2 targets over 200 yards. They tried to come back out to Oregon after not having a true western regional on the board, but it was short notice and during hunting season. 3GN shot themselves in the foot as far as out west is concerned. And I do travel fair amount to shoot as well. It's nice to get out and get a change of pace from time to time.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Yeah, the whole 3GN thing is kinda crazy.  How they went from the most influential group, to all but gone is crazy.  Kind of an end of an era.  We’ll see if UML can continue to grow.  In my opinion, it would be nice to get some type of point series, and national standings organized kind of like 3GN did.  I guess we shall see.  

I am definitely in!  I missed the last two years, but have hit the two or three before that, and they have been, by far, the best 3-gun matches I have ever shot.  I'll miss the long range stuff, as I think they only have one range where they can get out to 400, but I'm sure it will still be a great match.

On 9/9/2018 at 8:33 AM, Jts2581 said:

Yeah, the whole 3GN thing is kinda crazy.  How they went from the most influential group, to all but gone is crazy.  Kind of an end of an era.  We’ll see if UML can continue to grow.  In my opinion, it would be nice to get some type of point series, and national standings organized kind of like 3GN did.  I guess we shall see.  

I have shot a couple of 3GN matches, as recently as this year, and I was shocked at how...bad they were.  Like worse than a club-level 3-gun match.  Unless there is some drastic improvement, I'll probably never shoot another 3GN match.  And as a local club president who has run a number of matches, I feel bad for them, knowing how much work and effort goes into running a big match.

• 3 weeks later...

I think USPSA should move the Nationals to different venues.  As long as a range will except the match it should be moved every year.  This will allow people from different regions to attend if they don't want to travel far for a match.  Share the wealth.  Unfortunately I will not attend the match this year in Florida.  That is a long trip from California.  I did like it in Vegas because I could drive to the matches.  I will be patient and see where the match is in 2020. 

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Sunny, and 90 degrees, no cold water provided either free or for sale. Even Rockcastle has cold water. First day, afternoon squad started 2 hours late, last shooter of the day finished just after dusk. Stages not balanced; one stage took one bay and the next stage three bays so you get one or two squads backed up. USPSA has unique rules that will get you match DQ'd where at all other 3Gun matches would be at the most a stage DQ. The stages were challenging with a good mix of all 3 guns. I talked with Mike the USPSA president about the match DQ's I saw and he agreed that things need to change but not sure how because of NROI. No one on my team will shoot this match anymore and I would say that unless you are 120% safe gun handling and shoot a lot of USPSA pistol, to avoid this match.

1 hour ago, Blaster said:

Sunny, and 90 degrees, no cold water provided either free or for sale. Even Rockcastle has cold water. First day, afternoon squad started 2 hours late, last shooter of the day finished just after dusk. Stages not balanced; one stage took one bay and the next stage three bays so you get one or two squads backed up. USPSA has unique rules that will get you match DQ'd where at all other 3Gun matches would be at the most a stage DQ. The stages were challenging with a good mix of all 3 guns. I talked with Mike the USPSA president about the match DQ's I saw and he agreed that things need to change but not sure how because of NROI. No one on my team will shoot this match anymore and I would say that unless you are 120% safe gun handling and shoot a lot of USPSA pistol, to avoid this match.

15 DQ out of 180 seems a bit high, can yo elaborate on what you saw as problematic rules wise?

USPSA is more strict on when you can handle guns.

It would be interesting to see. Last year at the Nats at ProGun Club in Nevada I saw a lot of DQ's came from:
* walking in front of a staged firearm, even when asked by the RO to reset a popper/plate
*  handling/unholstering handgun in the car park
* ammo in the safe zone on the table
* running with finger on the trigger

I was suprised at the number of people who were suprised they got DQ'd to be honest.

I shot the match, and thoroughly enjoyed it.  I can say that I was amazed at the number of DQs.  I have seen many matches over the years that had DQ traps, and this match was not that way.  I learned a lot, made some mistakes, and had some shining moments.  Thanks again to all of the match staff that helped put this on.

the rock castle bros were there to see to see if they wanted to bid on 2020 but its back in florida in 2020.I asked Mike USPSA president about lack of shooters and the match only filled up once in its history last year. USPSA turns over the match to the hosting range and does not lose anything if it the match does not fill.The only reason USPSA did not get out of 3gun years ago was the president then was a 3 gun shooter

Here's my AAR for USPSA MG Nationals

I have shot several matches at Universal Shooting Academy in the past, and have always enjoyed shooting at the facility.  As a northeasterner, early season majors are sometimes difficult, because we really haven't had much opportunity to practice over the winter.  Additionally, I tore my ACL last August, and this was only my second 3-gun match since I had it surgically repaired 7 months ago.  

I was not shooting a sponsor slot, I paid my own match fee.

This was my first match shooting USPSA MG Rules, so I made it a point going in to be super careful with gun handling, etc.  Coming from a background of only shooting outlaw or 3GN rulesets, the 'mother-may-I'/babysitting mentality is tough to get used to, but it is what it is.  People got DQ'd for some completely ridiculous reasons, that were not even remotely unsafe.  These are rule issues, not a venue, RO, or match issue.

The stages were awesome.  Shannon did an awesome job designing some very challenging stages that tested multiple shooting skills.

There were some match flow issues due to the length (stage time) disparity between some of the stages (best time on the shortest stage was 21 seconds, best time on the longest stage was 75 seconds), but not any moreso than I have encountered elsewhere.  There's really no way around it if you want a match that includes fast stages as well as longer stages.  

The match flow was divided into 3 groups (stages 1-4, 5-8, 9-12) which meant that your 4 stages for the day will all in close proximity to each other, preventing you from hauling gear all over the property.  

The short answer, I WILL be shooting this match again next year.

Andy

1 hour ago, MedicAJ said:

People got DQ'd for some completely ridiculous reasons, that were not even remotely unsafe. 

Could you be more specific out these? I am actually curious,

The biggest thing I can think of off the top of my head is not being able to handle your holstered pistol, that I can see catching many off guard and it is somewhat inconsistant with being able to handle long guns.

I know many USPSA shooters that have tried shooting Outlaw Multigun matches and stopped because the lack of rules and lax enforcement of those that did exist made them feel uneasy.

36 minutes ago, MikeBurgess said:

Could you be more specific out these? I am actually curious,

The biggest thing I can think of off the top of my head is not being able to handle your holstered pistol, that I can see catching many off guard and it is somewhat inconsistant with being able to handle long guns.

I know many USPSA shooters that have tried shooting Outlaw Multigun matches and stopped because the lack of rules and lax enforcement of those that did exist made them feel uneasy.

Removing a holstered empty pistol from your belt - DQ

Pistol falling from holster AFTER ULSC while walking to another bay to clear another firearm used on the stage - DQ

Stepping more than 3 feet from a firearm placed on the ground - DQ

Bagging/Unbagging a firearm more than 2 yards from a berm - DQ

Edited by MedicAJ