Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2019 Multi-gun Nationals

So, it was announced this week that the 2019 Sig Sauer USPSA Multi-gun National Championship will be held April 3-7th at Universal Shooting Academy in Frostproof Florida. 

I for one am ecstatic that it is coming to USA. I feel like Shannon and the USA crew will build a great match. Most of the comments on social media are negative regarding the match leaving Vegas. What's your thoughts?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that frost proof is a top notch facility with top teir staff.

The size/location of the rifle range will hinder the long range shooting, otherwise be prepared to be tested by a difficult match. 

The replies are negative due to the fact that another major match is gone from the west coast. Like every single pistol national and IPSC national being there wasn't already enough. USPSA doesn't have any other 3 gun match on the west coast. Feels exactly like what 3 gun nation did and I'm no longer a member of their organization due to that.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, 3gunDQ said:

I think that frost proof is a top notch facility with top teir staff.

The size/location of the rifle range will hinder the long range shooting, otherwise be prepared to be tested by a difficult match. 

Defiantly, there is no doubt USA can handle a large match.

I agree, the facility will limit the number of long range stages. I imagine there will be at least one long range stage though. We shoot to 400yds regularly at the monthly match there. I believe it will be a faster pace match with some technical challenges. You're right, prepare for a difficult match!

58 minutes ago, AFguywhoshoots said:

The replies are negative due to the fact that another major match is gone from the west coast. Like every single pistol national and IPSC national being there wasn't already enough. USPSA doesn't have any other 3 gun match on the west coast. Feels exactly like what 3 gun nation did and I'm no longer a member of their organization due to that.

Do you feel the multi-gun nationals shouldn't move around like the pistol nationals! Last year I shot the iron sight nationals in Utah. This year its in Florida. This year multi-gun nationals were in Nevada. Next year they are in Florida.

I am not from the west coast. Are there not Area multi-gun matches like Area pistol matches out there? For instance, this years Area 6 multi-gun championship was held at...… Universal Shooting Academy!

Do you feel the multi-gun nationals shouldn't move around like the pistol nationals! Last year I shot the iron sight nationals in Utah. This year its in Florida. This year multi-gun nationals were in Nevada. Next year they are in Florida.
I am not from the west coast. Are there not Area multi-gun matches like Area pistol matches out there? For instance, this years Area 6 multi-gun championship was held at...… Universal Shooting Academy!
They do not have USPSA area Multigun matches out west that I'm aware of. Definitely not in Area 1, which is my area. Pete took on the USPSA Multigun Nationals when nobody else wanted it and built it to what it is today. Honestly though, USPSA has treated 3 gun poorly and as an afterthought.

I think it is great for it to move around.  With it being in Frostproof, I am planning on going if I can get a spot.  As much as I would like to shoot a nationals in Vegas, the fact is that I am just not going to.  I did shoot the USPSA Optics pistol nationals at USA in Frostproof since I got the chance, again I was just never going to go far to shoot in one.  It was a great opportunity to be able to participate in a nationals match since it was in the state.  I personally don't go further than Georgia for a match, I am sure there are others like me here and in other states that would take the chance to attend a nationals if it came to their state.  

Needless to say, I think it coming here is great and I would like to see it go to other states also.

just my opinion and worth exactly what you paid for it.

3 hours ago, AFguywhoshoots said:

They do not have USPSA area Multigun matches out west that I'm aware of. Definitely not in Area 1, which is my area. Pete took on the USPSA Multigun Nationals when nobody else wanted it and built it to what it is today. Honestly though, USPSA has treated 3 gun poorly and as an afterthought.

Is no one willing to step up and host the area matches? 

Is it possible the creation of the UML has anything to do with the move? It's pure speculation, but why have your National championship at a club where your format is no longer supported. Honestly, I have no idea. I am glad it will be in Florida, but I understand why some are not. If it moves back west in 2020 I will not be upset. I may even shoot it. I have only been to pro gun club once. I think it's a great facility and I'm very much looking forward to Surefire in a few months!

49 minutes ago, sloanslade said:

I think it is great for it to move around.  With it being in Frostproof, I am planning on going if I can get a spot.  As much as I would like to shoot a nationals in Vegas, the fact is that I am just not going to.  I did shoot the USPSA Optics pistol nationals at USA in Frostproof since I got the chance, again I was just never going to go far to shoot in one.  It was a great opportunity to be able to participate in a nationals match since it was in the state.  I personally don't go further than Georgia for a match, I am sure there are others like me here and in other states that would take the chance to attend a nationals if it came to their state.  

Needless to say, I think it coming here is great and I would like to see it go to other states also.

just my opinion and worth exactly what you paid for it.

