Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I don't claim to be an all knowing expert but here ya go. +R and -R are just completing formats (think betamax and VHS from the 80's). I've had the best luck with +R and that's basically all I use now. I ran into some cases where certain players wouldn't play the -R's would would play +R.

DVD-R is supported by more standalone DVD players. DVD+R is better at data integrity.

With the advent of cheapie DVD players designed to play bootlegged anything, compatibility should be less of an issue.

I tend to use DVD+R becaue I mostly use them for storing data, and I'll likely be able to read them for longer.

DVD -R is the Real McCoy DVD Video format and what is supported 100% by the DVD video standards in effect.

DVD +R is a format that is not actually designed for Video/Movies as much as for data storage.

http://www.anandtech.com/guides/viewfaq.html?i=118

Compatability has more to do with media quality and burn speed than +R -R

-R is more compatible with legacy players. +R is supported on anything recent (under 2-3 years old).

Both burn equal in burner drives that support both formats, but DVD -R at 1x burn speed is a much better choice for movies you are going to make for Aunt Doris and her 5 year old Costco DVD player. DVD +R would be the better choice to archive digital photos, raw video footage and audio files because of it's future support potential for data recovery.

Dual layer is a solution looking for a problem as far as the consumer is concerned at the moment ;-)

DVD's you buy are pressed and have perfect pits. Burned DVD's have crappy pits and the faster you burn them, ther crappier they are. Error correction routines are the next culprit in the compatibility chain. Some are more strict and some are more lenient.

Dat's the Fact's, Jack!

--

Regards,

Edited by George