Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fitting rear dovetail sight plate

gunner01

I am trying to fit a CZC optic dovetail sight plate to my SP01 Shadow.  It is too tight.  I have done some research and find two schools of thought on fitting rear dovetail sights.  Dave Dawson says to file the angled parts of the sight dovetail (he has certainly done a  few in his day).  Some others say to file the flat base of the dovetail on the sight by just sanding on a flat surface.  Seems like this would only work if the dovetail has room to sit lower in the slot.  It sure would be easier to just sand the bottom on a flat surface like piece of glass with sandpaper glued to it.  Has anyone installed the CZC red dot plate and/or have any general advice to how to fit it to a Shadow?  Thanks 

Edited by gunner01

I think that sanding the bottom flat would only work if the dimension of the bottom of the sight to the under side of sight was greater than the depth of the slide dovetail cut.  Otherwise I think I would remove material from the sides of sight.  It won’t take much so go slowly.  When you can push sight about 1/3 of the way in that’s it push rest of way with a sight pusher.

Well success.  Took a little off the bottom and then a little off the ears.  Tapped it in with a nylon punch.  Carry optics here I come!!

Actually not too bad.  Had some new sharp files, went pretty smooth and quickly.

Edited by gunner01