I totally agree. Moving a nationals match around gives people like yourself the opportunity to participate. Not everyone can or will travel across the country to shoot. On the other hand there are probably only a handful of ranges that can or want to host a match of that magnitude. So, there are regions that will probably never host one. 

According to a comment on the Facebook post from USPSA, I think UML did play a part on it. It sucks to lose a match, but I'm sure it'll get replaced by a UML match. No one wants to take on an area match here due to the USPSA rules. They are supposedly very strict on targets to be used, and they require flasher targets after a certain range. My experience at this years match was less than stellar to be honest. Not with the match itself, but with some of the RO's and their attitude. Maybe a change of venue is good. Who knows. I just know I won't be there. Ft. Benning will get my money for next years travel match.

43 minutes ago, AFguywhoshoots said:

According to a comment on the Facebook post from USPSA, I think UML did play a part on it. It sucks to lose a match, but I'm sure it'll get replaced by a UML match. No one wants to take on an area match here due to the USPSA rules. They are supposedly very strict on targets to be used, and they require flasher targets after a certain range. My experience at this years match was less than stellar to be honest. Not with the match itself, but with some of the RO's and their attitude. Maybe a change of venue is good. Who knows. I just know I won't be there. Ft. Benning will get my money for next years travel match.

No doubt, and if Pete is hosting it your gonna have a killer match regardless of the format. I haven't shot Benning yet but I've heard nothing but positive. Its for sure a bucket list match for me. You gotta be quick to sign up though!!

Any thoughts from anyone for other matches nearby around the same time ? Might be a couple of international shooters travelling, 2017 ended up shooting in Utah for a couple of matches prior to the Nats at ProGun Club in the 2 weeks prior.

Before folks think we're crazy, yes have travelled to shoot at Frostproof before, after all, a holiday and shooting - what's not to like ?

There is a lot that goes into hosting a major USPSA multigun match and there are few matches that can host it. I think it makes sense to have it at a range and area that hosts an Area multigun match. I don't think I will attend in 2019, but that is not a slam on the match, USPSA, or the range. It just is what it is.

On ‎8‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 8:19 PM, Kiwishoot said:

Any thoughts from anyone for other matches nearby around the same time ? Might be a couple of international shooters travelling, 2017 ended up shooting in Utah for a couple of matches prior to the Nats at ProGun Club in the 2 weeks prior.

Before folks think we're crazy, yes have travelled to shoot at Frostproof before, after all, a holiday and shooting - what's not to like ?

There are several clubs that host 3 gun matches all over Florida. Im sure you could hit one or more prior to this match for a warm up before hand. Besides USA in Frost Proof you have Shoot GTR in Gainesville, Ancient City in St Augustine, Port Malabar Rife and Pistol Club in Palm Bay, Manatee Gun Club in Myakka City (Tampa). All have monthly 3 gun matches. Check out their websites for dates!

10 hours ago, Mike Morcillo said:

Just shot the ProAm at Rockcastle. Seems like a good place for the Nationals. Terrain, distance, jungle run, everything you'd want.

I also shot the pro-am. Great match put on by some great people! Yes, Rockcastle is an amazing facility. You are talking about a completely different "flavor" of match though. USPSA matches are inherently bay style matches. I could be wrong and someone please correct me if I am but I don't think there has ever been a completely natural terrain USPSA match. I do know some folks prefer one over the other. I personally like both. While I enjoy the physical challenge of a terrain match I also enjoy the fast and furious stages at a bay match!

37 minutes ago, tqshooting said:

There are several clubs that host 3 gun matches all over Florida. Im sure you could hit one or more prior to this match for a warm up before hand. Besides USA in Frost Proof you have Shoot GTR in Gainesville, Ancient City in St Augustine, Port Malabar Rife and Pistol Club in Palm Bay, Manatee Gun Club in Myakka City (Tampa). All have monthly 3 gun matches. Check out their websites for dates!

Thanks, will check them out. We're keen for Superstition match the week before in Arizona but with it being such a popular match, not sure if we could in so keen to look around... 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/12/2018 at 1:34 PM, AFguywhoshoots said:

I shot the last western regional in UT a few years ago. Keep in mind this is before everyone was boycotting 3GN.  There was only 100 shooters or so.  I think that’s when Charles decided that was the last western match for them. I personally live in FL and I love traveling out west to different matches.  It’s nice to get out of you current environment and meet some new folks.  

2 hours ago, Steve RA said:

One thing to consider about Vegas is that the airline fare to there is low from just about everywhere.

USA is only an hour or so from Orlando. Super easy to fly in and out of and not hard to find a cheap flight.