Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Disappearing drop turners (not NPM)

I guess there's no rulebook requirement for it but at the major matches that I've worked the WSB that I've read would always say "stomp pad activates drop turner 1 which remains visible at rest"

After that it's up to the shooters to figure out where it's available from

10 hours ago, mach1soldier said:

The written stage briefing at the stage required all shots before activation to be with bag in hand. It supersedes the match book. 

My buddy got 12 proceduarals by dropping the bag. Oops. 

Why not just toss the bag over to activation first then shoot. 

10 minutes ago, HoMiE said:

Why not just toss the bag over to activation first then shoot. 

That was an option but it required you to run farther to shoot the drop turner. It wasn’t a bad plan.

if you missed the activator 12 feet away with the bag, it would cost you a minimum of 50-60 points no matter how good you shot afterwords.

Welcome to Area 3, am I right?

Targets will be specified in the WSB if they are disappearing.  If they are not mentioned as disappearing then you know they are available somewhere.  

Also, this is Area 3, and this is what they do.

So that clears it up I suppose.  I didn’t mind the stage design by any means, just fell it’s misleading.  Not very helpful for newer shooters who may not have seen something like that before . You better believe I would have shot that drop turner from an alternate area if I knew about it.  Sometimes you have to learn the hard way.  

On 8/13/2018 at 4:26 PM, nutzach said:

So that clears it up I suppose.  I didn’t mind the stage design by any means, just fell it’s misleading.  Not very helpful for newer shooters who may not have seen something like that before . You better believe I would have shot that drop turner from an alternate area if I knew about it.  Sometimes you have to learn the hard way.  

Some advice I was given that helped me.

1.  Listen to the RO's read the stage brief.  They will state whether the movers are disappearing or not.

2.  During your walk thru, before you join the conga line...walk the whole stage outside of the "normal" shooting area.    

Stage 3, I ran and dropped the bag on the activator, then shot the whole thing freestyle.  That stage was awesome in that I think I saw 4 different ways of shooting that stage among my squad, all from guys who are Very good at stage planning.  How often do you see that?  

• 1 year later...
2 hours ago, waktasz said:

Just saying the target remains visible is all you need to say. Up to the shooters to figure out the rest

Amen! Just point out it does remain visible at rest. No need to walk them through the COF and point out where it is visible from. If somebody says , “no it doesn’t, I can not see it”, after you demonstrate it then I remind them to look for it elsewhere.

7 hours ago, MacLethal said:

If there is an additional shooting area to engage the drop turners than it is not a disappearing target and would need to be pointed out in the WSB and the squad walk through.

All you have to tell them in the WSB is whether a moving target is disappearing or remains visible at rest. You don’t have to tell them where it’s visible from, just like you don’t have to tell them where every other target is visible from. It’s up to them to figure it out. 

3 minutes ago, MacLethal said:

I would think that if it’s a shooting area it would be marked in the WSB but I get it.

The shooting area will be marked on the stage diagram, but the WSB itself usually doesn’t need to say anything about what is/isn’t a shooting area, unless it’s unusual or needs to be clarified (such as - “The balance beam is a shooting area” or “The shaky bridge is part of the shooting area but all of its supports are not”).