Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Current STI lineup

AlexV

So what's the word on the new STIs? It looks like they discontinued several more models. It's a little strange they aren't offering a 5.0 SDC bushing model to replace the Eagle and Marauder. Threaded models are gone too. I know they recently signed on Dave Dawson and Eddie Garcia. Any rumors about what could be in the works?

All I know is they stopped all the single stacks, and what ever they do they need to shape up soon. I shoot with 4 guys that run newer DVC guns and they don't run for poo, lots of FTF. I hapen they can fix the problems.

I don't have any special knowledge on this, but I'd think it would make sense to go back to a more basic lineup of good quality pistols.  From the beginning, I just haven't understood why they would ditch all of their normally priced models and replace them with flashy looking factory guns that cost just as much as custom/semi-custom and based on reports seem to have more problems.

FWIW, we have two SHOT 2017 models in the house that my wife and I use for 3gun.  We got a good price on them and they run great, which is the niche that I always thought STI filled - that price point between the non-modular metal guns and custom/semi-customs.

In my opinion all the new guns are really ugly and they don't feel balanced when I'm shooting them as good as an edge. The new guns don't have enough weight in the front and to me flip a lot more. Not to mention all the problems everyone seems to be having. Sucks because I absolutely love my apeiro and when new shooters ask me what gun to buy I can't recommend anything from sti and feel good about it so I just tell them to get a Glock 34.

8 hours ago, tha1000 said:

They already kiilled the Hawk?  Hilarious.

Unless they have Dave and Eddie down in the basement building guns, the pricing is pure insanity.

Their product line confuses me. If you find a model you like, you better buy two before they discontinue it! I asked them on FB if they plan on reintroducing a SDC 5.0 bushing model. This was their response: 

"At this time we aren't looking at bringing back any pistols with bushing barrels"

10 hours ago, AlexV said:

Their product line confuses me. If you find a model you like, you better buy two before they discontinue it! I asked them on FB if they plan on reintroducing a SDC 5.0 bushing model. This was their response: 

"At this time we aren't looking at bringing back any pistols with bushing barrels"

Not sure how they are planning on cornering the Timmy market when every gun on their roster weighs 5 pounds.

On 8/10/2018 at 1:09 PM, Jamese35 said:

All I know is they stopped all the single stacks, and what ever they do they need to shape up soon. I shoot with 4 guys that run newer DVC guns and they don't run for poo, lots of FTF. I hapen they can fix the problems.

Three of the new DVC's Open guns at our club too and they are nothing but jam factories.

Nobody can get them running.

32 minutes ago, WoodrowAugustus said:

What do you mean by "Timmy market"?

The tactical market that they are targeting with their "brand ambassadors".. Chris Costa, Bob Keller, Paul Woiciechowski, etc...  all "tactical" guys.

16 minutes ago, tha1000 said:

The tactical market that they are targeting with their "brand ambassadors".. Chris Costa, Bob Keller, Paul Woiciechowski, etc...  all "tactical" guys.

Ah, thanks. 

They discontinued the Costa VIP at the end of last year right as I went to order one.  Went with the DVC Carry instead and it has been great for me.

Looking to sell a Trojan in 45 and an Eagle in 9mm and of course both have been discontinued for a while now, so it's hard to find comparable listing prices.

7 hours ago, rr4406pak said:

Three of the new DVC's Open guns at our club too and they are nothing but jam factories.

Nobody can get them running.

That's a shame. I was looking at them hard but when they cant get them to run I turned and went a different route.

The current lineup is certainly a bit of a head scratcher. 

Everything but the Tactical and Edge are "DVC" branded. There's the one Costa model. There also seems to be a lot of overlap between a few models. 

The Omni and the Costa fill that "tacti-cool" niche without really having a practical application. The DVC carry is kind of in there too. 

I think they should take pare down the DVC lineup to be solely competitive guns. Since they are charging over 3k for them each DVC branded pistol from here on out should have a certificate that states it was personally inspected by either Eddie or Dave. They're trying to use the DVC to compete with the semi custom market and thus far have done a poor job. That might be one way to have a semi custom pistol of their own that actually runs. 

As it stands I'm not sure what is actually changing other than bringing big names into the picture with rather vague references to what exactly it is they will be doing. 

STI really needs to get this right because the market really seems to be moving past them as even people just starting in the 2011 game think "Huh, for a few hundred more (if looking at a DVC) I can get a semi custom from x, y or z that will perform out of the box and hold its value way better than the STI will."

Product build quality has been their main problem over the last few years. Reducing the product line to a smaller set of pistols should allow them to refocus their quality control best practices more effectively. Training people to build a smaller product line properly is a lot easier than training them to build a wide array of guns properly. This is just my thoughts on the subject without any inside knowledge.

I really hope that they get their act together though. STI has been deeply involved in USPSA competition for a very long time at many different levels. Its a bummer that they allowed the build quality of their guns to go into the toilet like they did. But every business usually goes through that kind of phase at some point before reality slaps them in the face. Hopefully this will be the resurrection of STI bringing it back to top of the 2011/1911 gun building heap.

I think its insane for them to dump all 1911 based guns though. That might be a huge marketing and business failure on their part. The used STI 1911 market just got a huge bump in value with this move. 

47 minutes ago, CHA-LEE said:

Product build quality has been their main problem over the last few years. Reducing the product line to a smaller set of pistols should allow them to refocus their quality control best practices more effectively. Training people to build a smaller product line properly is a lot easier than training them to build a wide array of guns properly. This is just my thoughts on the subject without any inside knowledge.

I really hope that they get their act together though. STI has been deeply involved in USPSA competition for a very long time at many different levels. Its a bummer that they allowed the build quality of their guns to go into the toilet like they did. But every business usually goes through that kind of phase at some point before reality slaps them in the face. Hopefully this will be the resurrection of STI bringing it back to top of the 2011/1911 gun building heap.

I think its insane for them to dump all 1911 based guns though. That might be a huge marketing and business failure on their part. The used STI 1911 market just got a huge bump in value with this move. 

Well, I'm inclined to agree with you. A smaller set of pistols is easier to manage. But I feel like they discontinued most of the sensible models.  Why not update and focus on the Edge, Eagle/Marauder, and Trojan (for example) instead of the DVC and Timmy lines? Who knows, maybe STI hired a business consultant who advised them to focus on the significantly larger target market of non-competitors. 

Once again, I don't know what is going on over there from a business decision perspective. But it seems like their previous model of slapping together "Cheaper" 2011/1911's in a poor quality manner didn't work. If they are going to change their ways and focus on building high quality guns, it makes sense to put that effort into the high end models which in turn make more money for them. Once they get that nailed down then maybe it makes sense to offer budget build guns? Pouring a bunch of money and effort into making budget build guns better right off the bat doesn't make sense. At least not to me.